G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

New owner - need some suggestions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 11:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New owner - need some suggestions

So I posted a thread earlier today asking for some help identifying my rims and I got a lot of feedback that they were ugly and cheap but it wasn't really what I would call constructive critisim, just blatent honesty. I just got the car and I absolutly love it, and I agree that the rims need to go. I'd like to get some suggestions on mods that I can do that will keep the car classy and clean - I've seen some georgous cars on this site and I want mine to be more like that. Any suggestions are welcome, but please post pics and prices with your comments - and I KNOW THE RIMS ARE UGLY/CHEAP LOOKING - but I'm not sure what to put in their place.

Here is what I'm thinking - All black rims, Black grille, tint on windows. But I can be swayed.

Thanks for your help!

Attached Thumbnails New owner - need some suggestions-picture1.jpg   New owner - need some suggestions-picture4.jpg   New owner - need some suggestions-picture2.jpg   New owner - need some suggestions-picture3.jpg   New owner - need some suggestions-picture5.jpg  

Old 12-30-2008, 11:34 PM
have seen worse 22" lols

but yea, I would say do A LOT of RESEARCH...depends on your budget. Do you want performance or looks? Usually a nice set of wheels and a drop really make the G stand out, again depends on what you want to do?

IMHO the first thing I would do is tint, whatever you choose, be it 5% or 35%, PLEASE make sure it's the same all around. Even tint just looks better, .02

Old 12-30-2008, 11:44 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
One of the vendors on here has some unique white rims for sale - strap those babies on asap.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:45 PM
At this point I'm just going for looks, maybe in the future I'll add some performance but I don't see that happening for a while. What is a drop? Lowering it?
I can probably spend a couple of grand - I'd like to get the biggest bang for my buck and do what will make the most difference first.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:12 AM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Well how about you tell us what style of rim you like. Like one with say 12 thin spokes, or like a 5 spoke? What are you looking for?

And yes, drop does mean lower your car.

My favorite rims, powdercoated black :
https://g35driver.com/forums/picture...nti-drink.html

BTW, what I would do to the car personally:
Bluebat GTR tailight overlays,
paint grill black,
paint or overlay roof black
full debadge
rims
tint
intake for a sound you like
wheel spacers (depending on how sunken your new rims are)

and then the expensive part:
drop
rims.
If you can't afford good rims, just get some cheap stock ones and paint them black.

Last edited by Darkstar752; 12-31-2008 at 02:21 AM.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:32 AM
You have imo the best color of the g35.. wish i had it!!

You need 2 things asap!

1. Tint! Dark tint looks dead sexy on the IP
2. Spoiler.. Gotta get one!!

Now even though its getting kind of played out now, Black rims with chrome lip look awesome on the IP g35s. Tint the tail lights and you will have one fine g...

Old 12-31-2008, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by Darkstar752
Well how about you tell us what style of rim you like. Like one with say 12 thin spokes, or like a 5 spoke? What are you looking for?

And yes, drop does mean lower your car.

My favorite rims, powdercoated black :
https://g35driver.com/forums/picture...nti-drink.html

BTW, what I would do to the car personally:
Bluebat GTR tailight overlays,
paint grill black,
paint or overlay roof black
full debadge
rims
tint
intake for a sound you like
wheel spacers (depending on how sunken your new rims are)

and then the expensive part:
drop
rims.
If you can't afford good rims, just get some cheap stock ones and paint them black.

I like your suggestions - especially the tail lights, I think I would tint the front lights too. Those powdercoat rims are nice but I think I would prefer a simpler 5 spoke option. How difficult is a full debadge, are they glued on or will i need to fill/sand/paint holes left from the badges? Also what are wheel spacers? Finally - where does everyone get their stuff mostly? Are the links on this site good or are there other places that you prefer?

Thanks for your help, as you can tell I am brand new to this.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:12 AM
Ship the car to me, I'll handle it

Looking for a G anyway

Old 12-31-2008, 10:15 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
This is what I have, and I think they would look good an any color:

These are Privat "Gassen" wheels in 19" by 8" with a 30 offset. PERFECT fit.

However, with white there are two schools of thought. What has been posted and GOLD. I like gold rims on white cars. It just looks good to me.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:37 AM
Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts
OP, depend on your pocket. If you don't have a deep pocket, my sugestion is just replace those rims, springs, intake (better sound). After that, upgrade little by little on the road just to keep loving the car.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:13 PM
I think I've narrowe down the Rim choices - I found these two for around $1800 with tires (need a winter set in NJ). What is the concensus? Also, does anyone know a good place for Grilles?

Attached Thumbnails New owner - need some suggestions-rim-1-kobe.jpg   New owner - need some suggestions-rim-2-tenzo.jpg  
Old 12-31-2008, 05:31 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by torqperry
I think I've narrowe down the Rim choices - I found these two for around $1800 with tires (need a winter set in NJ). What is the concensus? Also, does anyone know a good place for Grilles?
tenzo wheels?! gonna get some **** for that on here. i prefer the styling of the second but i would stray from the cheaper wheel packages. and try to find somthing with our bolt pattern and not a universal bolt pattern(always looks cheap). keep an eye out for a nice set of used wheels. there are always guys on the east coast selling wheels. congrats on the purchase too man. what are of nj are you in?

Old 01-01-2009, 05:44 PM
I'm in Wayne, it is hard to tell what constitutes a good set of rims? What are some top brands and how would I know if they have a matching hole pattern? I'm thinking now that I should just get some of the OEM 19" Rays and maybe ha.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:06 PM
def paint or overlay the roof black, lower it, front lip, wheels, wheel spacers, paint the grill black, spoiler, if u look in your 3rd pic u will kno why we say spacers. see how they look sunken in? but its your car and it has to fit your taste. so your best bet is to do alot of research. look through the gallery and search. dont just rush into it and throw the first things on that u see. the cars that u saw that u said looked gorgeous didnt happen overnight. it takes time and these cars are very expensive to mod. research some, search some, look at pictures, research some more, search some more, check your bank account, research some more, look at some more pics, research, search search and search. after being on this site for a couple of months u will know what products to stay away from which ones are better and what looks good. it takes time. be patient and good luck with your car.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:09 PM
one thing i forgot to add was.. go on ebay in the parts and accessories and type in g35. look through some of the stuff they have on there. if u like something, come back here and type it in the search button and see what kind of opinions people have on the product and look at some pictures of it on someone elses car and take it from there. hope this helps

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New owner - need some suggestions