Modding the G: Input about realistic HP gains

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 12:07 PM
Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
SEARCH!! is your FRIEND

Old 12-05-2008, 12:08 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
A Nismo or 350GTR sticker will give you more hp gains then your CAI and Exhaust combined.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a bunch of bolt ons arent going to do much for ya buddy.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:10 PM
Received 535 Likes on 296 Posts
lol OP is gaining a lot of friends, and FAST lol

Old 12-05-2008, 12:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LittleItalyG
like Greengoblen said 15-20 hp gain with those mods. if you don't like those numbers enlighten us with your expertise....noob
I'm not claiming to have ANY experience. The extent of my experience is owning, driving, and racing my G (left AND right turns )for the better part of a year with enough seat time to know that I'd like more linear power through the power curve. I have started to modify some of the parts, and was looking for people who have actual facts and numbers to support the information that I was given.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by ndndiablo88
a bunch of bolt ons arent going to do much for ya buddy.
I didn't know an FIC was a "bolt on" part. That's the part that I'm most interested in knowing how it will affect performance.

Could you tell me how the FIC will affect the performance?

Old 12-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 458 Likes on 237 Posts
fuel management wont help if you cant somehow cram more air into the engine. Your best bet would be to do all your bolt ons and get a good tune (Uprev Osiris)

Old 12-05-2008, 03:38 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
I will be glad to help you. I did not mean that I did not know what Aem fic did. I should have bette worded my response. I have yet to see anyone post any dyno sheets in here regarding it.

The most popular tuning devices to get the most out of your n/a mods are the Uprev osiris, and utec. I did the n/a route and with every bolt on know to the g35 community I squeezed 287 rwhp out of the Vq35de. The only thing that would have netted me anymore gains would have been some cam's or stroker kit.... nothing that was with in reason.

I have sense moved into the FI world where I have done more research and have got a very strong daily driven 409 rwhp.

My advise to you would be to set a goal with power / budget. Then opt for the best route that suits you.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by GreenGoblin
I will be glad to help you. I did not mean that I did not know what Aem fic did. I should have bette worded my response. I have yet to see anyone post any dyno sheets in here regarding it.

The most popular tuning devices to get the most out of your n/a mods are the Uprev osiris, and utec. I did the n/a route and with every bolt on know to the g35 community I squeezed 287 rwhp out of the Vq35de. The only thing that would have netted me anymore gains would have been some cam's or stroker kit.... nothing that was with in reason.

I have sense moved into the FI world where I have done more research and have got a very strong daily driven 409 rwhp.

My advise to you would be to set a goal with power / budget. Then opt for the best route that suits you.
Thanks for this piece. My long term goals with this car is to make it a track car. For now, she is my daily, and track-day fun ride. Right now, I am able to compete with any street car on the main track at Firebird, here in Phx. Ford GT40, Ferrari F430, the Z06, STi, to name a few. Mustangs and other American V8's are an after thought. The G eats them alive on the back of the track.

***If there are any doubters, there's a track day on Dec. 20 at Firebird. You're welcome to come along, and ride w me. Bring a helmet.***

On the straight, they absolutely walk away from me. I know that w/o going FI, it'll remain that way. As a daily driver, if I can improve the power curve, and generate a substantial amount of power, I can at least keep it close(r?) in the straight, and have a shot at overtaking those cars on the backside of the track. So what is substantial? That's where I'm having the conflict in opinion.

I'm cautious to do FI because my best advantage is the handling of the car, and I don't want to compromise that. There is a 350Z that has a VORTEC SC on it that is crazy fast, and has to run on slicks. Not sure what he's putting out, but I'll ask. I'm going to do a dyno run on the car after the mods go on. They were supposed to go on today, but the exhaust didn't ship in time.

Here's the 350.

And because this is my post: I'm going to treat you all to eye candy. Brand new w/ 79 miles on the ODO. Hasn't been on the track yet, but might on the 20th.

Last edited by Canassis; 12-08-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:27 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
If you plan on using you car at the track (autocross, time trials, etc...) This is the steps I would take in order

1. good tires / rims dedicated to the track by far the best mod in any event like this

2. adjustable sway bars. The car tends to understeer from my experience with the factory sways

3. Adjustable coilovers. Once you have these you will have infinite adjustability out of your suspension

4. More power (The spacer, jwt popcharger z tube combo, the greddy tt exhaust, and tune

Old 12-08-2008, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by GreenGoblin
If you plan on using you car at the track (autocross, time trials, etc...) This is the steps I would take in order

1. good tires / rims dedicated to the track by far the best mod in any event like this

2. adjustable sway bars. The car tends to understeer from my experience with the factory sways

3. Adjustable coilovers. Once you have these you will have infinite adjustability out of your suspension

4. More power (The spacer, jwt popcharger z tube combo, the greddy tt exhaust, and tune
The car is stock as it sits now. I had very little to no understeer running on new rubber. Oversteer became a minor issue as the tires got hot and started to go away. Body roll was slightly noticeable.

I will say that I had no idea about this car's capabilities until I took it out to the track.

With this additional suspension equipment will the car be able to manage the FI through the corners?

Old 12-08-2008, 01:41 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by Canassis
Here's the line-up:

AEM Fuel Ignition Controller
Fujita CAI
Greddy Evo2 Full Exhaust
Skunk2 Plenum Spacer

I'm curious to know what the HP gains will be with all of that stuff. Some numbers have been thrown around, but I'm interested to know what people who are really familiar w realistic gains think.

Thanks.
AEM FIC: none, it will be within the resolution of the dyno 1-2 hp max
Fujita CAI: -3 to +3 depends on the tune
Greddy: up to 10
Skunk: up to 8

The thing is, just ADDING these things can even make your HP go DOWN. Put your mods on and then get the ECU reflashed to match what you have done. That will give you the most gains.

The fact remains that getting more Normally Aspirated HP out of the VQ35 is like "pullin' teeth". I costs lots of money and it hurts.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:43 PM
^ We're going to reset the ECU and tune it after the mods are installed. Definitely on the "to do" list.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:54 PM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Your going to track a GT-R that isn't even broken in yet? And your stock G can beat a Ford GT and Ferrai on the track? Just wondering, haven't been at the track ever myself, but I thought that you would at least need a modded G or GT-R to beat them.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by Darkstar752
Your going to track a GT-R that isn't even broken in yet? And your stock G can beat a Ford GT and Ferrai on the track? Just wondering, haven't been at the track ever myself, but I thought that you would at least need a modded G or GT-R to beat them.
Re-read what he posted, he said on the straightaway he gets hosed. That tells me that he is running against inexperienced drivers in the other cars. A good driver in a fair car can whip a poor (newb) driver in a great car anytime.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Modding the G: Input about realistic HP gains