G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

3M bra

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2003, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3M bra

What's up guys, i'm looking for a place in the NY tri-state area meaning the 5 boroughs where they install 3M on my baby. I've called up a couple a places and they are charging me about $1000 which I think is a complete rip off. So if you guys know of any place which charges around 500 to 600 let me know

Old 02-14-2003, 04:26 PM
Re: 3M bra

that's the same with me. i'm looking for some place in maryland area.

Old 02-18-2003, 07:48 PM

sorry guys, but i dont mean to sound like a dumb@ss but what is 3M?

Old 02-18-2003, 07:51 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

its ok [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]
3M is the company that manufactures these clear bra's, basically its a clear material that goes right on the car, its installed just like how Tint is on windows..... except its clear so you cant really tell that it is there, except if you look reallyyyyy close

<font color=blue>-Ramb<font color=red>0</font color=red></font color=blue>
Yeah, Mongolians!

Old 02-18-2003, 08:02 PM

What's the point of it, if you can't tell it's there?

Old 02-18-2003, 08:14 PM

AReddy22, the point is you get protection for your front end while letting the natural beauty of the coupe show through.

lawman

Old 02-18-2003, 08:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most poeple including myself hate the ugly Retro 80's look a normal black bra makes on a new car. Also some bra types have been known to scratch the paint as well as make the paint look less faded than the rest of the car after time. The clear bra offers all the advantages ie: Protection of the paint from dings and scratches by road debris but since it is clear and not very visible it doesn't create the eye sore on the front of the car. It's personal opinion too, I feel that the car is a Luxury Sport Coupe not deserving of what I consider the 80's knight Rider look, LOL = D

Jason
Laser Red 03' Prem/Aero/6MT/SnRf

Old 02-18-2003, 11:01 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

Hahahahaha. Agreed.

<font color=blue>-Ramb<font color=red>0</font color=red></font color=blue>
Yeah, Mongolians!

Old 02-19-2003, 03:04 AM

Get a hold of Thomas at Secondary Exposure(SE-EX.com) hes and excellent installer and is the only shop we refer work to in your area. He also has a very good deal going right now for G35s, tell him Jeremy from Invisiguard sent you, he'll take care of you!
Jeremy
Invisiguard.@sbcglobal.net

Old 02-19-2003, 11:25 AM

I had mine done about 2 weeks ago...a week after I got my car. I can tell you that it's the installer that will make or break the quality. I had Edre at Envisage Design Labs here in SoCal do it and he did an excellent job. I really like the fact that it is practically "invisible" assuming you're not looking for it. I can wash and polish my car as if it's not there. Plus, it's not tacky like those butt ugly traditional "bras".

Old 02-19-2003, 04:28 PM

Could you please give me their phone # and how much they charged you ? I'm sure that the plastic 3M bra will eventually discolor or chip, is there a way to easily remove it and not destroy the paint under it ?

Thanks for your help. I have a silver G and its already getting nicked by road debris.

Old 02-19-2003, 04:48 PM

charog,

I don't remember their number but you can get it from their website.....www.envisagedesignlabs.com

I had mine done during a group buy and the total was $516.00 I believe. It's probably now around $600-$650.00 ish. This is for the entire bumper, hood and side mirrors. I would call them.

As for discoloring, it should not be much of an issue as long as you do not have a white car, where it will be more noticeable. As for chipping, it will obviously occur with a high enough impact.....but better to have the film chipped than the paint.

From what I understand, you can always remove the film....just heat a corner of the film with a blow dryer and grab the edge and pull slowly. There should be no paint damage at all as long as you did not recently paint the car and apply the film immediately.

The film should be very unnoticeable on your silver paint job. I have a Desert Platinum and it blends in very nicely. Give me your e-mail address and I will try and send you/anyone here some pics of my car with the film.

Get it done! You won't regret it!

Old 02-19-2003, 06:09 PM

From an earlier post by Invisiguard:
On white cars its best to use Avery Dennison paint protection film rather than 3M since it resists yellowing better than 3M. 3M is still excellent on every other color but will show a slight yellow tint only on white cars over time. If anyone has any questions about paint protection film drop me a line at Invisiguard@sbcglobal.net
Jeremy
...dean

Seattle area

Old 02-19-2003, 08:12 PM

if you're not into the clear bra thing then let me suggest something else. my brother just got a vw golf gti 337 (needless to say a slow POS) and had it coated with teflon. it protects the paint from scratches, fading and best of all it completely alleviates the task of waxing your car for the next 3 years but makes the car shine like it just came off the showroom floor. not to mention, it makes washing it a breeze. anyways, just a thought.

Old 02-19-2003, 11:15 PM

Snake oil, Dupont is on record stating that Teflon doesn't protect your paint any better than a normal wax... it isn't going to last 3 years and the shine will depend upon the ingredients in the mix, Teflon itself isn't high gloss.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 3M bra