G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Ripping thru Tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ripping thru Tires

Our family has burned thru Lincoln LS V-8's Bridgestones in 23k miles and our EVO 8 Yokohama's won't even see 15k miles. Considering we drive hard (no burnouts tho), how long should the 18's last on our newly bought laser red coupe? I'm staying up late for replies! Thanx.

Old 02-18-2004, 11:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Ripping thru Tires

I'm at just shy of 22K on my LR coupe and from the looks of it I think I can squeeze another 8k out of them maybe. Considering the fact that I'm an aggressive driver AND this is my daily commuter I am pleased with how long the Pilot 18's have lasted. Peace.

-Jason
Laser Red '03 6MT

Old 02-18-2004, 11:11 PM

thank-you RR8, can't believe they lasted that long.

Old 02-18-2004, 11:54 PM
Deep Sea Moderator

Wow. I'm pretty sure that's a record.

Russ

Black 6MT Coupe
Jax, FL
PS2 and Headrest Monitors Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 04:18 AM

I got 13k on my tires and have a significant amount over 50%...cant really measure how much exactly.

'03 G35c DG/G 6mt, full options

Old 02-19-2004, 07:55 AM
G SQUAD
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've gpt 22.8k on mine but I will change them out before they even make it to 24k. I dont think the pilots would be safe at 30k but thats just my opinion. I dont push the car too hard cause she is my daily commuter as well. No burnouts and only 2 runs at the drag strip.

Old 02-19-2004, 09:01 AM
Deep Sea Moderator

If you can't measure than how do you know you're at 50%? I thought I was doing good and then measured and I had 5/32 left. That's about 30%.

Russ

Black 6MT Coupe
Jax, FL
PS2 and Headrest Monitors Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 09:49 AM

i had to replace my pilots at about 20K..

6MT Coupe
NAV-TV&PS2 // JL 12W6v2, JL 500/1
Injen CAI // Borla Exhaust // Eibachs // Volk SF Challenges

Old 02-19-2004, 06:17 PM

im at between 30 and 31k right now. they are still going but definitely will need to be changed soon. by the way, i drive hard but no burnouts.

Old 02-20-2004, 08:46 AM
G SQUAD
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow 30k on these tires with hard driving! I dont see how you still drive the car. With a mere 23k I cant get anywhere unless I watch the throttle. Granted there is more sand on the roads than on the beaches around here but having traction is a distant memory. Just this morning the VDC saved my **** 3 or 4 times from losing it around slight turns that were covered in sand. And even getting on a highway, pulling second hard leads to a ton of wheel spin. Swap them suckers out.

Old 02-23-2004, 11:58 AM

Gforce I know what you're talking about, I find it almost impossible to believe that people are getting that kind of life out of the Pilot Sports. I've got just over 15K on my Coupe, I DO NOT drive the car hard (ok, once in a great while I have some fun, but no burnouts or anything like that), and my tires are all but BALD and absolutely need to be replaced. I wonder if the road conditions where I live (Eastern PA) have anything to do with it, compared to driving on pristine California pavement?? Our roads absolutely stink...

2003 G35 Coupe 6MT Leather
Premium, Aero
"There is no spoon"

Old 02-23-2004, 01:37 PM

HA! California is broke. The freeways around here are completely tore up, and half the times I'm driving past parts where the freeway seems to be sinking. I swore I was gonna launch myself off the dips a few times. Luckily most my commute is on a toll road that is totally smooth.

But from driving a little on the EC, yeah the roads seem kinda bad back there. I hope I can get at least 25k out of mine.

2004 Twilight Blue Coupe
6 spd
Premium Package
Aero Package

Old 02-23-2004, 02:28 PM

I'll admit it's been YEARS since I've been on roads in California, but in most of the state, as well as places like Florida, what you DON'T have to contend with is ice & snow - and THAT kills roads faster than s**t through a goose! Not just the potholes and stuff that it creates, but the salt, sand and other chemicals / abrasives that the road dep't puts down in a (vain) effort to keep traction available to idiots like me that try to drive cars like the G in those horrible conditions.
I think the sand and salt alone could account for a decrease of 15 - 20% of total tire life.
I expect I'll get better life out of my next set of tires though, since I bought a beater Jeep Cherokee for bad weather / winter driving (and to keep overall mileage down) a few months back.

2003 G35 Coupe 6MT Leather
Premium, Aero
"There is no spoon"

Old 02-23-2004, 02:53 PM

I think it may have something to do with the composition of the freeways in the differing areas of the US. I live in Long Beach, So Cal. so most of the freeways are in decent shape. I also get to drive Shoreline drive every morning and evening, which is very smooth, for a reason. For those of you that don't know Shoreline Drive is the main for of the Track used for the Long Beach Grand Prix. It's so cool right now cuz they are setting it up for the race in April and I get to "make beleive" what it feels like to hit those bank turns in one of the those "engines on wheels". Anyway I think I can get a few thousand more miles on these Pilots before they are ready to change out. Anyone got any sugeestions for comparable rubber to the pilots but maybe at a better price? Peace.

-Jason
Laser Red '03 6MT

Old 02-23-2004, 06:40 PM

I think ReDRoK8 is right for what I see here in Florida. Since there not any real rocks here they use ground up coral rock for the asphalt. The coral is very sharp and causes tires to wear very quickly. Does anyone have mileage numbers for the 17" tires?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ripping thru Tires