G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

TIRE WEAR ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: TIRE WEAR ???

MrElussive,
The do naturally wear, but like Q45Tech pointed out it can be managed if you want to maximize the capability of your tire. It's not recommended that you "flip" the tires (I don't mean rotate) but that doesn't mean you shouldn't. Remember these same tires are used by any number of different cars, all with different camber, caster and toe configuration. You don't want cupping, chopping or uneven wear on them and anything you do to minimize those undesirable traits will ensure you get the maximum benefit over the maximum amount of time you can.

I would flip them even if it were MORE expensive to do so. It just depends on your mission and driving habits whether you should bother. The other caveat is that you need to manage the guy doing the work for you. If not, you risk them losing your valve stem caps, scratching your rims, or damaging your tire pressure monitor system...that's the downside in addition to the $20 a tire that Sears will charge you. Fortunately I've got a top notch Sears in the area that does a great conscientious job.

I have a feeling the manufacturers of cars like ours that have the camber we do would rather not scare their consumers into thinking that there are exotic maintenance procedures that they must follow. I think the average consumer doesn't even check their tire pressure, let alone care about eeking out the most performance they can out of their $300 tire, even though the tires and tire pressure are probably the single most important maintenance item to perform outside of oil change and analysis.

And don't trust your Infiniti dealer to be conscientious for you, they are mostly interested in raping you for $100 oil changes and replacing parts (under warranty or not). Parts is where they make their money and they aren't necessarily the auto enthusiast that you or I may be.

2004.5 Coupe/5AT/Ivory/Everything but front spoiler/Nismo CAI/Crawford V5/Crawford Cats

Old 08-04-2004, 07:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As a side note....
I bitched about the amount of road noise my car had......
until I took off the POS stock pilots and put my Toyo T1-s on. Much....much quieter.

"I like you.....You remind me of myself when I was young and foolish"

Old 08-05-2004, 07:59 AM

My Pilots are just starting to get noisy at 6000. Maybe the Toyos are quiet because they are new?

I'd appreciate a long term report though VFR because I'm considering the T1s as a better value replacement when it comes time to change tires.

2004.5 Coupe/5AT/Ivory/Everything but front spoiler/Nismo CAI/Crawford V5/Crawford Cats

Old 08-05-2004, 09:25 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love to hear my brand new tires are so quiet compared to my old worn out feathered undermaintained tires. It sure makes the person making that comment sound like [chose various mentally decent terms to insert here]..........Duh obviously new tires are quiet till they wear funny.

Since tires create 95% of handling performance and suspension the other 5%.............gaining a few hundreths of a G or second can be very stressful on tires.

Of course they don't want potential purchasers to understand the wear and tear cost of enhancing performance with tire and brake pads...........fast wear and expensive costs.

Because they know that 90% of the young buyers are financially stretched to the limit never budgeting a few hundred per month for maintenance while in warranty.

A Honda Civic cost 8 cents per mile to maintain to oem brand new specs and a G35 cost close over 12 cents [tires 6-9 cents alone]. For the past 14 years I have averaged 15 cents per mile almost $40,000 in m& r costs [$2850 per year] on my Q and there is a lot of difference between $75-$112 tires and $250 tires.

That extra $1,000 -$1500 a year for tires comes as quite a shock to young people.

Haven't you realized by now that 18-22" tires was a fad created by the tire companies* 17" is large enough for the most massive brakes...........now SUV are a special case needing road clearance.
* Car manufacturers were force kicking and screaming into it, they knew what problems it would cause!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-05-2004, 09:40 AM

So does anyone know what PSI they should be at...? I just got 4 new ones put on (35K miles) and they seem to been a bit over inflated right now...I am going to measure them and most likely let some air out the next time I fill up...

"Operator, give me the number for 911!"
- Homer Simpson

Old 08-05-2004, 11:22 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look TechHead.....I'm not stupid!
i have never been a fan of the Mich Pilot's.
I have tried them on other cars in the past and think they are noisey from day one!
Mile for mile....I say that the Toyo T1-s will be much quieter at the same mileage.

