G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Overlay install question?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overlay install question?

I tried to install bluebats overlays on my tail lights but I couldn't get it aligned. I ordered the gtr style. I've spent hours trying to align it. The circles just don't align. I get the left lights aligned but the reverse light will be off by half a circle. Anyone who did this can you tell me how you aligned it? When you spray soapy water on the overlay does the circles align when you put them on? I figure I have to cut the overlay in half to get it to align cause there is no way I can slap one piece right on there and align it. I've tried heating it up a bit to shrink it no luck though. I took it off and put it in water but it has a few wrinkles on it now. Haven't tried slaping the other overlay. Anyone did this share how it worked out for you.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:34 PM
Arrow

Originally Posted by code2424
I tried to install bluebats overlays on my tail lights but I couldn't get it aligned. I ordered the gtr style. I've spent hours trying to align it. The circles just don't align. I get the left lights aligned but the reverse light will be off by half a circle. Anyone who did this can you tell me how you aligned it? When you spray soapy water on the overlay does the circles align when you put them on? I figure I have to cut the overlay in half to get it to align cause there is no way I can slap one piece right on there and align it. I've tried heating it up a bit to shrink it no luck though. I took it off and put it in water but it has a few wrinkles on it now. Haven't tried slaping the other overlay. Anyone did this share how it worked out for you.
I had alignment issues as well! The only way to fix it is to cut the overlay so you can better align it! I know it sucks, but that's what my installer had to do to get them aligned properly. In the end, they turned out okay, but I'm dreading the day they'll begin to peel!

Old 02-17-2010, 10:52 PM
I bought a set as well and made an attempt at an install a couple weeks ago.. I thought I was crazy until I read this post. I spent the longest time trying to get them to line up but they did not fit correctly not matter what I did. I used a heat gun and had one of my buddies help.. Could not do it. I decided I might as well go the old fashioned way and paint em. Looks better anyway. When I ordered them I was under the impression that they were cut exactly to fit with a little extra around the outside edges. Needless to say - I was wrong.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:01 PM
Ok this helps alot. Guess I will try and cut it tomorrow

Old 02-17-2010, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by apro06g35
I bought a set as well and made an attempt at an install a couple weeks ago.. I thought I was crazy until I read this post. I spent the longest time trying to get them to line up but they did not fit correctly not matter what I did. I used a heat gun and had one of my buddies help.. Could not do it. I decided I might as well go the old fashioned way and paint em. Looks better anyway. When I ordered them I was under the impression that they were cut exactly to fit with a little extra around the outside edges. Needless to say - I was wrong.
Did you paint yours full smoke or did you like tape to make it look gtr? Cause I want mine to look like gtr.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:10 PM
I haven't had a chance to do it yet - Most likely I will end up going with the GTR look. Looks sexy on the G.