G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Too Much Body Roll

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 11:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too Much Body Roll

Hey guys, sorry for the ambigious post. My 04 coupe currently has Stillen sways set to full stiff and SMA coilovers (Paul from US Autotech asked me to do a review, but without summer tires on, it's difficult to tell how much of an improvement they make) also set to full stiff. The car is dropped about an inch all around. I'm still on my Blizzak LM-25's, but I can't shake the feeling that my car rolls too much while cornering. I was wondering if anyone here had any tips or advice as to how I could minimize that roll and get more direct handling and responsibe steering. Would a set of adjustable endlinks make a difference (I''m noticing a bit of knocking)? What tire pressure would you recommend? How much of a difference is there between summer and winter tires? Sorry for the questions, hopefully they're not flame worthy.

Aidan

Old 02-26-2010, 12:02 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Maybe a strut bar would help.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:07 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Before you do anything wait until you're back on summer tires. Adjustable end links set on the medium hole in your Stillen sways will help along with a upper strut bar. Neither of these are expensive but I'd wait until you can get out and really drive your G with quality tires.
Gary

Old 02-26-2010, 12:11 AM
Adjustable endlinks would probably help take some of the the sway out. The stock endlinks may be pretty pre-loaded with your stillen sways set on full/full. I haven't heard too many people running full/full...it may not be an ideal setup for the car, but I'm no expert at that.

Don't know anything about SMA coils, but if you can adjust the damping on them you could always try firming them up.

Last if you haven't upgraded your bushings on the stillen kit, you may try that. The sway bar sticky in the suspension tech section has the part #s.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:49 AM
Thanks for all the responses guys. As of right now, the coilovers are on full stiff front and back. What cold PSI would you recommend I run the tires on to get the best handling (ride quality is second for me)? Also, how much of a difference do you find winter tires make in terms of roll and handling? Also, most of what I've read about strut bars indicates that the performance increase isn't very noticeable. Anyone care to comment?

Old 02-26-2010, 04:19 AM
Received 168 Likes on 149 Posts
What's our winter tire specs? You might feel more roll if you have higher profile tires.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:58 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
My GT Spec bar stiffened the front up just a touch. I noticed that it did eliminate a few rattles inside though.

I can't tell if it had any effect on roll. You might have your coils and sways too stiff.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:57 AM
That's interesting. I never really thought that the roll would be coming from too stiff a suspension. How exactly does that work?

Old 02-26-2010, 03:07 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
because you are taking all the lean out of the suspension. the inside shocks dont compress as much, dont lower center of gravity, you feel body roll

Old 02-26-2010, 04:32 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Shocks don't directly affect the amount of body roll, they do affect how quickly the car rolls and in short loads they can mitigate it, two way shocks help in that they can be adjusted to compensate for both the lifting and the squat. Spring rates have a big affect on roll along with the sways.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:54 PM
chassis braces(strut bars, tie bars,) and dampers will not affect body roll.
springs, tire sidewall stiffness, and sway bars will.

lowering the car will change the roll center and suspension geometry, you might want to look into that.
or ask a more experienced driver to drive your car and see what the problem is.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:02 PM
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
everything
Ok so if you're running Blizzaks(which I believe are frowned upon being used on dry pavement once the temperatures are above freezing) obviously its snowy and icy where you live right? So if these conditions exist why are you worried about cornering in winter time on slippery roads? Why not wait to get summer tires on the car first before dialing everything in?

Old 02-26-2010, 05:04 PM
It's currently around 25 degrees fahrenheit here, but the roads are almost completely dry. The car just seems quite a bit looser than I would like. I'm trying to figure out if it's just the tires or if there's anything else I should be looking at.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:02 PM
Just a thought but, have you checked your endlinks to see if they're actually bolted to the sway bar? LOL sounds dumb but, the other day when I was changing my brake pads I noticed that my front passenger side endlink bolt was missing. I don't know how long I've been driving without my front sway bar haha.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AidanP
It's currently around 25 degrees fahrenheit here, but the roads are almost completely dry. The car just seems quite a bit looser than I would like. I'm trying to figure out if it's just the tires or if there's anything else I should be looking at.
Loose? Too much rear sway can induce oversteer

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Too Much Body Roll