G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

New G35 coupe or used BMW M3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: New G35 coupe or used BMW M3?

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Get a new g coupe and get your G modified with the money difference of G and M3,then you could easily smoke a new M3,even one with SMG.

<hr></blockquote>
What about MSG? [img]/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

| Hawaii International Race School | Formula Hawaii | Drift Session | Mid Pac Road Racing Association |

Old 07-23-2004, 09:42 PM

Get the M3

Old 07-24-2004, 02:13 AM

To those who say the M3 is a better handling car, I would ask what you're basing that on? In Lateral Acceleration, the G35 can hold anywhere from between .90 to .92 g's where the M3's I've read about hit anywhere from .86 to .87 g's; this is a big deal! According to Road and Track, the one where they compare the new Z to the M3 amongst others, the Z outpaced the M3 on the track, even with the M's superior straight line performance.

Old 07-24-2004, 03:34 AM

I've never had the opertunity to push an M3 really hard, but the G does handle very well, and most importantly very neutrally at the limit. High-speed power-slides and drifts are easy to cleanly execute.
The 350Z is 4 seconds slower around Nurburgring than the M3. For those who don't know, Nurburgring is a LONG very high speed track with sets of various types of corners. It's one of the most difficult, dangerous, and fastest tracks in the world. For the 350Z to finish 4 seconds behind a much faster car on a highspeed track, it must handle considerably better under high-speed conditions.

Old 07-24-2004, 06:12 AM

if you want reliability and cheap maintance then don't touch an european. :-)

Old 07-24-2004, 12:09 PM
J_P

01 M3 models got an extended warranty, 6 yrs from the original in-service date (so around another 2-2.5 yrs left). The reason for this was to alleviate owners' concerns because of the engine issues. Owners were mailed letters informing them of this ext warranty.

BTW, as a former BMW driver, I can attest that BMW labour rates are the same as Lexus & only a bit more than Infiniti (at least in my city, Toronto). Parts do generally cost more but neither Lexus nor Infiniti parts are cheap either.

Faced w/ this dilemma, I'd opt for the G35c but only because my friend already has an M3 (I don't want to have the same car, we hang out 6 days/wk). It'd be a much tougher choice if he didn't have an M3.

Old 07-24-2004, 12:22 PM
J_P

Skidpad is more a reflection of tires IMO. The slalom is the better measure of a car's true handling capabilities, & the M3 does outslalom the G35c.

Old 07-24-2004, 12:44 PM
Devil's Advocate

I have come to the conclusion that slalom and skidpad numbers from various sources are entirely unreliable. Even coming from the same source they can vary quite a bit. To get realistic numbers to compare 2 cars with you'd need to run them multiple times on the same track on the same day and then take an average number for each discarding the worst runs yadda, yadda, yadda....

Having said that I tend to agree with J_P in that slalom is the better indicator of handling because it involves transition from turn to turn basically it factors in the understeer or oversteer characteristic into the final times. Skidpad is simply how much force that the car can take in a turn without losing control. Tires are very important in this one, but there are many other factors.

Ivory Coupe 5AT
Z tube, K&N drop in.
Crawford Plenum and Fujitsubo Exhaust soon to come...

Old 07-25-2004, 12:38 AM

Thanks for all the comments guys. I did a little more research on the whole warranty thing, and it seems like I have mistaken it for extended MAINTENANCE. The extended warranties are MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE.

So, it looks like my brain was right in the first place. Im sticking with the G35 coupe. I think once I get the damn thing , I will be more than happy. I decided that its not worth the headache and fuss to get the M3.

A matter a fact I dont even think I will able to harness even 90% of the G35 coupe's capabilities on a regular basis... So no point in getting something even more powerful. It only increases my chances of getting seriously injured, or worse...

Old 07-25-2004, 11:20 AM

i sold my very nicely modded M3 for the G35. The reason was very complicated but nothing to do with the car. Now 4 months later, I have to tell you that I do not miss the M3 in anyway. I thought I would be crying daily and hate my G. But i actually look foward to drive the G as much as I used to with the M3.

2004 Blk/Graphite/6MT/Premium/Nav/Spoiler/XM/Splash/Formula1tint

Old 07-26-2004, 02:44 AM

M all the way...

What I had, have, want....

01 Lexus GS300 (sold)
02 BMW 325ci
03 G35c or s (?????)

Old 07-28-2004, 02:59 AM

haha I read all of the posts and I must say I'm in the same situation now. I dunno what to do, so I guess I'm going to just sit on my *** for another half a year and see how the market is later, I don't really need a car since I'm going back to school soon. What other cars are you guys looking at, luxury class wise? Already been through my evo s2k s4 tl phases :P Although a used s4 is pretty intrigueing.

Old 07-28-2004, 08:53 AM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

01 M3 models got an extended warranty, 6 yrs from the original in-service date (so around another 2-2.5 yrs left). The reason for this was to alleviate owners' concerns because of the engine issues. Owners were mailed letters informing them of this ext warranty.

<hr></blockquote>

FYI, All 2001, 2002 and 2003 model year E46 M3's have the 6 year or 100,000 mile "anything the oil touches" warranty. I researched this car for over 1 year before getting the G35.

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT test drive the M3 if you even think you want to buy it. You'll get hooked on the acceleration and handling, I promise. Look into the G35 first and then decide if this is "enough" car for your needs. Decide if you're only going to have a daily driver, a track car, etc... If you do this and still feel something is missing, go BMW shopping.

Also, check the following...

1. See if the recommended bearing swap has been performed. If not, check to see if it can still be done and the warranty to 100,000 miles is still applicable.
2. Check if the car is a one owner, non-smoker, no pets vehicle.
3. See if you can get the vehicle cpo'd.
4. Get the local dealer to tell you the ENTIRE repair and maintainance history.

Remember, even cpo-ing a used BMW doesn't guarantee you that you will not have to spend any money. There is a difference between maintainance and repairs.

5. See if the M3 has had the STAGE 1 serivce performed yet.
6. Check the tires and see if there is any tread left.
7. Check for above normal wear and tear.

But most of all, do all of your homework on the G35 FIRST! The BMW is a much more fun car to own and drive and if you really want this vehicle, you owe it to yourself to spend the time up front with the G35.

Having said all of that, I would have bought the M3 hands down if I was single, or my wife would have liked the tranny. Women, you've gotta love 'em.

<font color=blue>The above statements are only my take on the issue. If you disagree with anything I typed then you are 100% right!</font color=blue>

Old 07-28-2004, 01:12 PM

BTW, the previous post was from me, youngjun91, in case you want to know who to respond to. I don't know why my name is not posting. I also wanted to add/edit that the G's slalom speed is faster than most Porsches except for a couple of the 6 figure cars. Which is the better "handling" car?

Old 07-28-2004, 02:49 PM

BMW has created a great reputation for itself that for many people supercedes objective facts.

I'm not saying that BMW's aren't great handling cars, but because of their image, some people would rather not believe that a cheaper car could be as good or better than the expensive BMW.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New G35 coupe or used BMW M3?