G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Can the Dealer change or set the odometer back?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can the Dealer change or set the odometer back?

The reason I am asking is that my car was at the dealer for 4 days (over the weekend) for service.
The odometer reading changed by only 2 miles while while at the dealer. I have the reading written on the invoice too.
Both of my tripmeters A and B were zeroed apparently not sure why. Can that happen if battery is disconnected?

Anyway the reading on the tripmeters A and B both read 5.8 miles when I got my car back.

How is that possible?
Odometer went up by only 2 miles and tripmeter was zeroed and went up by almost 6 miles.

I know this might be **** but it was really puzzling me so I asked.

2003 G35 Black Sedan

2003 G35 Black Sedan

Old 08-24-2004, 04:02 PM
Re: Can the Dealer change or set the odometer back?

If you can prove it the dealership would get a very very very hefty fine, as it is illegal for any service place to mess with the mileage on the odometer.

however, proving it could be difficult and i have no idea how you would even start.

If you really want to know i would start by calling a different infi, or nisson dealership and explain that it was a different dealership that serviced your car before you even start asking questions.

Old 08-24-2004, 04:53 PM

the dealership has to send off the cluster to Nissan/ICA in order to set the mileage (like in the instance yours breaks). Its not a consult II thing.

Old 08-24-2004, 07:34 PM

I had all my gauges replaced, and they sent the replacements back with a totally different mileage. I asked them to change the mileage to what it showed when I brought it in. The mileage would have worked in my favor BTW. They siad that it would cost me a bunch of money to have that done, but that they would go half. Plus they did not know how many miles I had on it. WTF!!! I told them to look at the service receipt from when I brought it in. I also told them that I would not pay them to change the mileage back to what I had on prior to bringing it in. I did not want to have to always do the math as to when I need service. They finally said that they would do it as "goodwill" or something to that effect.

Just pisses me off that they screwed up, and try to get me to pay for it. I had the gauges replaced in my '96 Impala, and chevy replaced them under warranty and put the correct mileage on them without me even having to worry about it or even ask about it.

So I guess what I am trying to say is, they have to send out the gauge cluster to reset the mileage, not something they can do at the dealer. The gauges go to Delco I believe. Takes at least 3 days

F.Y.A.

Old 08-24-2004, 11:52 PM

the only way ICA would charge them is if it wasnt the original problem. Or maybe they thought Fedex would be expensive : / I've never heard of that much trouble to have the ODO set to the ECU mileage

Old 08-25-2004, 02:37 AM

If they disconnected the battery terminals for any length of time the trip odometers would reset to zero.

BLKSNAKE - '04 G35 Coupe
Check out my hidden sub! [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Old 08-25-2004, 08:58 AM

My friend had somebody set back the mileage on his car a few years ago and it was a digital odometer. Some guy came with a device, plugged it in somewhere and was able to set the mileage. He charged my friend a couple of hundred bucks which was nothing to him since he went way over his lease mileage and was going to pay out the ***. Has anybody heard of that device they use to turn the miles back? I wish I still talked to my friend who had it done so I could ask him how they did it again.

Old 08-25-2004, 10:21 AM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I wish I still talked to my friend who had it done so I could ask him how they did it again.

<hr></blockquote>

Limited visitation hours in the federal pen?