G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Red Car = Ticket Collector

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 09:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red Car = Ticket Collector

Yep...got my first ticket tonight in the G. It's a week old! For a celebration, I'm mailing my ticket in as NOT GUILTY! This one was so bogus it actually has me mad (which I rarely get!).

I was driving towards Hartford last night at about 70mph. I was SPECIFICALLY keeping my speed down because I'm still breaking the car in. Out of nowhere, in my rearview I see flashing lights. Cop pulls me over and told me he "paced" me at 85. First of all, when I'm wrong...I admit it...but there was no way I was doing 85 unless my speedo is broken. Also, in order to pace...doesn't the cop have to follow me for a bit? He just raced up behind me and nabbed me...

So anyway...he comes back to the car and explains that he is going to drop the ticket to 80 to save me some money and told me that it would be "easier to fight in court". Huh?! I've been reading some things on "pacing" and there seems to be a split opinion as to whether it's easily beaten in court. I'd like any input I can get because I'm definitely going to court on this one. I've been several times, and the cop NEVER shows which means at the least, the fine gets reduced.

'04 6MT, Laser Red/Graphite, Prem, Navi, 4-Piece Aero, BSM

Old 02-08-2004, 10:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Red Car = Ticket Collector

you need to request his speedometer calibration certificate.

03 6MT coupe, red/willow, premium, aero, splash guards, alum pedals, clear corners, 15% tint

Old 02-08-2004, 10:30 PM

Redwillow-

I've heard about this previously. Do I request this when I go to court? I'm 99% sure that the officer will not be there. Since that's the case, do I need to request this from the department ahead of time? Won't it be favorable for me if I go to court, the officer isn't there, and there is no certificate for proof?

Old 02-08-2004, 10:35 PM

I love the RED but I agree with you it is a ticket magnet.
You definitely should contest it!
BTW, Statik, I still haven't heard "boo" about my car yet although it was supposed to be here the week of Feb 6, which on my calendar was last week.

Old 02-08-2004, 10:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ideally, you would told em his speedometer must be broken, and asked to see it when you got cited.

But if you go to court, plead not guilty, and dispute the validitity of the citation they will have to produce it.

03 6MT coupe, red/willow, premium, aero, splash guards, alum pedals, clear corners, 15% tint

Old 02-08-2004, 10:55 PM

Adnama-

Oh man...still in the "wait zone"!? What have they told you so far about delivery...is it "on the truck"? If you remember, I went though some serious heartache with Harte about this, but as it turns out, there is just no real solid tracking system for following these cars from Japan. I was definitely in your shoes a week ago, so I feel your pain but like everyone else around here says, it's SO worth the wait!

To be honest, I've only driven it like 3 times since last Friday because the weather has been so awful. It's actually a good time for your car to be delayed! I hope it comes soon tho...and when it does, I hope its sunny and dry!

Old 02-09-2004, 07:26 AM
Banned

Statik - you admitted in writing on this forum that you were exceeding the legal speed limit. Lets hope the officer doesnt print it out and bring it as evidence. Hey - you never know!

04 G35C DG AT
Prem Aero Perf
V1
Blizzaks
R splash Guards

Long Island, New York, USA

Old 02-09-2004, 02:19 PM
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

All tickets have to be signed for but it does say at the bottom that signing the ticket does not mean you are guilty, I have tried to not sign the ticket thinking that if I went to court they would bring it up but the cop actually told me to read it and he was correct it says this at the bottom.
Paul.

2004 G35 Sedan with sports package .
1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 completely modified
1999 VW Jetta
1998 Lincoln Navigator
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/baj...dir=/My+Photos

Old 02-09-2004, 05:09 PM

In late august had the options between a black 2004 (november arrival), a 2003.5 Silver or a Red 2003....went with the Silver. The car itself is a magnet for the police, i couldn't imagine it in red.

But IMO this car in red is sooooo fing hot

G35 Coupe Brilliant Silver/Graphite/Premium/Aero/ Blizzaks and 17's till March /

Old 02-09-2004, 05:45 PM

I would reccomend gettting a Lawyer. I hired a lawyer for my last ticket and it made all the difference. No points on my liscense and I was caught in a much worse situation than you were.

Good Luck,

Sam

Old 02-09-2004, 07:40 PM

Blitz-
Funny man! Honestly though, if the cop actually shows up to court, and brings this thread, I'll write the state the check and take the guy out for a beer. That's what I'd call "doing your homework!"

Urban-
In CT, we don't have to "sign" our tickets. They get issued, and then handed to us. All we have to do is send them back, either with a check, or without indicating "not guilty".

Sanchez-
I appreciate the advice. May I ask what your situation was? I actually consulted with my attorney about this. His advice was that since it wasn't a very serious offence, that I fight the ticket on my own to see how far I can get. He explained that if things don't seem to be going my way, I can always request a continuance to obtain a lawyer. The judge cannot refuse this request: it's the law. I'm hoping that I'll get a reasonable judge, but if not, I certainly will retain my lawyer.

Old 02-10-2004, 03:03 PM

I have the red and drive much faster than I should and I have yet to get stopped for a traffic violation.

But, if I'm not mistaken the cop must be present in court or it will get thrown out. I wouldn't worry about obtaining a lawyer yet for a traffic ticket. It seems a bit overkill especially considering the likelihood of the cop actually showing up to court. It would be a waste of money.

Ryan

03 Red Coupe w/ Willow, Premium and Nav
Strictly stock for the time being.

Old 02-10-2004, 05:37 PM

I was busted Drag Racing and doing 70 in a 30. Looking at a year in jail and revocation of my DL.

Ended up with a 160 fine and 8hrs of traffic school. No points on my liscense, no conviction.

The lawyer made all the differnce.

Again good luck!

Old 02-10-2004, 08:24 PM

most tickets are given to make money for the town. thats the bottom line. and its difficult to fight a speeding ticket. and if you lose not only will you have to pay the tixket, you will have to pay court costs and a whole bunch of other fees. in jersey some cops even sell your ticket info to lawyers and are able to send you advertisements before your info is available through public records. the whole thing is a scam. bottom line, somebody has to get paid. and a lawyer will proabably help. lawyers are friends with the judges and they can usually help.

Old 02-10-2004, 08:29 PM

by the way, i dont know how it is in ct, but in jersey, the court gets three chances. so, if the cop doesnt show up the first time, you will have to show up a second time, and maybe third. and if the cop doesnt show up the third time, then it gets dismissed. and you could try to do it on your own, and if the judge isnt reasonable then adjourn the case and come back with a lawyer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Red Car = Ticket Collector