G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

got beat by a mustang GT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 07:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: got beat by a mustang GT

ok guys, more details on our races. the guy had a passenger, i didnt, i have a stock 04 5AT with wheel n tire package, i have about 2500mph on my car now. yes VDC was off, and i was using AT mode, not MM mode... but i noticed everytime he shifted, his car would like hop real quick ahead of me and his tires would screech when he shifted, thats how he got me, i had good take off all the time, but he caught up easily everytime he shifted, thats what got me. we hung steady for awhile but he eventually passed me slowly and got me in the end... sigh... i think his GT was modded, the engine sounded really loud and nasty... who knows.. i really would like to take another run at this guy if i ever see him again...

but anyways, which type of mustangs can the G definetly beat? and which ones are the ones to look out for?

Old 12-07-2003, 07:27 PM

You should have used MM mode.. there is a huge difference.

Don't listen to the MT drivers who are using this opportunity to take subtle cheap shots as if we're too stupid to pick up on it; you should have beated a stock Mustang GT, espeacially with a passenger, if you turn off VDC and switch to MM.

5AT- premiumpackage /performance package/ K&N

Old 12-07-2003, 08:43 PM

I thought MM was slower on our ATs. I thought it was better for the computer to do the shifting, especially when you are readlining it. If you are using the MM, you could easily misshift (a little late, or a little early), but in automatic mode, it will shift right at readline if you have your foot all the way down.

G35 Coupe. Diamond Graphite, Graphite, Premium and wheel and Tire package. Zaino Baby.

Old 12-07-2003, 09:19 PM

majority of cars out there you are correct that D mode usually faster than manual mode "BUT" gcoupe AT is an exception... MM gcoupe will kill D mode gcoupe in the morning, afternoon and midnight...

P.S i don't think there will be mistake on MM mode... seriously if a person even can't do MM mode right i think they don't deserve g(no offense to anyone)... just shift at 6k(tested and it will shift at exactly at redline) in 1st gear, 6200(tested, will shift at redline) in 2nd, 6300(again tested, shift at redline) in 3rd, 6400 in 4th(didn't tested yet),
<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by uheenada on 12/07/03 06:22 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 12-07-2003, 09:35 PM

SunnyD wait till you get it broken in and you get the RPM up there...big difference. Huge PULL in 2nd and 3rd gear. No one can hang with my car once im in 3rd.

2003.5 G35 Coupe Brilliant Silver/Graphite/Premium/Tire Wheel/Aero

Old 12-07-2003, 10:13 PM

My car came into light at around 4-5k miles. Before that, i didn't feel as much power but suddently, after 4k miles, that car turn into a beast. Good luck...

g35mt

Old 12-08-2003, 12:27 AM

"I thought MM was slower on our ATs. I thought it was better for the computer to do the shifting, especially when you are readlining it. If you are using the MM, you could easily misshift (a little late, or a little early), but in automatic mode, it will shift right at readline if you have your foot all the way down.
"

Nope, I did a bunch of runs on the track and the MM is definatelly faster. Yes if you hit the redline, it could be worse than D mode, but thats where reflexes come into play. Practice and you will get it perfect.

Crawford Plenum / Z tube + Stillen Hi-Flow / Borla Dual Exhaust / Stillen Xdrilled+Stotted Rotors
Best 1/4 mile 14.371 @ 100.29, 60ft 2.347

Old 12-08-2003, 01:21 AM

Either the M3 or the G35 coupe is made for drag racing. If you wanted a car to do straight line acceleration you got yourself the wrong car. Many cheaper cars with simple mod can beat the G35 and M3. It should be no surprise.

Old 12-08-2003, 01:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess is the Mustang had a few mods. There are hardly any Mustang GT's that are running stock - most are modded. If I had one, I'd definitely mod it - they are cheap to modify, there are tons of parts available for them, and they respond well to mods.

2003 G35C, 6MT, DG/G, Aero/Nav/Premium
2002 Corvette Z06, Electron Blue/Black

Old 12-08-2003, 02:35 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I raced the 04 maxima with GT from the stop and from roll i just killed him in both times they are peaces of crap for v8 car and i know G will kill it also. Im sure he had mods or something under the hood so dont worry.

