G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

More or less MPG in tiptronic?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 02:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More or less MPG in tiptronic?

so my g35 came up on it's first empty tank today (280 miles by me, 400 on the car since they drove from damn CT to NJ damn ray catena) i stop at a hess and since they transferred iraq back yesterday gas prices have been falling and i really wanted to wait a couple more days to fill up but i couldn't wait any longer.

anyhow, their plus was only $2.01 so i decided to go with that (by the way, which quality is best for our g's, the dealer never told me?) filled her up with 16.5 gallons so that equates to ~17 mpg....so what i'm wondering is does using tiptronic as supposed to just auto use more or less gas? this could be helpful if we're running low on gas and cant get to a station too quickly. i stayed in tiptronic cause the hess was just down the road a few more minutes and i just love tiptronic anyways, but does it really matter with mpg which mode we're in?

and lastly, does higher quality give more mpg or is it just better for the engine? sorry but i don't know much about this subject, any help would be great...thanks.

Jeff - Look for me in the black G
2004.5 G35 Coupe
5AT / Black on Black / Premium / Splash

Old 06-29-2004, 02:38 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: More or less MPG in tiptronic?

Congrats on the new black coupe bro. She's a beaut.
I run 91 octane in mine and it's good. Some run 94 and say it's better. It's up to you.
There's no advantage to higher than recommended octanes, but there are big disadvantages to using too low an octane. Very bad.
As far as mileage diffs between fully Auto and Tiptr.-- prolly doesn't make much difference so enjoy the Tiptronic, but best mileage would be realized in fully Auto mode because the computer will optimize the shifting for you for best efficiency.

Enjoy the ride bro
G.

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>
<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>
<font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 06-29-2004, 02:47 PM

First off, Tiptronic(r) is a registered trademark of Porsche/Audi, our Gs do not have a Tiptronic transmission available as an option. If you keep calling it Tiptronic some chicks will never respect you. lol

Our G35 coupes have what Infiniti calls - 5-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode.

The MPG specs can be found in your owners manual or on the www.infiniti.com website. But here they are anyway:

2003 EPA Fuel Economy Estimates (city/highway)

5-speed automatic 18/26 Actual mileage may vary. Use for comparison only.

6-speed manual 20/27 Actual mileage may vary. Use for comparison only.

Personally, I have gotten as high as 23 mpg(mostly highway under 80 mph) and as low as 15 mpg(flogging it around town).

Good luck with your new baby.

JD
2003.5 Coupe, Blk/Blk <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by jdking on 06/29/04 11:49 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 06-29-2004, 03:19 PM

well i just call it tiptronic cause its much shorter haha. i think my brothers bmw is called steptronic so who knows..

thanks for the info though guys...i just hate being in jersey with the dirty hands of the attendants hitting my tank cover trying to get it open, i cant wait til i go back to school in PA where i can do it gently myself

Jeff - Look for me in the black G
2004.5 G35 Coupe
5AT / Black on Black / Premium / Splash