G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Which car should I buy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which car should I buy?

it goes like this, in the middle part of last year i was looking to get a used '00 or '01 'vette coupe. then as the year was coming to an end and the 6MT G35 come around i started to look at that. well after going to the dealer and getting jerked around on a lease price i pretty much gave up on the G35. i then began to look at the 350Z and i was ready to buy last week but they couldn't get the color i wanted. well i was driving around last night to some nissan dealerships so i could see the brickyard Z. well one of the dealerships is next door to the infiniti dealer that was jerking me around. well i looked over there and noticed that the black/willow that i turned down. that thing was looking good. then i'm on my way to work this morning and notice 3 or 4 vettes looking real good. my wifes goes out and is behind another vette and is riding next to another. so she calls me while i'm at work and asked was i still thinking about getting a vette because she had seen two of them and they were looking really good. so now i'm back to square one, which one to get? the G35 because of it's sexy looks and nice styling, along with so much more to lists or the 'vette for it's prestige and power or the 350Z because it is making a come back and it still gets the looks. the problem with the vette, i hear is the service, the fact that a new body style will be out next year and can it be driven everyday and be comfortable? but, it sure has some serious power! the thing with the G35 is ............ can i get a dealer to give me a good price on leasing without ripping me off (maybe i should try another dealer first before giving up) and i have a maxima, civic and new accord coupe, as you see all already have back seats. so getting a two seater would be bad after all. with the 350Z it doesn't have a sunroof and i told myself i would never buy another car with a sunroof or targa top. the styling i never really like from jump street, it has just grown on me as of lately. as far as colors goes on the G35 i like ivory/willow with aero/6MT/prem. nav. is not a must, with the vette it would be yellow/black 6MT coupe and with the 350Z i'm stuck between the brickyard/black or frost or the blue/frost 6MT. if i could i would buy all of them and cure the problem that way but, i'm not rich like that. as far as prices go the G35 and Z are both around $37,500 after taxes and tags. the vette is around $32,000 with tax and tags. i know most of you may say the G35 and that's ok as long as i can find a good dealer in maryland or virginia. i'll even travel 3 or 4 hours away for a good deal. one last thing, with the rate i was givin on the G35 for a lease i could buy the vette for less. thanks for help and advise.

Old 02-02-2003, 11:15 PM
Re: Which car should I buy?

HEY I got my car today. I was suppose to get it yesterday went to the dealer to pick it up and they told me the insurance was not sent but, I was on the phone with them and the insurance company on the three way call and they said they would fax the insurance within 1 hr and this was at 4oclock on friday. I go in on saturday cause they called me for pickup, I sign everything and hes showing me the car keys and all and then he tells me that the Insurance company didnt fax it. So I went nuts cause they should have called me and told me so that I could have called them and told them to re fax it. So they call my insuance and they said computers are down and they will go up and in 1/2 hour so I wait and dealer calls again they arent up and then so much stuff happens and they send me back home. So I was pretty angry and disappointed. Didnt know what to expect went today and got the car it is amazing! Truely love it! The exhaust sounds crazy! I was originally looking into getting an M3 but decided this was car was what I wanted because the M3 would take to long and the price was also ridiculous for me right now. I am really happy with my G35 Coupe! The navagation is great too! Good Luck

Old 02-02-2003, 11:34 PM

where are you at? did you lease or buy?

Old 02-03-2003, 12:10 AM

Ok... here is what I think.

Between the 350Z and G35... its the G35 NO QUESTION. Search the boards for posts of guys who traded in thier 350s for a G and you can read why and that way, I won't be repetitive.

BUT.... there is a bigger question here. It sounds like you already have some daily drivers around and this car will be your toy. If so... then its VETTE all the way. Actually, I was thinking about keeping my old car and buying a used Vette just like you. But, when the G35 came about, I decided I could buy it and have only one car. I would get a daily driver with 9/10 of Vette peformance.

But, if I were in your shoes, I would definitely have bought the Vette. Performance is in another league compared to either G35 or 350Z. Plus, there is nothing like the shound of a small block Chevy. Also, the C5 is a proven platform with plenty of mods around for engine, suspension, etc. Not to mention, the C5 looks are to die for.

Only problem is finding a nice used C5.

Old 02-03-2003, 12:17 AM

that's what a friend of mine said today from n.y. what i'm thinking about doing is buying the vette for 2 years and then get the G35 when a turbo is easily available.

Old 02-03-2003, 12:45 AM

I drove an M3 before I bought my Z06 and when I drove the 6MT G35SC, I was immediately making comparisons to the M3. This is a fantastic car for the money and a lot closer to the M3 than the nearly $20K difference would indicate.

Sal

Old 02-03-2003, 06:55 PM

I can understand the dilemma. I guess I can put in my 2 cents since I have both a '99 C5 Coupe and a G35 Coupe.

