G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Clear corners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 02:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear corners

I just got clear corners for my coupe... was about to install them, and just wanted to know if i should have white bulbs. Does it look ridiculous with the stock bulbs? thanks ~chris

00 Nogaro S4 (326 HP)
Soon to be black G35

Old 02-03-2004, 03:18 PM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Clear corners

I replaced the amber bulbs with PIAA Super White 168 wedge bulbs (they are blue bulbs but project white). Looks good with white bulbs whatever your install. Just DON"T go blue colored lights b/c although they may look cool, they are illegal.

The amber bulb in the clear corner looks like a fried egg both in the day and when illuminated at night.

For bulb specs see link:

http://www.geocities.com/lakerscentral/g35lights.xls
(props to Brian Kincaid for this chart!)

Old 02-03-2004, 03:20 PM

I left the amber bulbs in mine. That way I'm less apt to be stopped. But the stock amber lenses have white bulbs. You can switch, and see if you like them.

Lou

Old 02-03-2004, 04:00 PM

I just ordered my PIAA 168s and they should be here soon. The clears look okay with the stock bulbs but I want them to look better. I'm already driving around w/o a front plate, might as well get the illegal lights too!

Old 02-03-2004, 05:32 PM

There is a huge improvement with the PIAA bulbs if you have clear corners. The stock clear bulbs look VERY yellow compared to the PIAA whites.

<font color=blue>04 DG/G Coupe - St. Louis, MO
Premium, Aero, Performance, Splash Guards
Tint - Grounding Kit - UItinon 6000k - Rebadged
Clear Corners - PIAA Plasmas - K&N Drop-In</font color=blue>

Old 02-03-2004, 06:24 PM

Am I missing something here? Why are white bulbs illegal on for side markers? I see so many cars with white bulbs....

Does anyone have any pictures of the clear corners with the stock amber bulbs and then pics of the white bulbs with clear corners?

Mods:
Aluminum racing pedals
JWT Pop Charger / Z-tube Combo

Old 02-03-2004, 06:31 PM

I believe, not only are they illegal because they are white, but also because they have no reflecter. Look at the stock amber lenses, and there is a small rectangular reflecter over the bulb, in the clear version, no reflector. This is why the bulb is visable. Anyway, Arizona requires no front plate, so I'm OK there. But, retaining the amber bulb in my clear corners makes me feel a little more cop proof. So far, so good.

Lou

Old 02-03-2004, 07:24 PM

I too see so many cars with clear side markers with white bulbs. But, I think you will tend to draw attention from the POlice if they are as bright or seemingly brighter than typical clear bulbs. It seems the intention of the side marker aka clear corner is meant to provide faint light, not project a beam of white (or blue) light out like a headlight (safety issues for oncoming cars).

In my experience and talking with my police friends, they will tend to let someone pass as long as any accessory light appears subtle (which is a matter of personal perspective) and is legal (e.g. no underbody neon, neon license, even interior neon, etc.)
They would definitely stop you if the light looked blue as this is reserved for emergency vehicles, specifically law enforcement vehicles.
This is also true for all of those blue LEDs people use for alarm LEDs, scanner LEDs, etc. They say those are the easiest tickets to write, just snap a polaroid of the blue LED flashing and BAM! you're nailed, no defense.

PIAA 168 wedge super white and xtreme white bulbs are good choices but are somewhat directional. Another option with more diffuse white light (less directional) that was mentioned previously in another thread were Kryptons but I wasn't able to find any locally so I just stuck with my PIAAs. Looks pretty snazzy compared to amber bulb. Sorry I have no pictures with CC and amber bulb.

Old 02-04-2004, 01:41 AM

i got clear corners, but i didnt even put a bulb in there. i think it looks cleaner because the color never matches if u put a bulb in there.

Old 02-06-2004, 12:10 AM

If you want the clear look and to stay legal there are two options. First, take the amber bulb and dip the tip in some high temp silver paint (like the kind you paint an engine with). That keeps it from looking amber when not lit. Then follow this <a target="_blank" href=https://g35driver.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=16&Number=155862&page=&vie w=&sb=&vc=1>link</a> for a DIY on how to make the bulb only light up when blinking. Finally to really be complete follow this <a target="_blank" href=http://www.6mt.net/shop/sidemarker.asp>link</a> to make the other amber side marker blink with the front one. I am sure you could make it only blink and not illuminate full time if you tried (I will try someday).

Anyway, if you follow all these you will be legal and look all clear except when turning.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

2004 G35 coupe - 4150K high/fogs - more to come

Old 02-06-2004, 04:33 AM

Here are pix with my CC's and PIAA Xtreme White bulbs during day.

184306-blue bulb in day.jpg

Old 02-06-2004, 04:36 AM

Blue bulb @ night

184308-bluebulb at night.jpg

Old 02-06-2004, 04:37 AM

PIAA Xtreme White on the corners and clearance strips. (My personal favorite pix)

184309-xtreme white 2.jpg

Old 02-06-2004, 04:39 AM

Xtreme whites in clearence strips and CC. Matches pretty closely with HID.

184310-Image011.jpg

Old 02-06-2004, 12:22 PM

Personally, I'm not crazy about the clear corner lights. It's just too plain looking. I think the amber adds some color- especially on a black car. Just my opinion, but when I see the clear corners on a black Porsche I tend to change my mind.

2003 Black/Willow Coupe- Aero/Sport/Prem

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clear corners