G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Is it difficult to catch the factory paint when repainting?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 10:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it difficult to catch the factory paint when repainting?

I got my rear bumper repainted last week and the color is totally off. The body shop owner tried to BS me about the paint being fresh, which is why the color is off, he also said a couple weeks in the sun and the color will match better... I just wanted to know how hard is for bodyshop to replicate the factory finish?
I am bringing back the car, any advice on this is gladly appreciated.
Below you can see the difference in the rear fender.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ivory Pearl (white) is the most difficult to color match.
There have been numerous cases of mismatched Ivory Pearl paint.
But, there aren't many, if any, cases of mismatched Black Obsidian. It's usually easy to match.
I think the shop you took it to may have just done a bad job.

Or... you can wait it out... see if it does in fact change after some sun exposure. If not, take it right back.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:07 PM
Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
we cant even make the picture you provided any bigger.
so i cant tell if the paint is mismatched at all

Old 07-03-2009, 11:10 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Did you mean "MATCH?"

I've had bumpers/sides painted and it matched the rest of the car perfectly. Tell this body dude you want it right or you'd like your $ back, leaving it in the sun for a year won't change a "Miss Match" except making it worse!
Gary

Last edited by gary c; 07-06-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:45 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm trying to powdercoat my wheels to match my Athens Blue car. I had to borrow a paint chip from a bodyshop so they can send it to their powder supplier to formulate a match. With all the blue samples my powdercoster had, nothing was 'close enough'. What a pain.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:22 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I bought a trunk lip off of eBay and was worried about the paint match. I have a LS sedan, and the match was perfect!!

The shop should repaint your bumper and match it correctly.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by Anthens_G
I got my rear bumper repainted last week and the color is totally off. The body shop owner tried to BS me about the paint being fresh, which is why the color is off, he also said a couple weeks in the sun and the color will match better... I just wanted to know how hard is for bodyshop to replicate the factory finish?
I am bringing back the car, any advice on this is gladly appreciated.
Below you can see the difference in the rear fender.
Its not a yes or no answer, sorry.

Yes he bs you when he said that. The sun will "dull" your color after a while but it will not change your color. If your car was a 1985 then the paint is not going to look as fresh as the new bumper so then in that case it will start to look better after being in the sun. But if you drive a G then its not older then a 03 so the paint is not going to be that bad yet.

People on here re all ways saying Ivory Pearl is hard to match or the silver is hard to match. Its not like that. One shop will spray Dupont and another will spray Martin Senior. One paint line might match better one color then the next. I spary PPG and I haveused it for years and I can get those colors to match 100% so it can be done if your good with colors. Some painters are good painters but not good at matching colors.

If the shops painter is really good at his paint line then he can get any color to match (95%) If its worse then that then he needs to fix it, and or blend the color. Some times its not worth spending 4-5 hours trying to match a color 100% when I can blend it in 1 hour. If his color is that far off then he needs to tint the color closer and make test panels to see if its right before you just spray the bumper and say "oh s**t that doesent match" its to late then.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:08 AM
I don't mean to hijack this thread but there seems to be some really knowledgable people here. I have a 2006 LP coupe thats due for a front bumper repaint. It appears that the previous owner had it repainted it at some point, and the color is off just a bit. My question is, will a fresh repaint be blended? I plan on doing the xpel after the repain, so I want everything as near perfect as possible.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:12 AM
pm'd you so we can stay on topic

Old 07-05-2009, 03:35 PM
Thanks for all the insight guys... I just dropped my car back at the Body Shop. The owner of the Body Shop said he going to send my gas tank door to the paint shop,for them to match the paint off the gas tank door. I only hope they get it right this time!!!

Old 07-06-2009, 10:19 AM
I was rear ended recently and got a new bumper. The body shop was able to match my paint perfectly. It probably depends more on the skill and quality of the shop doing the work.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:13 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
I recently found out DG has 7 different variations from the same paint code (what I was told anyway). My body shop spent a long time to get it right, but matched mine extremely well with no blending other sections. Painter I heard was pulling his hair out to get it right. No idea what brand paint they use. Told painter (cool guy) keep that formula for future ref when I come back for other stuff. He said most definitely will

G/L

Old 07-19-2009, 08:02 PM
Paint matching

Hey guys,

I don't post very often but I want to stick up a little for painters. Matching paint can be simple and at the same time it can be tough. It all depends on the car(age, use, sun,etc.). One thing to keep in mind is the pressure of the gun shooting the paint makes a difference. If at the factory it was set at 40psi and at the shop it's at its at 35psi then the paint will come out different even if the paints match. A good painter can get it right so I this case I think the guy is full of BS but just wanted to say that its not as easy as it sounds sometimes..