"I like you.....You remind me of myself when I was young and foolish"

Old 08-05-2004, 12:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Noise spectrum is easy to measure with an Acoustic Spectrum Analyser. Even a dosimeter or a Radio Shack Soundlevel meter [$40] can provide a reasonable accurate comparison like the car magazine do.
The frequency response [noise output will vary greatly] BUT each humans perception may be different.
http://www.inrets.fr/ur/lte/publicat...noise00_VA.pdf

New asphalt at 81 db SPL vs grooved asphalt at 86 db SPL is always a concern!
http://www.utexas.edu/research/ctr/p...rts/2957_2.pdf

The 600 page reference work " Tire Road Noise" would make good reading for those interested.
http://www.vti.se/PDF/tyretechnolog.pdf

Nice 92 page study of tire noise [tutorial]
http://www.silentroads.nl/downloads/...01.7.1rev1.pdf

I don't care for certain high frequency [hissing, frying] sounds the Pilots make on certain road types.........but a passenger will look at me like I have 2 heads thinking these are the quietest tires they have ever heard. Each to the own standards.And Aural frequecy response and sensitivity.

As humans age or are exposed to loud music their hearing frequency responce sensitivity changes. What is loud to a non music fan may go unnoticed by a young/old hearing impaired person. {?}

Old 08-05-2004, 01:39 PM

My dealer just had my coupe for 6 days trying to deal with this issue. The front tires started to feather at about 8K miles and by 11K, the tire roar was absolutely unbearable, so I took the car in to my dealer (Houston- Clear Lake Infiniti). I told them I knew about the TSB's for the Z on this issue and they checked and adjusted the toe and camber on the front. The car still made a huge rolling racket, so I immediately returned it and had them do the tire flipping and re-mounting so that the feathered inside edges were now in the outside (front tires only). That solved a bit of the noise, but I hear from other owners that it is just going to get worse again as the inside edges wear down again. People are getting really mad about the road nose and tire replacement issue, and a Corpus Chrisi, TX lawyer has filed a class action suit against Nissan

(see this thread...http://www.zcar.com/forums/read.php?...24892&t=124892).

I think he needs to expand the class to include the G35 coupe, given the silmilarity in components to it's sister car, the Z. There are other threads on this issue in these forums, and no TSB's have been issued to Infiniti dealers. I hope they redesign the geometry on the 2005 models, because I have a feeling that if the class action suit proceeds, Nissan will admit it had design defects with the suspension and certain wheel/tire combinations. The Michelins don't suck that bad...but they should last more than several thousand miles before the start to make insane noise. Nobody wants to spend 35K+ on a luxury touring coupe that is going to make road noise like a tractor trailer when the tires are only several months old. This is going to get ugly for a lot of people.

Some people just don't know how to drive......
I call these people "Everybody But Me."

Randy Smith

Advantage R&D

Houston, TX

mailto:rsmith@adv-eng-ser-inc.com

Old 08-05-2004, 11:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey, I'm glad i'm not the only one.I alway drive nissan but this one seem to have a problem here and there,and i only have 16,000 on my car that's not much at all.My old 300zxtt was a good car for me I have it for over 10 years and I miss it very much.One more thing before i take my car to the dealer i took off my P/c and replace it with my stock air box the car seem to run better and get better on gas too . What up with that.

Old 08-06-2004, 11:20 AM

A friend of a friend owns a 350Z they have all kinds of tire wear issues. Nissan is having to replace his tires. They are so bad infact, a class action lawsuit is being brought against Nissan. Wonder if G35 owners can get on the badwagon since the cars are so similar? Here is the website if anyone is interested in checking into it.

http://www.nissantireproblems.com/class-action.html

I personally do not see any excessive tire wear (12K miles), but at times I do notice a lot ot tire noise when I am coming to a stop.

2003.5 Blk/Blk 6MT/Premium/Aero/Nismo CAI

Previous cars:
1994 Acura Integra GSR
2002 Corvette Z06