G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07-14/)
-   -   which S/C is the best??? (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/21925-s-c-best.html)

XIMER 04-11-2004 05:58 PM

which S/C is the best???

sorry i was going to post on the Tech/Mods forum.......but there are more posts on this.........so i thought i would get a quicker response.

1) Which S/C adds the most hp Vortech, Stillen, etc....?

2) How about the Greddy Twin Turbo?

3) How much does it usually cost for installation?

4) Lastly....How can you find a shop that would do a good job installing.....i dont want to take it to some cheap mechanic.....

thanks

Sloneek 04-12-2004 01:27 AM

Re: which S/C is the best???

yah someone answer this question i want to know and still cant decide lol, i want my car to be a sleeper, with a lot of hp and i dont want to install a intercooler. Is the procharger the one without one? or am i wrong

Quick Robin... TO THE BATMOBILE.

Loren04Coupe 04-12-2004 06:13 PM

I am only going to answer the thread question, hands down it is Vortech. Vortech runs more boost, will make more power and does so safer. An ATI with a Borla cat-back as the only mods bolt-on did 355 rwhp on a sedan. Coupes aren't even getting close to that with and ATI and an exhaust. Fuel tungin is far easier and more consistant with the Vortech System. I have never seen an ATI with a perfect fuel curve across the powerband. The Vortech also has the advantage of an ignition retard, where as with the ATI if you get bad gas you can kiss your engine goodbye (a few have already).

There is a major problem with the poor design of the ATI Procharger System. I got to meet an ATI Engieer and they had to really rig the system to work. The braket for the Procharger places the compressor very far forward in the engine compartment (Vortech's braket is further back and hence more front space for the filter). This isn't a problem on the Z where they pipe forward, but it is a major problem on the G. So the run the MAF blow through. They also don't have enough room to put an air filter in front of the compressor. Instead, they just put a grill to block large particles(everything else goes through it). The air filter is after the compressor in-line. They have to limit the boost more because they blow through the filter (this is the only SC kit this has ever been done on). You are also in great potential rick of damage to the compressor from outside comtamination. Last, blowing through the filter increases back pressure and heat to the intake charge, further reducing power. Bottom line is that the ATI was just a bad design. If they would redisn the braket and fix the filter problem then it would probably work pretty good.

I didn't mention Stealin' (Stillen) becasue they aren't really a competitor. Unless you are short shifting at 4500 rpms (yah, like anyone would have a race like that), the Stillen has no chance of keep with the others. It just doesn't make that much power. It makes decent low end, but low high-end power. This combined with having to go with a gay looking hi-rise hood or a tacky hood scoope puts it completely out of the picture.

04' G35 Coupe 6-sp
Diamond Graphite/Willow w/Premium

EverythingG35 04-12-2004 07:40 PM

Yeah, it depends where you want the power. The Stillen makes the best low end power, the ATI and Vortech make more top end power, but that's due to their designs. They're all very different and everyone's going to have their own opinions (and many with facts) on which one is the best.

I only have persnoal experience with the Stillen unit so far and it seems to be a bit more conservative, but also very safe. They have the optional intercooler and a larger pulley out now as well, to help bring top end power levels up close to the other S/C's on the market.

Tuning is probably the biggest thing right now with forced induction on these cars....

As always, YMMV.

Justin @
EverythingG35.com

Catatafish 04-12-2004 08:26 PM

Doesn't the Stillen come with a 3 year warranty on engine and SC when installed at the dealer? Or is that just on a brand new Z car?

Profile4 04-12-2004 11:19 PM

those are some very good points. I was thinking ATI all the way, but it seems like the Vortech camp is coming up with very good points...anyone from the ATI camp care to counter these points? I don't mean to start a war, i just want to know everyone's opinion who has first hand experience with the kits, seeing the pro's and con's of each. Thats the point of this board eh? To find out info from people who have gone down the road you are looking at so that we can learn from their experiences whether they are good or bad. I have read somewhere that the ignition retard on the Vortech is not a fix for detonation, but rather a cover up. I forgot exactly what the point was, but if anyone remembers, can they refresh our memories? One of my stronger points for the ATI is that it is a self contained unit, and you do not have to tap the oil pan. I had many terrible oil leak problems with my previous car, which was turbo, but its the same concept of a tapped oil pan. also, they say that a self contained unit runs more efficiently and cooler because it doesnt have the engine's oil running thru it. Some coupes with the ATI have been putting out good numbers in the 360 hp range, but it seems like Vortech is putting out more torque. I think torque is as equally a big factor as HP on these cars since they are not paper weights. I do not like the fact that the ATI sits crammed behind the AC lines and radiator, but since i have access to custom fiberglass fabrication, i'm hoping that if i do go ATI i can cut and fit a scoop similar to the ATI 350Z. does anyone have a good pic of the front end of the G with the ATI? i need to try and estimate the dimensions and see if a custom piece is a possibility. Loren, do u have the vortech in your car? anyways, i'm going to stop rambling because i'll go on forever about this, lol!

04 DG/G/6MT/Premium/Nav/Clear Bra
Bone Stock...to be continued...
"You kill mah brodah, now I kill you!" - some old kung-fu flick