G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

eliminated engine pinging completely

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 06:41 PM
G&Z
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eliminated engine pinging completely

yo everyone, so i have cats, catback exhaust and the stillen intake n z tube for my g35c 6mt and have had engine pinging 4ever. i got some ground wires and it seemed to help a little but still pinged. n e ways i got some adhesive reflective heat tape and wrapped my maf sensor pipe and z tube completely and there is no more pinging even after i drive it hard in 100 degree weather with the ac on and then floor it at low rpm. woot... hope u guys can benefit from this.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:06 PM
Hi,

I know its been a while since you posted this but is it possible if you can take a couple pics of your MAF and z tube to show how you wrapped reflective tape around it?

And did you ever have pinging in high rpm range (i.e. above 5k)? Is that considered being under load (i.e. accelerating car hard at high rpm)?

Thanks!

Old 08-09-2010, 07:23 PM
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
^ I would just wrap all of it in anything to reduce the heat. There are probably more effective heat reducers rather than reflective tape too. Just be careful with the MAF not to wrap the part that goes into the intake tube.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by Ryuu
Hi,

I know its been a while since you posted this but is it possible if you can take a couple pics of your MAF and z tube to show how you wrapped reflective tape around it?

And did you ever have pinging in high rpm range (i.e. above 5k)? Is that considered being under load (i.e. accelerating car hard at high rpm)?

Thanks!
still haven't found an answer yet either ?? this pinging nonsense is the ONLY reason I dislike my car (at times lol) .. I would consider the low rpm as where "most" of us are getting the pinging .. "lugging" the engine at those rpms (between 2-3K) .. I'm going the PCV oil catch can route next week since I was told that would work .. I'm going to give it a month .. if it doesn't work, I'm opening the plenum and seeing if there is any oil that I could wipe up to speed the process up .. if this doesn't work, I'm getting the timing retarded .. if THAT doesn't work, I literally give up with the pinging quest and I'm out of ideas lol .. so far, dumping good gas into this car does nothing to stop it, colder plugs does NOTHING to stop it .. ecu reset does nothing to stop it .. it's just a crappy situation .. I'll ABSOLUTELY post if I find anything new because if I can even reduce the pinging by 50%, that's such a big victory that I'd want all of the sufferers to enjoy the much needed smile lol

Old 08-12-2010, 12:35 PM
I am going to start out by wrapping heat tape on the intake box and the tube. Lets see if that makes any difference especially at high rpm. Thats whats really freaking me out.

If pinging doesn't go away after trying all those things that you just mentioned, then there is probably no hope.

Keep us updated and good luck!

Old 08-12-2010, 12:45 PM
I am going to start out by wrapping heat tape on the intake box and the tube. Lets see if that makes any difference especially at high rpm. Thats whats really freaking me out.

If pinging doesn't go away after trying all those things that you just mentioned, then there is probably no hope.

Keep us updated and good luck!
I'll be honest lol I had the same thought process as you .. I bought the z tube and wrapped it in heat reflective tape (good to 2000 degrees) .. and .. still pings .. I guess it couldnt hurt that it's wrapped but more likely wrapping the MAF real good (without damaging it) would be a better bet than the tube itself :-\ .. my catch can was shipped and should be arriving soon .. I'm banking that the oil is lowering my gas octane to the point of pinging so we'll see how it goes but I'd avoid wrapping the intake tube if I were you unless it's made from a metal material (the z tube was an abs type plastic) .. i'll keep you updated for sure

Old 08-12-2010, 12:50 PM
So you are saying that its ok to wrap the ztube but not the stock intake tube? I was thinking of doing something similar to what this guy (tollboothwilley, scroll down to his posts) did: http://forums.nicoclub.com/lets-talk...s-t392878.html

Old 08-12-2010, 01:00 PM
So you are saying that its ok to wrap the ztube but not the stock intake tube? I was thinking of doing something similar to what this guy (tollboothwilley, scroll down to his posts) did: http://forums.nicoclub.com/lets-talk...s-t392878.html
no no no lol I said I wrapped the ztube and it didn't do anything besides make it looks like I wrapped it lol wrapping the stock tube, IMO, wouldn't be worth it .. you're better off just getting the ztube or another intake and wrapping that this way you added a mod and wrapped it for your own satisfaction that it wasn't the lack of heat tape causing the issue .. it seems wrapping the box itself would be worth a try if you want but I'm just saying from experience that the tape on my tube didn't stop the pinging .. who knows though

Old 08-12-2010, 01:06 PM
I see...well, I need to save some bucks to get ztube (I know its pretty cheap around $90 but still...lol). I try doing it to intake box and see how it works.

And so our 'unpinging' quest continues lol.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wrapping the MFA will not eliminate pinking/knock, the IAT sensor applies only a small amount of bias on the fuelling maps, it is far more likely to be the fact that you have a short intake that is drawing very hot air from the engine bay,
A decent intake that is either totally boxed and only supplied with an external air source. or a long intake with the filter positioned in or close to an air intake in the front bumper will have a far better effect.

However a lot of cars will be subject to low RPM pinking, especially in traffic due to the emission compliant maps in the ECU.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:20 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
yah the pinging from 2-3k rpm is annoying! I always think somethings wrong with the motor but that seems to be the norm for the G

Old 08-12-2010, 07:32 PM
damn i would be really frustrated

Old 10-14-2010, 02:54 PM
Any updates on engine ping fix?

Old 10-14-2010, 10:13 PM
Any updates on engine ping fix?
I have the catch can in and have emptied it twice with a lot of oil each time .. I have run two treatments of BG44K and have the colder plugs .. I've all but given up on figuring this out .. seems it's a LOT worse after you've driven and then let the car sit for a little .. I'm 99.9% sure it has to do with heat soak but have no idea what the heat is playing with to cause this .. I was thinking of running a colder thermostat but I'm all but done putting a DIME into this car for now .. I'm just going to drive and it probably let the next person pick up with where I left off .. maybe one of you will figure it out but I'm moving away from the Infiniti brand after this lol I was roped in by the exhaust and stabbed in the heart by the slew of problems .. oh well .. buyers remorse