G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Viscous Limited-Slip Differential Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 08:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Viscous Limited-Slip Differential Question

I see the 05 G35 Sport versions will have Viscous Limited-Slip Differential. I know nothing about cars except where the steering wheel, brake and accelerator are, so I'm wondering if having this feature will be helpful in the snow. I'd rather get a coupe than a sedan, but the sedan comes in AWD which is nice when the snow falls. But if this Viscous Limited-Slip Differential will almost do the same job with snow tires on then I may go for an 05 coupe.

Thanks!

Old 07-17-2004, 09:33 PM
EZZ
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Viscous Limited-Slip Differential Question

The Limited slip is already on the 6mt coupes and sedans. The autos also come with them if you get the sport package for both coupes and autos. When the computer detects slip on one of the tires, the other tire is given power to compensate (thus "limited" slip). Many people have had no problems in snow with Blizztecks and VLSD. Others have had problems because it might be especially bad in that area. HOpe this helps

04 Coupe Auto/DG/Prem/Nav/Perf

Old 07-17-2004, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what does the lsd do when you have vdc on? just got my car and it seems that lsd (same as posi traction, ya?) should xfer power to the real wheel that is not slipping. if so, why vdc? is this more for control around corners and lsd is straight line? have you taken corners with vdc off? i hear the g has some mean oversteer. although i like that (had a mustang 5.0 in a previous life), im am kinda gunshy about turning it off. does lsd do anything with vdc on? just trying to figure out all thsi technical mumbo jumbo before i start hitting it hard

2004 TB Coupe 6MT

Old 07-18-2004, 06:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Viscous was standard on Q45 since 1990 and J30...........works well enough, reliable most lasted well over 200,000 miles with just 60k fluid changes [viscous is sealed unit].

Viscous requires at least a full tire rpm slip/spin before the fluid heats up enough to engage the lock.......thus not the greatest for road racing in corners.

Torsions require a bit more and frequent maintenance.

Old 07-18-2004, 07:24 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.a1.nl/phomepag/markerink/viscolok.htm

GKN Visco Lok/Visco Drive system description.
UK company bought control from Nissan and now supplies BMW/Jag etc VLSD

Hitachi/Tochigi Fuji Sangyo
"Viscous LSD units are popular OEM LSD solutions, as they are relatively simple and cheap to produce. They come in many performance Subarus, Nissans, Mazdas, Toyotas, etc. The LSD unit consists of stacks of thin plates with holes or slots, all suspended in a special silicone fluid. They have no clutches to wear out, and locking characteristics can theoretically be changed by varying fluid viscosity. Generally, however, these units are non-serviceable, and require no special maintenance. As the differential spins, the plates shear the fluid up to a point, after which the fluid provides some resistance to shear, allowing 15-25% torque transfer to the other wheel. The downside is that these units don't act like a limited slip until one wheel actually starts slipping (i.e., they don't prevent slippage), which means the VLSD action often kicks in after you've already exited the corner. Compared to the proactive nature of the Torsen LSDs, the VLSDs are reactive units. They do not prevent slippage, they merely sense differences in rotation, not torque. They also don't allow for very much torque transfer, compared to mechanical or clutch-pack LSDs. They do still work well for starting from a dead stop in slippery conditions. It is important to note that VLSDs locking characteristics occur both during acceleration AND braking, as it can't tell the difference between the two, but merely reacts to the rotational speed differences between the two drive wheels. "

Old 07-18-2004, 07:28 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

All G35 model's and 350Z model's that have oem limited slip from the factory have viscous limited slip, since job one. Their has never been a oem Glen Torsen LSD on any FM platformed vehicle (wow do I wish their was!). Only time anything different appears has been in the form of the Nismo clutch type LSD. 2005 model's that list VLSD are simply listing a continuation of past V35 model specs or spelling them out.

OEM VLS is a fine cold climate friend, but even aggressive street driving quickly show's it's design limitation's. I know full well why so many Z owner's went to clutch type LSD's, as I should have done. Converting my sedan to the OEM VLSD and performance driving doesn't gel. Biggest waste of money I have ever done.

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 07-18-2004, 07:34 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

Thank's Qtech for posting that, that's the best I've ever seen the way a VLS acts to date. Interesting that the source is likely the very maker of our oem VLS unit's. Hitachi

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt