G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Group buy on IMPUL rear spoiler, anyone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 07:37 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Group buy on IMPUL rear spoiler, anyone?

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

definitely interested. would like some more info on this.

<hr></blockquote>What specifics? I'll ask.

---------------------------------
http://www.anythingbox.net

Old 01-16-2004, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate knockoffs =(

Old 01-16-2004, 09:10 PM
Premier Dough Slapper
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

$175 is still high for a "knock-off" ...,

Having worked with molding type material and equipmnet for quite sometime in my biz, it wouldnt be to hard to copy, mold and create knock-off Impul spoilers.

In simplified terms.....

You would need to create a shell or mold container the size of the item in question (wooden crate will do at a cost of like $50). Fill it in with molding compound which is available for between $10 and $30 a gallon depending on the application. For a wing like this, 2-3 gallons would be more than enough.

An actual Impul wing to be used as the sample to be molded from.

Once you have the form, all you would need to do is carefull split it in two, coat the inside with a thin layer of special mold release agent, pour in the urathane type material you want to use (also available by the gallon at approx $20-$40 a gallon + hardner solution $5-$10 a bottle) and then place the top back on, sink it in place and clamp it shut. This will dry and in a few hours you'll have a knock-off wing!

Sounds complicated I know, but its not.

Finel prep will include some slight sanding (to remove the line where the halves of the mold joined together) and then primer to make it paint ready. From there, you can just keep molding as many wing sets as you want.

Just an estimate on material cost only (not labor) for each wing set (3 pieces as thats what the Impul is) wouldnt run ya more than $40-$50 and that still respectively high, but I'm talking about a "home based" opertion that can yeild very profesional results.

Something I wanted to throw your way to think about when you're dealing with these "big companies" that may want to make this wing for ya at a price of $175 is kind of high for a knock off (being that they had no creation in the part, design patent, or R&D in creating it) unless the price you qouted us is inflated with both your own profit and the manufacturers......

PS: If Impul has an internattional design patent on the wing, you could run into some trouble....

"See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a *****, but only enough blood to run one at a time."

Old 01-16-2004, 09:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm definately in!

PS: how is impul going to do anything if i buy the wing?? makes no sense! are they going to come over here and take the wing off of my car?? your'e crazy.

isn't the cf hood and trunk you have a copy from Nissan???? well are you going to get in trouble for having a copy of their hood and trunk???

Old 01-16-2004, 09:42 PM

I just got the real deal. (Thanks adidaskobe) I am having a body shop paint it. They charged me $127.

Should be on the car by mid next week, then the A$$ of chops car will be all over the internet.

See Ya!

Chops

Old 01-16-2004, 09:42 PM

I just got the real deal. (Thanks adidaskobe) I am having a body shop paint it. They charged me $127.

Should be on the car by mid next week, then the A$$ of chops car will be all over the internet.

See Ya!

Chops

Old 01-16-2004, 10:15 PM
Premier Dough Slapper
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Impul being an aftermarket designer and manufacturer of body kits, may in fact have patent that design, like many body kit builder do, so they're not knocked-off.

And what can they do? If you want to copy their wing, mass produce it and sell it, then you can plainly put - be sued. As a purchaser, you wont be held liable (you can always claim, I didnt know). My reference was twd the maker not the buyer.

If you have a DESIGN PATENT on an item, you can not copy that design, no matter what its made out of - PERIOD!

In regards to the carbon fiber hood, Infiniti does not hold a design patent on the hood or trunk as well as 100's of other parts on the car. Doing so would take too much time and cost them a fortune. They focus on patenting more imporatnt items (in their eyes) like certain electrnics and misc components that they have invested more time and R&D into.

A smaller company like Impul that doesnt produce tens of thousands of the same parts, but rather smaller runs like a few hundred, would be more likely to get a design patent on their items. It would pay for them to do so, and thus they'll be able to keep their prices where they want them.

Look into design patents if you still have any doubts about what I'm saying.....

"See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a *****, but only enough blood to run one at a time."

Old 01-16-2004, 10:34 PM

the guy making htis kit makes knockoffs of EVERYTHING...I wish he'd get sued already.

Old 01-16-2004, 10:59 PM
i.love.gold
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

So if it is so cheap to make, I don't feel bad paying $175...screw the $450+ for the original.

Ivory Pearl coupe

Old 01-17-2004, 11:21 AM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

$175 is still high for a "knock-off" ...,

<hr></blockquote>I can't do anything about the price. They are providing a service that no one else is. This is something I want, so I have to go along with the price. It's not up to me to determine what the actual cost of making the product is if there is no one else doing the same thing for comparison reasons. I've already stated that I am not willing to pay $500 for a small rear lip, legit or not. Sort of like when you go to a ball game and pay $4 for a cup of soda. I really want a soda, and they are the only ones offering it to me. But if the guy two rows behind me opens his backpack and starts selling cans of no-frills supermarket brand soda for $2, I'm game. Hook a brother up. But thats just me. I don't expect everyone in the stadium to be ok with that I'm doing. Just looking for 20 others like me.

And for those interested, the cost might actually go up since some people have requested that it be made of urethane instead of fiberglass. I'll keep you updated if there is a price breakdown using different materials. However, in order for this to work, all 20 need to choose the same material. If people want other material, then another 20 will be needed for that.

---------------------------------
http://www.anythingbox.net

Old 01-17-2004, 12:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well said. how many do we have already?

Old 01-17-2004, 12:34 PM
RugRatCoupe

I know what your saying about 20 units of the same material, & I'm interested, but Carbon Fiber would be Sweet...

Old 01-17-2004, 02:10 PM

im in also! for sure where do i pay?

Old 01-17-2004, 02:27 PM

I like this spoiler the better than the IMPUL one.

172474-cpv35_r_sp.jpg

Old 01-17-2004, 02:29 PM

I rather would prefer if you make this one and I think people would like it too, since it's not an 3 piece spoiler. It would be also less $$$. IMO

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Group buy on IMPUL rear spoiler, anyone?