G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

How to save gas?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 12:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to save gas?

How do i save gas with a 06 g35 coupe. Lately i've been only getting like 17-18mpg and 250miles a tank, which is really frustrating when i have to fill up every week, or week and a half.

i usually shift to neutral down short hills and hat pushes the gas up a little but is there any other way of driving so that way i save gas? just a little?

Old 12-04-2009, 12:48 AM
don't drive?! haha. i don't know, but it would be nice if there were some tips/tricks. especially when pumping premium.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:26 AM
Umm switch between like 2500-3000 rpms? Don't floor it, I always like to get like speed of 60-80 and just pop in neutral and roll the rest of the way. I've also heard someone shutting their car off when they approach red light, change filter, maintenance.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:26 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by thayamoviete
How do i save gas with a 06 g35 coupe. Lately i've been only getting like 17-18mpg and 250miles a tank, which is really frustrating when i have to fill up every week, or week and a half.

i usually shift to neutral down short hills and hat pushes the gas up a little but is there any other way of driving so that way i save gas? just a little?
Shifting to neutral down short hills actually hurts your gas millage.

As long as your car is in gear, the RPM's are above a certain point(1500 RPM's), and you have your foot completely off the gas with the engine fully warmed up... the fuel cut feature will engage as you coast for a second or so. It's called DCFC(Deceleration Fuel Cut) in most vehicles, and it's not new technology. It's been around for at least 10-12 or more years and you use no fuel when it's in effect instead of using the amount of fuel that is required to idle(which is what you use when you put it in neutral while coasting down the hill). It's not a very big difference in fuel usage, but I just wanted to point out that going to the effort of shifting to neutral on a short hill isn't saving any gas.

You can read about it in the FSM if you don't believe me... it's on page EC-28 and is described as Fuel Cut Control(at no load or high engine speed) on our cars.

Last edited by partyman66; 12-04-2009 at 04:03 AM.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:30 AM
You drive a G. You have to expect this and get use to it.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:32 AM
Received 535 Likes on 296 Posts
buy a prius

Old 12-04-2009, 01:40 AM
Don't leave the stoplight at 4000 rpm

Seriously, short shift and drive in the highest gear you can without bogging. Be patient, drive like an old person, or better yet--drive like you're in a NASCAR at a super speedway (basically, think about momentum: don't run up on traffic then have to constantly get on the brakes, then have to be right back on the throttle to run up on traffic again--think smooth).

Take out your spare tire/jack, replace with inflation can, and remove any other unnecessary stuff in the car/trunk. When modding the car think light: lighter wheels, lighter exhaust, rotors, etc, etc.

Other wise, just live with it High teens in MPG seem to be very common for this heavy car, it's the trade off for having a fun/classy/sporty ride. My 05 AT averages 21-22 in city driving when I drive conservatively (18-19 when I have more fun), but it will get 26-28 hwy at 80 w/cruise on.

Look at it this way, tons and tons of people are driving trucks and SUVs everyday that would love your MPG !

Old 12-04-2009, 02:13 AM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
Why does everyone complain about gas mileage?? This is a naturally aspirated 3.5L engine, but your 1.6L honda.

Makes me wonder how many of your guys are lying about what car you came from. Anyone that's owned a big 6cylinder never complains....

Old 12-04-2009, 04:07 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Sharkroy
but it will get 26-28 hwy at 80 w/cruise on.
That sounds pretty optimistic for fuel economy on our cars. Most G35 Coupes do about 24-25 MPG max on the highway at about 65 MPH with cruise on and flat ground.. and around 22-23 MPG Max at 80 MPH.

If I want to get 28 MPG on the highway, i'd have to be in 6th gear loafing at around 55 MPH.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:49 AM
Originally Posted by eurodre
buy a prius
haha your avatar is Brian...

