G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Put the 260hp in my coupe and give me back $4000.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 03:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Put the 260hp in my coupe and give me back $4000.

Yes, yes yes, that is what I'm trying to say all along. Both are great cars but Infiniti is so smart that they put 20HP in the same 3.5 so that they car mark up the price of the coupe. I would of still pay the difference for the coupe's body, because infiniti did such a awesome job designing it.

Note to: " bigapplevip ", if this a such a crappy tread, why would it have 29 posts already. This is a forum for discussions and not for insults, so please go make some more of your home made clear side markers.

Old 02-18-2004, 07:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's ignorant to think that ANYBODY chose the coupe of the sedan because of the extra 20 HP. Fact of the matter is that most, if not all people that chose the coupe did so for many other reasons, such as the nicer styling, sweet 18" wheels with Brembo brakes, awesome exhaust sounds to name just a few.

And besides, just because the engine is the same between the two does NOT mean they both put out the same HP. There ARE differences, such as the exhaust system and ECU tuning.

The sedan owners can moan all they want, but I think the coupe has the edge when it comes to 0-60 times and quarter mile times. It's a well-known fact that the 6mt coupe has some extra weight in the form of tires/wheels/brakes as compared with an otherwise identicle sedan, yet the coupe still runs a bit faster in MOST published tests. That accounts for the real-world HP difference right there.

Old 02-18-2004, 07:44 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I'm certain that within a controlled environment, the 280 h.p. versus 260 h.p. myth would be instantly dispelled. Given a large enough sample group, the true r.w.h.p. numbers for all (stock) G's would be VERY close - putting an end to this so called "debate".

<hr></blockquote>

Forget rwhp numbers.... why? Simple-- the two cars are not on equal ground when comparing by rwhp. The only true way to know for sure would be to compare the two engines on an engine dyno, and we all know nobody is going to do that to their new Infiniti, right?

That said, the only people that actually HAVE done this are Nissan/Infiniti engineers themselves, and if they rate the sedan at 260 and the coupe at 280, then so be it. Until someone proves them wrong using and engine dyno, then I believe the numbers, like it or not.

BTW, the reason that the 260 HP sedan (MT) is as close to the 280 HP coupe (MT) is simply because of the extra weight that the coupe must carry around, which, by the way, is mostly UNSPRUNG weight. And that has more impact than an identicle amount of weight just thrown into the car.

Old 02-18-2004, 07:52 PM

It is merely a marketing ploy used to sucker ignoramuses into believing mythical data.

<hr></blockquote>

I find it incredible that someone with nothing but an opinion (no hard facts or proof of any kind) has the nerve to call anyone a sucker or ignoramus for believing an auto manufacturers HP claim.

Wake up and join the real world-- There have been some recent cases of manufacturers overrating HP in the past, Ford with their Mustang Cobra in 1999, and even the Mazda Miata. Not to mention the RX8 also. Now, wouldn't Nissan be beyond foolish to knowingly publish false HP ratings? After all, in this day and age, plenty of enthusiasts have access to message boards like this one and the truth would eventually be found out, right?

Since you are so vocal about this subject, I'd like for YOU to disprove the HP numbers of either the coupe or sedan. When you can accomplish that, maybe I'll buy you a beer or something. But in the meantime, look into the mirror before calling others a sucker.

Old 02-19-2004, 12:11 PM

I don't know the exact weights of each wheel, but I can guarantee you that the total of the wheels/tires/brakes is heavier than those on the sedan.

BTW, the 18 inch coupe wheels are bigger in diameter AND wider. Anyway, my point is that these 3 things are unsprung weight, which plays a bigger role in performance than regular, supported weight.

Old 02-19-2004, 04:49 PM

Performance isn't everything. $4000 is reasonable for the looks of the coupe alone, which I love. Well, except for that big butt of a bumper on the back. That's where the sedan has it over the coupe. Maybe it's the butt of the coupe that make it weigh more than the sedan? Plastic surgery or lipo-suction anyone?

Seriously, I'm looking to buy one in the near future which is why I'm browsing this forum. Also looking at the new Chrysler as well which I think is more exciting than its M-B brother.

Old 02-19-2004, 05:19 PM

$4000 is reasonable for the looks of the coupe alone, which I love. Well, except for that big butt of a bumper on the back

<hr></blockquote>

I agree with you..... even if the coupe had 20 HP less, I'd still choose it over the sedan based upon looks alone.

But I also really like the "butt" of the coupe. It looks excellent from a rear 3/4 view.