G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Sound Deadening on Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2004 | 09:20 AM
|
Sound Deadening on Coupe

One of my biggest complaints about the G35 coupe is road noise . . .I found a company that sells various after-market sound deadening material that could be installed in the trunk, behind the back seats, on the floor and in the doors/side panels. Question is: Who can I get to install it in NJ?

Although it would be a cool project to do myself, I don't have that kind of time, and quite frankly, the know-how either. Yet, i think if I found a way to quiet this car down, I'd keep it forever.

So if anyone knows, who does this type of work, let me know.

Thanks.

Old 07-18-2004 | 03:30 PM
Re: Sound Deadening on Coupe

Patience4G35, I took am a bit disappointed with the amount of wind/road noise coming through my coupe. And I know it will get even worse when I put on aftermarket rims and tires! I plan to address the noise issues with various Dynamat products, installed by friends at a local car audio shop. This stuff can get expensive, especially when you consider how much there is to cover... I suspect you're like me and would consider the expense a necessity though. I'll post once the car has been done.

Old 07-18-2004 | 03:37 PM
Devil's Advocate

Get a set of quieter tires. Quieter... is that even a word? You ever look at a word and it just looks funny to ya? Anyways, the stock pilots perform well but they are very noisy tires compared to some other options.

Ivory Coupe 5AT
Z tube, K&N drop in.
Crawford Plenum and Fujitsubo Exhaust soon to come...

Old 07-18-2004 | 08:24 PM
|

thanks . . .let me know . . .by the way, there is another company that sells sound deadening material. Check it out . . www.b-quiet.com.

I would love to do some mods on this car to make it quieter!

As for the tires . . . I used to have pilots on my CLK, and they were never as loud as they are on the G. Infiniti completely missed the mark when it comes to noise, vibration, and harshness.

Old 07-18-2004 | 08:57 PM
Devil's Advocate

Not sure which Pilots the CLK came with, but the Pilot Sport are fairly noisy compared to the Pilot XGT or XMX series. Just food for thought.

But as far as Infiniti missing the mark when it comes to sound noise and harshness... well some drivers do like to feel the road.

Ivory Coupe 5AT
Z tube, K&N drop in.

Old 07-18-2004 | 11:42 PM

I have to disagree, feeling the road/communication has nothing to do with harshness and road noise. But if anyone disagress with me, than I am wrong. =)

Old 07-18-2004 | 11:51 PM
Devil's Advocate

I hear ya, but do you think that the Gs are harsh?

Ivory Coupe 5AT
Z tube, K&N drop in.

Old 07-19-2004 | 02:35 AM

can't you dynamat your whole car to reduce the noise coming in?

Old 07-19-2004 | 03:10 AM

Erg... I wouldn't dynomat the whole car, isn't the purpose of dynomat simply to stop propagation of vibration? So actually you just need to put is sparsingly, right?

As far as road noise, I agree it's too much in the coupe, especially in the crappy Northeastern roads. I would look into getting a set of Tein CS w/ EDFC, which would probably be the best way to address the issue without sacrificing too much performance.

Old 07-19-2004 | 08:35 AM

dynomat everywhere is the way to go.

Too many mods to list… Complete Web Site

Old 07-19-2004 | 11:13 AM
|

DFW G35, how much quieter is the coupe with Dynomat? Will it make that much of a difference?

Old 07-19-2004 | 11:14 AM
|

What is Tein . . .

Old 07-19-2004 | 11:18 AM
|

Feeling the road has nothing to do with harshness. Look at BMW. Those cars are not harsh even if they ride firm. Road noise is the product of cost-cutting pure and simple.

I talked to the service manager at my Infiniti dealer, and he commented that they did not put in more sound insulation b/c of weight. BS.

How much would a little more sound deadening weigh? Also, Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I would sacrifice a few tenths of a second if the car was as quiet as a BMW or Benz.

Old 07-19-2004 | 11:24 AM
Devil's Advocate

Hehe, actually given the responses it seems that I'm in the minority here. I am fine with the G the way it is. It may be because it's the nicest car I have ever owned and I don't have any long term Benz driving experience to compare it too, I don't know.

All I can say is that I look forward to and sometimes go out of my way to get my G onto a freeway every chance I get.

Ivory Coupe 5AT
Z tube, K&N drop in.

Old 07-19-2004 | 12:05 PM

Dynamat... ...OR EQUIVALENT... ...is a good investment. Keep in mind, this stuff adds weight, but it does cut down on noise. It will not block out all the noise, but it will muffle it a good deal. You only need a small bit per panel, but speaking from experience, nearly complete coverage (of entire cargo floor or wheel wells, for example) is the way to go.

Don't have the time to go track this down for you, but in all of the time I spent at chevytalk.com (modified '55-'57 forum) insulation was a BIG issue. I can't recall the name, but there is a Dynamat competitor that offers the exact same stuff at almost half the cost of Dynamat... ...without the Dynamat logo printed on it, of course. If you're looking at a full roll of the Dynamat Extreme (metal-backed, good stuff), it's worth checking out chevytalk.com to find the name of the other manufacturer.

<< EDIT >>

It took a while, but I found it. The company is called Cascade Audio, and the stuff is the exact same product as Dynamat. Below is a link that I snagged from the thread at chevytalk.com. I have no experience with this site, but it does allow you to look at the product and see the price. Enjoy [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img] :

Cascade Audio Sound Insulation / Dynamat Equivalent

'05 IP(or ?) 6MT... ...Never too soon to think about modifications!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sound Deadening on Coupe