Old 12-04-2009, 06:49 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have had my car for about 6 months now. When i got it, I was getting 22.5 mpg, since November I have been getting around 20mpg. I am hoping that it is merely the change in winter gas but I am gonna do a tune up anyways to make sure. I am at 123k and it's over due. But it was a quick down-fall. Concerns me a little. Still runs the same just the mileage sucks. 6th gear luggin around shows me getting WORSE mileage than 5th gear. ^th gear still has plenty of power but it seems the strain on the motor reduces the mileage so I use 5th until I get on the highway.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:26 AM
10% less fuel economy after 1 Nov due to Ethanol mix. One thing a lot of people don't mention here is to periodically Seafoam your engine to clean out carbon deposits & sludge in the intake track, combustion chambers & O2 sensors. If you use a pre-oiled air filter (like K&N) the filter oil can cause your Mass Air sensor to get a bad reading too, and can benefit from cleaning the element with the proper cleaning spray (available at Autozone & other car parts retailers). Ensure your tires are properly inflated, an underinflated tire will cause mpg to suffer, as will bigger/wider/heavier tires & wheels due to increased rolling resistance.

I used Seafaom on my 04 Coupe 2 days ago & it made a huge difference in power & mileage. Here's a few tutorials, works on any gas engine...

http://ls1tech.com/forums/general-ma...-your-car.html

BTW, I don't use the funnel method, I use the brake vacuum hose & let the running engine slowly suck in 1/2 a can, & pour the other half in the fuel tank. I don't like the engine dieing from sucking in the fluid that quickly, so I let it pull the fluid out slowly & listen to the engine, so it doesn't bog too much. If you use good oil & change it properly, I don't see the need to use it in my engine oil. After 1/2 a can is sucked into the vacuum hose, turn off the engine & wait 5 minutes, then start it up...it will smoke like crazy (white smoke) for 5 minutes or so, until the remaining residue is burned out in the combustion process, so be aware if you intend on driving somewhere immediately...not a good idea until the smoke dissipates. I do this on every used car I get, and it makes a difference every time.

Last edited by Matt K; 12-04-2009 at 09:34 AM.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by Matt K
10% less fuel economy after 1 Nov due to Ethanol mix. One thing a lot of people don't mention here is to periodically Seafoam your engine to clean out carbon deposits & sludge in the intake track, combustion chambers & O2 sensors. If you use a pre-oiled air filter (like K&N) the filter oil can cause your Mass Air sensor to get a bad reading too, and can benefit from cleaning the element with the proper cleaning spray (available at Autozone & other car parts retailers). Ensure your tires are properly inflated, an underinflated tire will cause mpg to suffer, as will bigger/wider/heavier tires & wheels due to increased rolling resistance.

I used Seafaom on my 04 Coupe 2 days ago & it made a huge difference in power & mileage. Here's a few tutorials, works on any gas engine...

http://ls1tech.com/forums/general-ma...-your-car.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbbx7_FA_2s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D11ZV...eature=related

BTW, I don't use the funnel method, I use the brake vacuum hose & let the running engine slowly suck in 1/2 a can, & pour the other half in the fuel tank. I don't like the engine dieing from sucking in the fluid that quickly, so I let it pull the fluid out slowly & listen to the engine, so it doesn't bog too much. If you use good oil & change it properly, I don't see the need to use it in my engine oil. After 1/2 a can is sucked into the vacuum hose, turn off the engine & wait 5 minutes, then start it up...it will smoke like crazy (white smoke) for 5 minutes or so, until the remaining residue is burned out in the combustion process, so be aware if you intend on driving somewhere immediately...not a good idea until the smoke dissipates. I do this on every used car I get, and it makes a difference every time.

exactly what he said. i couldnt have described it better. seafoam does wonders..

Old 12-04-2009, 10:59 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by eurodre
buy a prius
+ 1,000,000 on that.
ROTFLMAOL

Old 12-31-2009, 06:15 AM
funny how my navi says im averagain 22.4, however when i take total mileage/gallons pumped, im actually getting 17

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to save gas?