G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G Coupe or 350z roadster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2004 | 03:21 PM
|
Re: G Coupe or 350z roadster

I've driven both and can attest to your comments about both. Right now, single, no kids, no need for the back seats. Also i'm starting to find the styling lines of the coupe a little bland after a year which is why i'm considering roadster.

Another key is that i want to put some wheels on the car. Wheels on the coupe look good but not great, especially in comparison to stock 18s. On other hand, i've seen alot of hot z with nice wheels.

Old 02-24-2004 | 07:49 PM

I live in S Florida and faced the same dilemma.I really wanted a convertible, and went to the Nissan dealer to check it out. If he had a 6 sp, touring in Diamond Graphite, I would have bought it on the spot. I'm kind of glad I didn't as I love the G35. The interior is much nicer, and it does have a smoother ride. The back seat and usable trunk are definite plusses. If all you want is a really sweet convertible that you don't want to take on any trips requiring more than a toilet bag and a change of underwear, go for the Z. Otherwise, go for the G.

Old 02-24-2004 | 10:22 PM

I am always amazed by how on even the nicest days (and we have plenty of those in Southern California), most convertible/roadster drivers do not drop the tops on their cars. Either it is too sunny, too windy, too many fumes on a clogged freeway, a wife or S.O. who doesn't want to have her hair mussed, or some other reason.
Look at those folks, and learn. You will never have the top down as much as you imagine, at least after the first two weeks. Because the Z does not come with a sunroof, you have no way to enjoy the best days unless you open the roadster.
My point: Get the g35, enjoy the roadster feel with windows down and roof open, or just keep the roof open all the time, and enjoy the open feeling even with the windows up.
I would never buy a car without a sunroof.

FRED

03 Coupe; 5AT; Diamond Graphite/Graphite;
Premium & Performance Packs, with Chrome OEM Wheels;
Partly Debadged; Aluminum Pedals; Z-Tube K & N Filter;
Fujitsubo Exhaust on Order

Old 02-25-2004 | 01:42 AM

Fredz has a good point. Do you really wanna breathe the 405 freeway in as you wait in traffic?

Black / Black 2004 GcoupeMT. Premium. Splash Guardz.

Old 02-25-2004 | 11:57 AM
|

I wish I could have both but can only have one. In 1-2 yrs, i'm thinking of either the upcoming M45 or comparable 4 door luxury sedan so that factors into the equation as well. Presently no kids so just have to decide between the roadster or coupe.
In addition to all the input which i appreciate.
What i've come up with is this and i would be interested in any other advice:

Coupe
pros: classy look, more room/luxury, softer ride, better looking front end (in my opinion), better service.

cons: questionable mod options ( not performance) enhancements, seems like the more you add, not much gain in looks, not designed to be modified in my opinion.

roadster

pros: the obvious versatility to drop the top, pure sports and sportier gauges, more eye catching in my opinion especially some of the modified ones, check out the la auto show project roadster.

cons: less room, durability of the soft top, rougher ride,
tire feathering issues, worse service

Ultimately what it comes down to is what i will love more in 2-3 yrs. What would you guys do if no need for the back seats now plus plans to buy a 4 door sedan in 1-2 yrs? Also for those of you who have had 2 seaters for extended period, does it get uncomfortable down the line? I'm 31 right now so it doesn't really bother me, don't know if i can say the same for passenger.

Old 02-25-2004 | 01:45 PM

Just some quick points from a 5 year Miata owner:

Pros:
- When the weather is nice (or even borderline), there is nothing better than cruising around with the top down, especially on warm nights.

- You are never designated driver for anything since you can only fit you +1

- Easy to find parking due to small size when needed

- Great sports car feel, being close to the road and 'tucked in' to a smaller car.

- stereo souds great in such an small cockpit

Cons:
- Crappy in winter

- Soft top is just one more thing to leak/get vandalized/ have to replace, etc

- sometimes you really wish you had the extra cargo room

- Some times you really wish you could be the driver, but can't

- Can get confining after a couple years

- bigger friends won't really fit in it.

- You will feel the road more, which is great for Sat afternoon cruising, but sucks when you are dong 65 on a bumpy highway while passing an 18 wheeler, in the rain

- I'm 6'2", so wrapping my knees around the steering wheel for 5 years has not been too great

All in all, I LOVED having my Miata, and although I know I will miss the rag top on the first nice day, I'm really looking forward to stepping up to a G

Old 02-25-2004 | 02:36 PM

eMayhem said: "-Can get confining after a couple years" about his miata. I thought the z-roadster would be my next car and I didn't care about only having two seats but when I sat in the roadster I felt totally confined after only 5 minutes. I'm 5'11...not too tall but I do like to recline my seat and you cannot do that with the roadster unless you put the seat forward but then you loose leg room.
I would say as a sunlover who's had t-tops and convertable cars for the past 8+ years a sunroof is great for different reasons. You don't feel "outside" which is bad on those perfect days but great on days that would normally be too hot or too cold to put a convertable top down....the wind deflector keeps the unpleasant air out but still lets the sun in. I live in the currently cold norheast and I have it open every sunny day!

Old 02-25-2004 | 04:24 PM

I also had a Miata and loved the top down in the Spring and Fall but summers were too hot .I enjoyed my Miata more after I bought a hardtop for it.

2003.5 G35
2003 350Z
2003 Murano SL