G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Bodyshop paints.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 07:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bodyshop paints.

I took my newly damaged car over to some bodyshops for some quotes and learned a few things in the process.

Both places said that there was "no such thing as OEM paint"... They did however give their techniques to repair the dent and paint.

One place said that they were going to transfer the paint from the fender to the door (where the accident occurred), so that the chip marks would be covered by what seems to be the closest match to OEM.... Never heard of that before. My only worry was that the fender would then sacrifice some shine in order to do that. The process would take 2-3 days and costs $100 more from this other bodyshop.

Bodyshop 2 said they were going to paint over it using DuPont paint. And would only take a day. (cheaper too)

Anyone have any experience with either techniques? Or is there any other technique thats better...? Any tips would be helpful.

Last edited by rolltide; 12-05-2008 at 07:18 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:14 AM
how much just curious?.......

Old 12-05-2008, 07:18 AM
~$700 for the guys with DuPont, ~$800 for the other dudes... car had a dent too, so I'm guessing thats where the rapeage comes from.

Last edited by rolltide; 12-05-2008 at 07:22 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:39 AM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
When it comes to body shops/work, don't cut any corners....go with a good reputable shop...Check out their work before commiting. You will be happier in the long run.

As far as OEM Paint. I don't think you will find body shops using it here. You may be able to order the paint from the dealer and supply it to the body shop if you feel you need to. But, for the most part, the aftermarket paint manufacturers paint will do nicely.

I had my Front bumper repainted a few years back, and the aftermarket paint held up as well or maybe somewhat better than the OEM finish.
Good luck with your decision either way.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:27 AM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by GR8TG35
When it comes to body shops/work, don't cut any corners....go with a good reputable shop...Check out their work before commiting. You will be happier in the long run.
That's very good advice, if you cut corners with bodywork/paint every time
you walk up to your car that's all you'll see....poor quality! A good bodyshop
will match your paint and the quality will be better than OEM. The paint on
my body kit is far superior to the orginal paint....Good Luck!
Gary

Old 12-05-2008, 10:49 AM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
What you described is called blending a panel. The repaired panel is painted and the basecoat is faded on to the adjacent panels. After that, both panels are sprayed with clear. This technique minimizes any variation in color from your factory paint and the repair. It's usually done with metallics and hard to match colors. If the other shop is a quality shop, they should also be doing it. Just ask them if they are "blending the panels".

The best way to make sure you will be happy with any shop is to ask to see some of their current finished work. Ask for a tour of their shop, look to see if they have up to date equipment...especially their booth.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:34 PM
first of all PPG is the name of the paint that should be used anything else is considered a lower grade and standard so yes there is basically an oem paint, i'm getting my car repainted right now for 3000, going from LR to Lambo White 700 sounds a little high

Old 12-05-2008, 04:49 PM
^you have no idea what you are talking about. ppg is a decent brand of paint at best. basf glasurit, spies hecker, house of kolor, are all better and dupont is comparable. also, 3 grand for an all over is a cheap job. a quality all over, spraying the engine bay, door and trunk jams should start at $7000. good luck with what you're getting though. $700-$800 is right on the mark for a quality panel paint and repair.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts
very true..inknartg35 you dont know what your talking about

Old 12-05-2008, 05:13 PM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by inknartg35
first of all PPG is the name of the paint that should be used anything else is considered a lower grade and standard so yes there is basically an oem paint, i'm getting my car repainted right now for 3000, going from LR to Lambo White 700 sounds a little high

Haha not quite Sikkens is german paint and is prob the most expensive and best in the world. Glasurit which is owned by BASF is the high end of the paint system I use. PPG and Dupont both have many lines some are good and some are garbage.

There is no such thing as factory paint. Im factory certified in 3 car lines and ive never seen a can of toyota, nissan, etc paint. All paint lines follow steps that the factory wants done, if they comply the Car line will deem if its an approved to refinish.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:25 PM
^hahaha, i like your sig. when i was 17, i had a year and a half old mustang 5.0 that had a factory sealcoat black door and primered bumpers for two months before i saved up enough money to get a custom job done.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:51 PM
sorry sorry my bad i just regurgitate what i hear, i've heard ppg is the standard, and no my paint job isn't cheap, i just know the owner, my car is completely stripped right now to get everything perfect, windows taken out, and even the engine bay is being painted with all of my dents and dings taken out, sorry for my lack of knowledge, whats the best white? i was gonna do one of the lambo whites but i still have until tonight to decide?

Old 12-05-2008, 06:04 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by GR8TG35
As far as OEM Paint. I don't think you will find body shops using it here. You may be able to order the paint from the dealer and supply it to the body shop if you feel you need to. But, for the most part, the aftermarket paint manufacturers paint will do nicely.
First off, let's clear this up. There is no such thing as "OEM" paint. PPG, Dupont, etc... all make the paints the factories use. Which company makes the paint depends on the location of the factory where the car is put together. And since not all cars of the same make are assembled in the same factory, other models from the same make might use a different make of paint. If you buy factory KH3 (obsidian black) paint from the stealership, you're buying the same exact same KH3 you would get anywhere else (as long as you're not getting cheap on us).

Either way, I'll tell you guys that a can of paint costs about $50 at most (unless you're buying custom colors), which is usually good for at least two coats for an entire car. But a good clearcoat can be very expensive. Do not cheap out on the clearcoat!

I think only a few cars (Ferrari, Lambo, etc...) have their own paints, and that's because they will not give the recipes out. If you damaged your Ferrari, you can either try to color match or buy the paint directly from them.

Last edited by dofu; 12-05-2008 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:18 PM
I had my metallics silver done by a friend-damage was in the quater panel, blending bumper, door for $700.00. Now Blending needs to happend unless u have a obsidian blk---What you REALLY need to make sure is that they use the vin number of the car because many shops use the code in the door and actually that code in the door has 4 different shades that are very close but not the same

Old 12-05-2008, 06:29 PM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by naci24
I had my metallics silver done by a friend-damage was in the quater panel, blending bumper, door for $700.00. Now Blending needs to happend unless u have a obsidian blk---What you REALLY need to make sure is that they use the vin number of the car because many shops use the code in the door and actually that code in the door has 4 different shades that are very close but not the same
Thats Dupont with that VIN system. All paint lines need the Paint code then test panels are sprayed to ensure the color match. Dont forget a lot of cars have been repainted so its that color you need to match. There is no way to get something perfect its the blending that fools they eye.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bodyshop paints.