-------------------------------------------------
04 Maxima

Old 12-08-2003, 02:58 AM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Nope, I did a bunch of runs on the track and the MM is definatelly faster. Yes if you hit the redline, it could be worse than D mode, but thats where reflexes come into play. Practice and you will get it perfect.

<hr></blockquote>

Yes, this can't be stated often enough for AT guys. MM is faster. It's not close. It doesn't make any sense, since they're using the same gears and have the same drivetrain power loss, but everyone's timeslips agree on this point. A well-tuned AT does indeed out-perform a human in a straight line, but only if it's programmed to shift at the optimal point. Clearly, the G35 Coupe's AT has been (intentionally?) detuned, and does not shift optimally. We would have even better times if it did, but frankly, it's nice to have a good reason to use MM instead, since it's more useful in the corners and more fun in general.

-Jack
Obsidian '03 G35 Sports Coupe
Titanium '03 MX-5 Shinsen #532

Old 12-08-2003, 12:10 PM

"but anyways, which type of mustangs can the G definetly
beat? and which ones are the ones to look out for?"

If you see a newer body mustang with 16" wheels or single exit exhaust... don't waste your gas, that's a V-6.

Most newer GT's will give you a run for your money, unless they're modded at which point they should be able to handle you pretty well. It'll be hard to find a GT that doesn't at least have exhaust and something over the stock intake such as CAI, although it should be a good race. Also, if you see a new GT that you can tell is an auto (rolling forward at a light etc)... you should be able to take him easily. The AT in those cars jacks the performance numbers down into a different realm.

Next, the 94-98 style shouldn't be much of a match. Again, look for the same thing as above to tell the V-6's (although some of the V-6's will have 15's). The GT's were slugs in those days... only 215 hp in 94-97 (allthough 94 and 95 still had the 5.0 so look for modded cars moreso than the 96-98 4.6's), and 225 in 98. You should still take even a lightly modded GT comfortably.

Now, if you see a 2003 Cobra... again, don't waste your gas. There are guys running those things into the 12's with little to no mods. Any Cobra other than that, be assured it runs in the mid 13's so that's up to you.

If you run into a foxbody 5.0... listen to its exhaust. If you can hear it's not stock, it's most likely that a lot of other stuff on it isn't stock either... the 5.0 is about the cheapest and easiest engine to mod on the planet. There are more guys running 11's and 12's in those cars than you can shake a stick at! If it all sounds stock, go for it! The stock 5.0's in 87-90 ran about a 6 second 0-60... and maybe .1-.2 second slower in 91-93... a pretty good race for an AT G. But who knows what the times are like now, where most of those cars have 175,000+ miles on them.

Hope that helps!

Old 12-09-2003, 01:42 AM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

MM is faster. It's not close. It doesn't make any sense, since they're using the same gears and have the same drivetrain power loss, but everyone's timeslips agree on this point.

<hr></blockquote>

AT's do not have the same drivetrain power loss as MT's. AT's almost always have more power loss than an MT, and depending on the transmission, sometimes it's a considerable difference. The simple reason is they're just not as efficient at transferring power, and you can tell that from the much higher heat levels generated by an AT vs. a MT.

The other issue is weight: AT's always weigh more than MT's, sometimes by 100-200 lbs. more.

As for shifting speeds, well that really depends on the driver of the MT car. A good MT driver can shift just as fast as all but the best AT's. Even in cases where the AT is faster at shifting, such as BMW's SMG tranny, the MT model is still faster accelerating.

2003 G35C, 6MT, DG/G, Aero/Nav/Premium
2002 Corvette Z06, Electron Blue/Black

Old 12-09-2003, 02:29 AM

have u guys ever ridden in a mustang or a vette? i love my g but no where near the actual acceleration of those cars. step on the gas in them and your head and body are stuck to the seat, literally. the stang had to be a v6 low end car. if it were a cobra we would not be having this conversation. true they both are pieces of [censored] in quality, but for pure speed factor, nothing like good old american muscle. mods or no mods you should get beat every time or the driver of the stang is a 90 year old out for a stroll.

don't start no sh*t, won't be no sh*t!
'04 g35c DG/G 5AT premium, performance, aero kit, pedals, clears

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: got beat by a mustang GT