G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Having second thoughts on spoiler ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 05:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having second thoughts on spoiler ...

I got a DG coupe used from a dealer with the condition that they would add a spoiler. But, as I wait to go in and get it done, I'm starting to have second thoughts. I like the side view of the coupe with the spoiler but am starting to think it looks better from the rear without. Regardless, I find it hard to reject getting it done for free by the dealer. What do you guys think?

Old 02-29-2004, 08:46 AM
Re: Having second thoughts on spoiler ...

I agree with you. The rear spoiler looks good from certain angles, but I decided I preferred the overall look without one. I think the only one I would buy is the Impul Spoiler. More subtle and looks great.

2004 Coupe/DG/Graph/5AT/Premium/CB

Old 02-29-2004, 01:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the look of the stock spoiler from most angles. I would definitely get it again.

One thing to keep in mind is that you will have 4 brake lights instead of 3. You will have the 2 normal ones, one in the back window, and one in the spoiler.

Dave

2004.5 DG/G 5AT Coupe with all options
Sidemarker turnsignal mod
GroundingGear™
2003 Yamaha YZF600R

Old 02-29-2004, 01:27 PM

If your looking for opinions here, I personally don't think the spoiler brings anything to the table as far as looks go to the coupe. IMO, the lines of the coupe are so nice that anything, be it splash guards, front spoiler or rear don't add, but detract from its looks.

Lou

Old 02-29-2004, 02:02 PM

I still go back and forth on this, almost 9 months after taking delivery of my coupe last June. Initially I really didn't want the spoiler, but all the 6MTs I could find were being shipped with them. I could have ordered a non-spoiler car, but I wouldn't have gotten it until the fall, and I wanted to enjoy it during the summer. Then the spoiler really began to grow on me, and I found the exact car I wanted otherwise for June delivery (this was in early May), so I put a depopsit on it and ultimately bought the car. At this point, I really like the look of the spoiler, but I like it without it too. I probably lean about about 55%-45% in favor of it (sounds silly to put it that way, I know), so I'm happy, but every once in a while I'll find myself wondering if I'd like it without the spoiler better. I did get to (REALLY) enjoy the car last summer though, and that counted for a lot...

Old 02-29-2004, 02:16 PM

Don't get the spoiler, the car looks much cleaner without it.

04 Black G35C 6MT | Premium | Navigation | Grounding Kit | AEM Cold Air Intake

Old 02-29-2004, 02:31 PM

Since the spoiler is free, get it and take it home with you (but don't have them install it right away). Tell them you will bring it back for the install later. In the meantime you can think about it, and either a) have it installed or b) sell it on eBay or somewhere like here.

Old 02-29-2004, 02:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

got a DG coupe used from a dealer with the condition that they would add a spoiler

<hr></blockquote>
the dealers are notorious for adding aftermarket spoilers on....which are very prone to leaks and made differently than the Infiniti ones. When they add an aftermarket one on, they are technically voiding your warranty for the trunk, spoiler and related components. You may not be able to get warranty work done if you have problems later.

If they add it, make sure it is the OEM Infiniti spoiler and that they also put on the underbody diffusers that come with the factory spoiler. That way there will be no warranty issues with your car. Good luck.

03 6MT coupe, red/willow, premium, aero, splash guards, alum pedals, clear corners, 15% tint

Old 02-29-2004, 02:55 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Two quick things:

A) IMO, from a dead-straight angle on the back, the coupe just looks like a big'ol ghetto booty, and the spoiler "breaks it up" a bit. The coupe is a damn sharp car, but that's the one angle on it that makes me cringe a bit. Profile view's fine with it. Now, usually I'd say adding a spoiler to GS or CB makes it look "toyish", but I think you'd be safe with your color. The spoiler seems to put it in the sports-luxury class instead of just sporty class. But then again, that's just my opinion... heck, I drive a sedan, what do I know about aesthetics?

B) Dealer-installed spoilers tend to be prone to mis-installs and leaks. I'd check out the install job VERY carefully, and if you're not 100% satisfied when you pick it up, tell them to do it again, or to trade your trunk with a pre-spoilered car. There's no sense in them accepting the car in anything less than perfect condition. Good luck and keep us up to date,

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint

Old 02-29-2004, 03:27 PM

The dealer in Orlando tried to sell me a car w/o the spoiler and told me that they'd put on an aftermarket one for the same price. I looked at a customers car w/ an aftermarket spoiler and then looked at the OEM spoiler, and the OEM one is made much better. After I told the dealer that the only way I'd buy a car w/o the spoiler is if the purchased an OEM one and installed it for me. They said that the OEM ones are twice the price as the aftermarket ones and recommended I wait for the color I wanted w/ an OEM spoiler. After reading about voiding warranty and leaking problems, I decided to wait for the car w/ the options I wanted.

You have a couple of options:
1. Get the spoiler and wait to have it installed (as mentioned before). You can always sell it on E-bay.
2. Trade the cash value for the spoiler for other items or services (like oil changes, etc...)

If you do get the spoiler installed I'd recommend that you consider getting the splash guards. This compliments the car with the addition of the spoiler (at least I think so).

2004 Infiniti G35C-6MT
LR/Willow/Premium/Aero/Splash/BSM
30% Lumar Tint, Invinca Shield (C-Bra),
Z-Tube & JWT Pop Charger

Old 02-29-2004, 04:29 PM

i say get the spoiler.... without it, the *** end of the car just looks robust. i agree, the g does have beautiful lines. im sure we all agree about that. but if ur buying the whole aero package.. u mines well get it. my g didnt come with one. but i had them install it. One of the best things i have ever done to my g35

Old 02-29-2004, 05:00 PM

I'd have to agree that I'd have second thoughts about having the dealer install my spoiler. I got it factory installed, which means no "4th" brake light, and a clean job. Honestly, I think the rear of the car looks too plain without it (not to mention BIG!). I wonder if you can get the dealer to replace the rear deck and get rid of that brake light...

'04 6MT, Laser Red/Graphite, Prem, Navi, 4-Piece Aero, BSM

Old 02-29-2004, 05:34 PM

I don't think the forth brake light is that much of an issue. Just have the dealer disconnect the light on the window after adding the spoiler, then you'll only have 3 lights on when you brake. If you have tint on your back window, even better.

Old 02-29-2004, 06:31 PM

When I made my G35 Coupe purchase I too battled back and forth on whether I wanted the spoiler or not. Now, 4000 miles into my G35 experience I cannot imagine my car without it.

This is clearly an opinion issue. If you like it, get it. If you don't, don't. But as long as you are asking me, I say get it.

afsarzad
'03 G35 Coupe Caribbean Blue/Blk
Sport / Areo / Nav etc...
Chrome GF-1 20s / 35% Tint / Clear Corners

Old 02-29-2004, 06:50 PM

They also are adding splash guards as part of the deal.

I don't know if they would exchange the price with other services. I probably won't get oil changes done there because the dealer is an hour and a half round trip. I'll probably still have them do it. I always thought it needed a spoiler before I got the car. It's since I've had the car, over the past two and a half weeks, that I've begun to like the look without. I still think from the side view it looks like it is missing something without a spoiler. I'll make sure it's the OEM Infiniti spoiler with rear diffusers.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Having second thoughts on spoiler ...