G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

WHAT IS THIS NOISE !? (vid included)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clarkkent06
it's definitely not something that will void your warranty. I'm almost positive he doesn't know either A) what you're talking about specifically or B) he just doesn't know. I think he might think you are venting the PCV valve to the atmosphere, which "technically" is not emissions legal. But you're not, it's still going back into the engine. All you are doing is removing one hose and replacing it with 2 hoses with a can in the middle. It is COMPLETELY reversible. And easily reversible, if you're worried about the Infiniti tech's seeing it.

Yes, I know. Pinging is the layman's term for "pre-detonation". In other words, the gas and air in your cylinders is exploding before the spark plug is firing (bad). It mainly happens under high load situations, like going up hills in lower RPM's. Like you're experiencing. And yes, you can prevent it by manipulating the throttle (putting less gas into the chambers). One thing that causes pinging is a "lean" fuel mixture (lots of air and not much gas). This will burn "hotter", which heats up the cylinders, which will cause pre-detonation. Lots of low emissions vehicles these days are tuned from the factory to run leaner rather than richer (thereby causing more pinging). Why, you ask? Lean fuel mixtures A) get better gas mileage and B) burn hotter and therefore cleaner and more completely for less emissions. So, theoretically, you could get an piggyback computer and get it tuned and program your car to run richer (which could actually gain you horsepower). Obviously you'd lose gas mileage, and also possibly not pass emissions. I've noticed much much less pinging with the catch can, and I'm sure you will, too. Especially after cleaning the upper plenum.

By the way, if you're worried about a catch can voiding your warranty, you might not want to put the plenum spacer in there. Putting anything on, however minor, could potentially be causing warranty voiding issues, depending on your dealer and all that. A oil catch can most likely will not, a plenum could, they could claim crazy stuff about you opening your engine and all that.
okay .. someone asked for the noise, so I recorded it .. maybe it will help .. I'm going to order the catch can within a week but any other ideas would help a lot .. I don't see why I should have to add parts to this to make a noise go away .. this just seems like a big F up on Infiniti's part .. I just want to make sure this WILL help and I'm not wasting money with this catch can .. I just don't see WHAT else it could be causing this noise :-\

sorry about the wind but it's all I could think of and recently the noise has gotten worse and definitely more audible .. which, is not something that makes me too happy ..

thanks again for all the posts everyone .. I'm going to a meet tomorrow for Nissan and Infiniti owners and I'm hoping to snag a few g owners to ask them if they have this ****ty noise

Old 11-08-2009, 12:58 PM
This was the most helpful answer I've read by far. Thanks.

Originally Posted by parhamm1
Here in the G community that rattle noise you're hearing is referred to as flywheel chatter. This is 100% normal on all G35 and 350z 6mt's. Changing the clutch and flywheel to something other than stock will do nothing more then increase the noise. If you don't like the noise hold in your clutch while shutting down or next to a wall in a drive thru line. I've learned to live with it and remain loving my 6mt coupe.

I'm more then happy to thoroughly explain it if you would like, but if you search 'flywheel chatter' here on Driver you will probably discover endless information.

Matt

Old 11-09-2009, 11:16 AM
BUMP

I have tried reading more into this to fix the issue without having the add the catch can .. I read about a few possible causes .. someone said a bad EGR valve could be causing ping .. I also heard that if my timing was off, I could get ping .. I mentioned the timing to my mechanic and he told me that there's no way to check the timing on MY car and that if the timing was off, my check engine light would go on .. is he just blowing me off ??

also, went to a car meet yesterday and decided to check my oil before leaving .. the car was only sitting for 10 minutes, so I know the reading was off .. I am checking again when I get home from work .. just curious .. if the oil was low and it's burning oil, could the low oil level be causing ping under load ??

Thanks again for all the answers .. if I can't figure this out in a little while I'm just going to put the catch can and pray that solves it

Old 11-11-2009, 11:38 AM
A little update for everyone .. I took the car back to the dealer this morning .. I took the tech for a road test and he was able to hear the pinging .. right away he said that there was carbon buildup and that he was going to run some sort of flush to the car to fix this issue .. also, he said that they reset the car to factory settings and that something might have been off with that .. I mentioned me being low on oil after only 1,000 miles since my last oil change and he said I was, in fact, one quart low .. they topped me off and sealed it all up for me to go back in 1,000 miles .. didn't think of it until now but I think I may have that oil consumption issue .. the dealer said it would take 1-3 of these 1,000 mile tests before he put in a claim with Infiniti but we'll see how that goes .. so far, I'm still hearing ping but I'm hoping the flush will need a little time to work itself out anyone think this will work itself out ?? also, they put in injector cleaner and told me to drive for 30 minutes between 4-5K rpm to give the injectors a good flush .. I'll keep this thread updated with anything new just in case anyone else is going through this nonsense .. if anything it's being documented and it's just giving me ammunition against Infiniti