G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Twin Turbo Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 03:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Twin Turbo Coupe

Has anyone seen or heard of a G35 Twin Turbo Coupe?
From what I have heard (word of mouth) Infiniti will be releasing one in the next two years. I assume that it will closely relate to a JDM Skyline (R34 - R35 GTR's) if produced.

Old 02-27-2004, 03:36 PM
Re: Twin Turbo Coupe

2007 nissan will release the GTR R35 skylines under the infiniti division here in the US. Now word on the engine yet but rumors vary from a 3.3 liter V6 TT to a V8. I perdict a destroked version of our engine to a 3.3 liters with electronicly spooling turbos.

<a href="mailto:Carlos3186@hotmail....otmail.com</a>

Old 02-27-2004, 03:42 PM
Premier Dough Slapper
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

"electronically spooling turbos" ?

Please elaborate. . .

"See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a *****, but only enough blood to run one at a time."

Old 02-27-2004, 03:46 PM
G SQUAD

Wow that sounds incredible...What is it?

Old 02-27-2004, 04:08 PM

hmm I also heard something about some sort of "electric turbos"......sounds interesting..

Ivory Pearl Coupe/5AT/Aeros/Premium/Nav/Type-N Front Bumper/Z-Tube/V1

Old 02-27-2004, 05:38 PM

electronicly spooling turbos are basicaly a turbo with no lag. they are like a super charger in the scence that they dont lag but they also dont have the draw back of a supercharger such as taking power from the engine, you are also able to change the boost on the fly like normal turbos. Nissan tried to use them on the rece circut but they had problems with them.... but word on the street is that they are fixed. these are all rumors though and specuations so who knows how it will end up. but basicaly electirc turbos have all the stenghts of a turbo chager but none of there weaknesses

Old 02-27-2004, 07:54 PM

I hard pretty similar things. Either the rumor is widespread, or something's true about it.

Black / Black 2004 GcoupeMT. Premium. Splash Guardz.

Old 02-27-2004, 10:28 PM
Premier Dough Slapper

OK wait, a Turbo "spools" off of the exhaust gas that is expelled from the engine. A supercharger is driven off the engine itself, the only real solid difference between the two. What you're telling me is that they've developed an electronic turbo that uses electricty to spool up? Those units have been out for a while, but do not produce very much boost. The ones that I have seen produce at the max like 1 maybe 2 psi. Nothing to give you any major power gains.

You cant "change the boost" of turbo (its boost ability its built into its design unlike with a supercharger that you can swap pullies with), but what you can do is adjust its levels through whats called a waste gate, which can be electronically controled. The Turbo itself has NO electrical components, that's why I'm a little weirded out by when you mention elelctronically spooling turbos.

These days, the development of high foil internal impeller designs in turbos have also pretty much eliminated that long time hated turbo-lag. They're pretty very much so on the line with many superchargers today.

I would love to read more abou these rumors and whatnot and see exactly what they're talking about, because IMO it just wouldnt make any sense to try and design an electronic turbo thats gonna draw huge amounts of current, require special motors (for the HIGH heat enviroment), special charging system and or special / extra batteries, and take up more space, when conventional (free power) Turbo exists that can generate HUGE amounts of boost 10-15-20-30+ PSI.

The ONLY thing that could possibly make "some" sens to me is that may be spooling up the turbos a little bit, but even with that, you still need all this special (extra) equipment which only adds to the thought - why? They'll never be able to match anything you'll get within a fraction of a second of mashing the gas. I

I'm gonna have to do a little research on this topic....

"See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a *****, but only enough blood to run one at a time."

Old 02-27-2004, 10:36 PM

yeah i dont really know much about these electric turbos but my understanding is that nissan figured away to get them to work and had implimented them in there racing teams but they were not releable or somthing like that so they stop using them and now they fixed the relibilty part... From my understanding they are constently spooling if u will turring low RPMs and then when the RPMs reach a higher leval they run off the exhaust gas...... but i really dont know this what i have heard from multiply sources.

Old 02-28-2004, 05:08 AM
Premier Dough Slapper

Hey Carlos....
Check this out.....

Garrett has also developed an electrically assisted turbocharger that doesn't rely solely on exhaust gas flow energy. At low engine speeds, an electronically controlled electric motor responds to engine load and boosts the turbo up to high-pressure speeds. At high engine speeds that produce enough exhaust flow to spin the turbo's turbine, the overrunning motor can be used as a supplementary generator for the vehicle's electrical system.

Something I pulled off the net. Interesting stuff! That makes a little more sense, but it's still way out there in terms of everyday use.

Old 02-28-2004, 10:26 PM

[an electrically assisted turbocharger that doesn't rely solely on exhaust gas flow energy. At low engine speeds, an electronically controlled electric motor responds to engine load and boosts the turbo up to high-pressure speeds.]

From the stuff I read about these electric motor asstisted turbos. That is pretty much exactly what they do as well. I had actually read something about this on one of the Subaru forums. While testing of the newer WRX was being done, one of the guys saw a NISSAN Stagea (wagon version of the Skyline) pull over next to their testing area. When the guy saw that the Subaru guys where lookin over at him he took off, and if I remember correctly they said the car took off like it had a supercharger instead of turbos. And I do remember someone mentioning these electronically assisted turbos then. I could be a little off, this was a while ago like a year and a half or so.

<font color=blue>2003 Caribbean Blue Coupe
6MT Prem, Aero, Nav.</font color=blue>[img]/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/img]