Here's a pic of my '99 MagRed Coupe. The resolution isn't that great, but the color is right on [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Here's the facts:

2 seats vs. 4 seats
Vette has bigger trunk (Coupe)
Vette has more HP
Vette has targa top (Coupe again)
Vette has more bells and whistles (except NAV)
C5 Vettes are relatively cheap right now, because people are are waiting for the C6. You can probably get a deal on a new one as well as a used one.
Vettes have neater colors to choose from. (Magnetic Red is my favorite per the pic.... Millenium Yellow is my 2nd favorite [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]).
Vettes have a COOL reputation.
Vettes will probably cost you more for insurance.
Vettes will probably cost you more for maintenance
G has better warranty
G has NAV
Gas mileage is about the same for G and C5

Since you will probably be looking at a used Vette, my advice would be to go and drive as many C5 Vettes as you can to get a feel for one that was taken care of, as opposed to one that was not. You will be able to tell after driving about 3 or 4 of them. If you decide on getting the Vett, make sure you have it checked out by a reputable mechanic, before you buy it. Check with the local Vette Club for a mechanic and additional info.

Oh, and check out this link for more info: http://corvetteforum.com

The Corvette Forum is about the best source for anything you want to know about any year Vette.

Gees it sounds like I am a little partial here.... Please don't get me wrong. I really like our new G Coupe, or I wouldn't be here on this forum yakking about it. It is a great car, and we are really enjoying it too.

VettRN

20347-Magnetic Red Vette.jpg

Old 02-03-2003, 07:57 PM

well today was rather interesting. first of all i called another local infiniti dealer and got a lease quote. this one was rather good. well it seems that the old dealer that i was working with didn't sell the black/willow that i was originally going to get. my old salesperson called letting me know that they have a ivory/willow coming in a coupe of weeks. i asked her to ask the finance guy if he could meet the offer that i was givin. she called me back and said yes. so i'll finally get my ivory/willow in a couple of weeks which is good because by then my motorcycle should be sold and i'll have more money for some goodies. after i did the math between the 350Z and the G35 on insurance and car note, it was only a difference of $12 a year. so now i should be able to get the car i orginally wanted. well see.

Old 02-03-2003, 09:49 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

isnt the C5 the yellow one that races in the american lemans or something? you have the standard vette that every drug dealer or ***** has, not even the Z06

<font color=blue>-Rambo</font color=blue>
All your base are belong to us!

Old 02-03-2003, 10:19 PM

VettRN:

AWESOME color choice... exactly the car I would buy.

Yes the C5 you see in ALMS and LeMans is based on the C5 Z06 and is suprisingly stock when compared to other "street appearing" race cars. The absolute biggest difference is that the C5R uses a 427 cubic inch chevy racing motor with around 700-750 horses I would guess.

And, what the hell is that comment about drug dealers and ******? That was an educated comment if I have ever heard one.

Old 02-04-2003, 12:15 AM

i identify the vette with old people i thought drug dealers and ****** road around in old cadillacs

-crumple zones are your friend

Old 02-04-2003, 12:51 AM
G35driver.com Moderator

yeah.....come around to detroit...
caddi's too haha
dont get me wrong, i love vettes, its just a common-man's car these days, its no longer as exotic as how it used to be

<font color=blue>-Rambo</font color=blue>
All your base are belong to us!

Old 02-04-2003, 01:25 AM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

i identify the vette with old people i thought drug dealers and ****** road around in old cadillacs

<hr></blockquote>
I did too until the Z06 came out. This is a "special" Corvette IMO and it aint no Cadillac. Go drive one. I think you would be impressed. It's finally a drivers car again and not just a wet dream of some guy suffering from a mid-life crises.

What cracks me up about this post though is look at Infiniti's rep. I told the sales guy that he couldn't drag me into an Infiniti dealer a year ago. This G35 and the new FX45 are a HUGE departure from the older jazzed up Nissan's that they used to call Infiniti's. The only difference between the older Infiniti's and the Nissan's were leather seats and a coffee bar in the dealer. G20.. Pffft. A lot of extra cash for nothing more than a Sentra with the Jaguar treatment of wood and leather. And they definitely were not drivers cars.

Sal

Old 02-04-2003, 01:36 AM

Geeze guys.. I have never been called "old", "common man", "drug dealer", and "*****" all at the same time before. And all because I own a Corvette too. [img]/w3timages/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

By the way Damen, congrats on getting the White/Willow G35C. That's exactly the color combo that we picked. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] You won't go wrong with a G, Z, or C5. They are all GREAT cars. [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Oh, and thanks for the comments bigel. The Z06 is definately the Vette to recon with nowadays. The local dealer here had two red ones on the lot last week, just waiting for an "old fart" to take one of them home.

Old 02-04-2003, 10:17 AM

I have a 99 c-5 vette for sale. It only has 16k miles. It is white with tan int. chrome factory rims a/t practically new. You can email me for more info.

20461-corvette 028.jpg

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which car should I buy?