G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Harmonic balancer wobbling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 04:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Harmonic balancer wobbling

So, my car is making a noise while it is idling, I opened the hood and the noise is clearly coming from the harmonic balancer. Because the noise is in the rythm of the pulley wobbling. Is it possible for the HB pulley to go bad? Car has 130,000 miles on it. I'm afraid that it would come apart and sling belts and the pulley all over OR wear a hole in the timing cover since it sounds like it rubbing it.
What do u guys think?

Old 03-02-2010, 07:24 AM
No one has had a Harmonic Balancer problem .It's squeaking like crazy at idle. It's not a belt squeak either, it's something else.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:18 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
It's possible, but unlikely. Have you had any overheating issues? Are the bolts on the pulley tight? When the car is running, does the belts look like they are moving front to back?
If none of the above seems to be the case, get new belts from the Nissan dealership, not from parts store.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:22 AM
Originally Posted by GrocryGettr
It's possible, but unlikely. Have you had any overheating issues? Are the bolts on the pulley tight? When the car is running, does the belts look like they are moving front to back?
If none of the above seems to be the case, get new belts from the Nissan dealership, not from parts store.
NEVER overheated. The car has been great until last week. Yea, the HB is moving back and forth as if it is bent. Not sure how that would ever happen unless something came up off the road and smalled it. But it is moving back and for about a milimeter or 2. You can watch the belts and they are going forward and back and the squeak goes along with the movement of the pulley. So I think the problem is there. I am ordering undersdrive pulleys and replacing it. I think the squeak is the pulley rubbing the front of the timing cover or somethig behind it.

Really strange. I gotta find out what size belts go on the underdrive pulleys.

The following users liked this post:
Queasy E (03-24-2020)
Old 03-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
I'd replace it with a OE balancer, those aftermarket pullys are way over rated and cause issues of their own. Not a good idea!
Gary

Queasy E (03-24-2020)
Old 03-02-2010, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by gary c
I'd replace it with a OE balancer, those aftermarket pullys are way over rated and cause issues of their own. Not a good idea!
Gary
What kind of issues? Low Voltage?

Old 03-02-2010, 10:34 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
No. More like bearing failure on the crank.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by GAU-8
No. More like bearing failure on the crank.
I read one case of that. I am thinking that the present HB will do the same thing in it's current state since it is wobbling. Any pulley unbalanced or not centered would ware the bearings from being out of balance spinning that fast. I think it's up to watching how your car is running and checking the pulleys ever now and then for ware....
How many instances of Crank Failure have there been? I have only read of one so far. Not sure I am convenced.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:51 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I was on the other G35 site when I read about that. There were several threads containing issues. One in particular had to replace the motor. This goes beyond this platform. Many cars experience adverse effects from lightweight crank pulleys. Depending on the manufacturer, if the weights aren't correct for the crank it's being put on, it can cause long term failure. Some fail catastrophically; others show signs before major problems arise. If the stock one came loose or failed (which is engineered to last the life of the car generally) what's to say some aftermarket company that only did their R&D for a short time and then spit out parts for sale is going to last any better than the stock one?

Old 03-02-2010, 09:29 PM
No worries. I found the problem.... The HB was loose. The bolt was finger tight. I torqued it to 90 ft. lbs. and drove to the store. Felt great, no more vibrations. I pull out in 1st gear and all hell broke loose. Sounded like a bag of rocks and the motor shut off. The HB came off and then the timing chain broke and trashed the engine. I am up sh*t creek.

Queasy E (03-24-2020)
Old 03-02-2010, 09:40 PM
Administrator
Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by jwrape
No worries. I found the problem.... The HB was loose. The bolt was finger tight. I torqued it to 90 ft. lbs. and drove to the store. Felt great, no more vibrations. I pull out in 1st gear and all hell broke loose. Sounded like a bag of rocks and the motor shut off. The HB came off and then the timing chain broke and trashed the engine. I am up sh*t creek.

Was it the OEM Crank Pulley?
Did you check to see if the Key on the crank pulley was chewed up before tighten it down?

Probably the key on the crank pulley got chewed from when it was running loose

Old 03-03-2010, 06:45 AM
Originally Posted by Glex25

Was it the OEM Crank Pulley?
Did you check to see if the Key on the crank pulley was chewed up before tighten it down?

Probably the key on the crank pulley got chewed from when it was running loose
You are probably correct. Doesn't matter now though. The mistake has been made and now the motor is done. The best i can hope for is a rebuildable core, but either way I need a different motor to ride. So I'm on the search

Old 03-03-2010, 07:53 AM
Take the bolts out, one at a time, and put some blue loctite on them, then install and torque. Won't loosen again.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by grovefromnh
Take the bolts out, one at a time, and put some blue loctite on them, then install and torque. Won't loosen again.
If the motor was still with us I would.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:40 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by grovefromnh
C'mon man, really. Do you even read these threads or just post stupid BS?????

His engine is BLOWN!! Why would he worry about fvckin Loctite now??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Harmonic balancer wobbling