G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Rear Turn Signals

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 02:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Turn Signals

I am brand new to the G35 Driver Web Site. I've been reading some of the posts for the past few days and found it fantastic. I have the 5AT Coupe, Brilliant Silver, Performance Tire, Premium, Nav, and Aero kit on order and should receive it sometime in March. Forgive me for not knowing all the lingo yet but I'm learning. I guess I'm kind of old for this car (51), but I love the looks of it and judging from all of the posts that I've read, you guys do too!

I have one stupid question though and I hope it hasn't already been answered. I too am a nut for LED lights of any kind and I wondered if anyone had tried using an LED 7440 bulb for the turn signal. I know many have discussed duplicating the ring of LEDs for the turn signal area, but what about a single 7440 fixture designed with the ring of LEDs in the bulb itself?

Thanks for listening and again, forgive my lingo and question until I become more familiar with this site.

Old 02-02-2004, 05:05 PM
Re: Rear Turn Signals

I to am a nut for LEDs, but to my knowledge, there aren't any plug-n-play LEDs that will both fit and have the same or better illumination than the incandescents that are in the signals.

Some work has been done on the G fronts however, you can see it at ClearCorners.com.

Black/Willow 03.5 6MT, Premium, Navi, Aero, SAT
350Z Nismo CAI

Old 02-03-2004, 06:50 AM

Thanks for the reply. I've seen the Clear Corners web site but I'm not sure I want to take a chance on getting pulled over in NJ for non-amber lenses. I'm actually more interested in getting the rear turn signals to also be LEDs. I found a few web sites that sell 7440 LED bulbs. Have you seen this one?: http://autolumination.com/7443_7440.htm

Is there any reason why they wouldn't fit if they claim to be 7440 replacements?

Old 02-03-2004, 01:56 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

Hey... which bulb to get? 7440 super white, or red???

By the way, welcome to the club [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] and dont worry, you are NOT too old, many of us here are well into our 40's and 50's (not me though... haha)

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c-6MT-DG/Willow/HyperGround/BorlaExhaust/350Z-intake<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by ramborami on 02/03/04 11:02 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 02-03-2004, 02:00 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

pic

G35c-6MT-DG/Willow/HyperGround/BorlaExhaust/350Z-intake

182335-untitled.jpg

Old 02-03-2004, 09:46 PM

Hey, thanks for the replies Rambo. I think I'll try the 7440 super reds once I get my car in March. If they look good, I may consider replacing the front turn signal bulbs as well.

Thanks again......

G35 at 51

Old 02-03-2004, 11:15 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

Yeah Elussive, i am about to do it... i am gonna buy 1 bulb only and then test it out for a few days, so incase something goes wrong, i only mess up 1 housing [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

But can somebody please confirm that the correct bulb is the 7440, or is it the 7443??? I've looked in the Service manual and could not find it

G35c-6MT-DG/Willow/HyperGround/BorlaExhaust/350Z-intake<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by ramborami on 02/03/04 08:50 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 02-04-2004, 12:35 AM
G35driver.com Moderator

I TAKE THAT BACK....

after some research, this is what i came up with:

https://g35driver.com/forums/showfla...view=&sb=&vc=1

Basically, the bulb will fit fine, but the recommendation is to go with at least an 11-LED setup as 9 will probably not be bright enough for the Day-time (thats a huge safety issue for me)
And in addition, the bulb will blink really fast, so you will need to hook up a resistor to the wiring near the bulb to restore the blinking speed.

Sorry guys, i am shying away from this mod, for now...

G35c-6MT-DG/Willow/HyperGround/BorlaExhaust/350Z-intake<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by ramborami on 02/03/04 09:39 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 02-04-2004, 10:05 AM

I plan to be ordering some LED bulbs... and as soon as the weather gets better I will put them in. (Lousy Canadian winters keep my G in storage)

check out this site also: http://www.superbrightleds.com/led_prods.htm

all these bulb sizes and types give me such a headache.... mostly because I want to order and replace a whole bunch of light at the same time (reverse light, courtesy light, clearance light, etc)

and I *think* I have all the correct bulb sizes now...
if no one else gets to this first, then I will just be the guinea pig.

Old 02-04-2004, 10:08 AM

btw...G35_51:

has anyone looked closely at the turn signal? as far as I can remember, I don't think the bulb is actually exposed and so you wouldn't be able to see the LEDs anyway.

maybe somebody can confirm this...

Old 02-04-2004, 10:38 AM

Hey Mr. Ellusive. Yes, my reasoning was to "complete" the LED look of the rear end. I love the way LEDs "snap" on and I figured the look of a turn signal snapping on and off while the LED brake lights are firing would really complete the back of the car. If all goes well, I think they'd look good for the front turn signal as well. Since I have't taken delivery on my car yet, this is all hypothesis as to whether the 11 LED cluster 7440/7443 bulb fixture will fit or not but if someone else has a chance to try it first, I might be able to learn from their experience. The LED brake lights and Center Mounted LED on the spoiler were very instrumental in my decision to buy this car. I just want to add to the "look". Thanks again for everyone's responses.

Old 02-04-2004, 01:25 PM

The page fluffy posted has the best LEDs I've see so far, well at least the highest number (19) in one bulb for the 7440. Maybe that would be as bright or brighter than stock. I'll see if I can get a set and try them. I'll also look into the resistor setup.

Black/Willow 03.5 6MT, Premium, Navi, Aero, SAT
350Z Nismo CAI

Old 02-04-2004, 02:14 PM
FGC President
Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

i read somewhere before that someone has used these bulbs and said that they blink a lot faster than the stock ones and they had to use a resistor to slow them down. so it didnt look like the blinker was goin crazy.

Daniel

DP 5AT Coupe/5% Tint/Ground Kit/Clear Corners/Shock Sensor/L.E.D. Hood Lights

Old 02-04-2004, 02:30 PM

Yes, I also found that the SuperBrightLEDs website has a good supply of specialty LED bulbs. The need for a resistor makes sense since teh current draw of an LED is much less than an incandescent bulb. That's how the car's flasher determines if a bulb is out or not. If the current draw is too low, it determines that a bulb is out and the flasher blinks faster. By placing a 6 ohm, 50 watt resistor across the same wires as the LED would be, it simulates the current draw of a normal bulb. If they look good, let me know which one worked the best and I'll get some before my car arrives. Thanks.

G35_51

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rear Turn Signals