G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

am i being screwed over?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 10:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: am i being screwed over?

does wipeing off the MAF just let you know what the problem is, or does it also fix the problem?

also, if it is my filter that's causing the problem...should i just buy a new one or ditch the entire cai system? i don't want to have to buy another MAF...

-Ben

2004 DG 5AT coupe / AEM cai / clear corners / JDM badges

Old 07-28-2004, 11:16 AM

some people recommend cleaning the maf, but i do not because it is a bit too easy to destroy it in the process.

if your maf died because of reasons previously stated, removing the oiled filter would keep it from happening again.

Old 07-28-2004, 11:22 AM

but i'd still have to buy a new MAF?

-Ben

Old 07-28-2004, 12:18 PM

is what grider wrote true?

"its pretty much impossible for them to replicate the problem because the oil will drain out in about 1-2 days after "over-oiling"..."

-Ben

Old 07-28-2004, 01:19 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok, im not a technician or a mechanic...

but when i used to re-oil my intake from my previous car, i would oil the $hit out of the filter, then just hang it out to dry overnight before putting it back in the car, and NEVER had a problem with MAF... this was on an accord, they have MAF sensors correct?? i would suppose that oil would drip out of the filter in a couple of days...
what did you do? oil it, then drive it right away?

04 / BO / G / aero / splash / prem / perf / cc / 22%tint
z-tube / k&n drop-in / Eclipse AVN / side-blinker mod

Old 07-28-2004, 01:42 PM

How do you know that Infiniti has released an all points communications? Have you seen it?
Just want to know as I may have an issue with the throttle body after changing to a Crawford Plenum. I changed it back before I took it to the dealer, but I am sure they can tell that I had been screwing around with the plenum.

Old 07-28-2004, 01:58 PM

no i haven't oiled the filter at all...

i recieved the intake system from aem, then put it on my car...everything is brand new. it was running really well for the first month...then soon after, i'm having trouble with my engine stalling and the RPM shifting at abnormal points.

-Ben

Old 07-28-2004, 02:05 PM
Banned

oh, well you should have mentioned that. now, thats VERY strange, they come preoiled, but very lightly...

this brings up an entire new issue... contact AEM... i thought you over-oiled it yourself.

Old 07-28-2004, 02:09 PM
Banned

K&N MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR STATEMENT

At this time, K&N is unaware of any evidence that K&N air filter oil from a K&N air filter can damage or cause the malfunction of a MAF sensor, regardless of the make of the vehicle involved. K&N takes seriously any claim that one of its products is incompatible with its designated application or can damage or cause the malfunction of any automotive component. Such claims are thoroughly investigated and, when appropriate, testing is undertaken to determine their merit. In the case of MAF sensors, ongoing tests have shown that contamination from K&N air filter oil has not caused any failures or malfunctions of the MAF sensors in the test vehicles. K&N is aware that MAF sensors can become contaminated for a variety of reasons, unrelated to a K&N air filter (such as backfiring, blowby, leaking airbox or leaking intake duct) and that various methods have been used by some service departments and repair shops to clean a dirty or contaminated MAF sensor, such as spraying with an appropriate cleaner. K&N has not completed any tests as to the efficacy of such a process and, therefore, does not officially endorse or recommend any cleaning process. However, if given the choice of either replacing a MAF sensor or cleaning it, K&N recommends that the consumer ask his or her automotive dealer to attempt cleaning, before replacement. It should be noted that the presence of contamination does not mean the contamination was the cause of the MAF sensor failure. Sensors can fail for electrical or mechanical reasons, unrelated to any visible contamination.

http://knfilters.com/massair.htm

Old 07-28-2004, 02:10 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guess it never occured that there are at least 4 different designs of MAF in use today........each with its own problems........years ago some GM models had a burn off cycle to clean hot wire sensors of accumulated crud, Toyota uses Karman Vortex, .............not used by Nissan........ever!

With oem paper filters the Nissan thick film hybrid design MAF last way beyond 100k.

If you change things and get caught only you are responsible for the future cost.

Old 07-28-2004, 02:13 PM
Banned

no youre not, Q45tech... read below!

Vehicle Warranty

Contrary to what you may have heard or read, in the USA, a K&N Filtercharger will not void your vehicle warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, passed in 1975, prohibits a manufacturer from conditioning its warranty of a consumer product upon the consumer using any article or service (other than one provided without charge under the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name, unless expressly authorized by the Federal Trade Commission. If the manufacturer does not provide air filters free of charge, they cannot void the vehicle's warranty simply because you have installed an aftermarket air filter.

Letter from K&N Regarding Vehicle Warranty and K&N Replacement Filters
http://knfilters.com/warrantyletter.htm

Old 07-28-2004, 02:34 PM

I have a Nismo CAI and uses the K&N kit to clean and oil my filter assembly. You can prevent oil accumulation by using low air pressure to the inside part of the filter and blowing the excess oil out. This method actually works and you can re-install your filter right away.

SKYLINE 350GT, NISMO R-Tune.

Old 07-28-2004, 07:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?ID=8124

The above site has an excellant detailed proceedure on how to resolve the dispute.

Final excerpt:
"The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act may also be helpful. Under this federal law, you can sue on breach of express and implied warranties. The main point of interest here is that the Act says warranty coverage may not be conditioned upon the use of only the vehicle manufacturer's parts unless the parts are provided free of charge. In other words, use of a non-carmaker product should not void your warranty unless it caused the problem.

Obviously, litigation can involve considerable time and expense on your part. However, if the cost of the warranty claim is high enough, this may be an option to consider. Any such lawsuit or claim would have to be fought on the unique merits of the case and we recommend that you consider finding qualified legal counsel familiar with this area of law. In some cases, the filing of a lawsuit may encourage a settlement of the dispute. You should also be particularly aware of the fact that once you file a lawsuit or claim against the dealer or manufacturer, your vehicle and your documentation may become material evidence and may be subject to inspection and reviews in the lawsuit.

You can also consider going to small claims court, where you can resolve disputes involving small amounts of money for a low cost. The clerk of your local small claims court can tell you how to file a suit and what the dollar limit is in your state. Again, this action will sometimes lead the parties to settle the dispute.

No matter which steps you undertake, always approach the situation in a professional manner. Fits of anger, shouting, threats and the like seldom accomplish anything other than aggravating the situation. The best strategy is to stay calm and tactfully demonstrate your knowledge of your rights and potential courses of action.

In most cases, it will not be necessary to go through the entire process described here. What you will normally find is that you will be able to resolve your situation at a fairly early stage if you have the proper information in written form and you approach the issue in a calm, professional manner."

Old 07-28-2004, 11:58 PM

thanks for all the help so far guys....i'm gonna be doing a bit more research and reading.. feel free to add to what everyone has said. thanks again.

-Ben

Old 07-29-2004, 09:03 PM

well i talked to the infiniti service rep today over the phone...and he still insists that something on my intake has ruined tha MAF, and also quoted the tech saying "as soon as he drove off the lot with your (my) intake and the new MAF installed, the new MAF became faulty actaully before he even left the parking lot. so it has to be due to the intake system(or filter on intake)". he said he didn't know how the new MAF could be destroyed so quickly, but it seems to only affect the 5AT's [the "faulty" MAF still runs correctly on a 6MT for some reason]. sooo, i'm stuck and am not sure where to go from here...i'm gonna give AEM a call tomorrow to see what they say/

-Ben

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: am i being screwed over?