G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Plenum

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 06:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plenum

Hey i was interested in buying a plenum for my G but i have been able to find where to buy it. So where would be the best and cheapest place to get one???? and what are the gains of having one?

Black/Black 04, 5AT, Premium, Navi, Aero,Nismo CAI, 8000k hids in foglights

Old 09-13-2004, 06:21 PM
Re: Plenum

uuuh yeah, the gains are that with a plenum your car will run....lol....seriously though, are you talking about that one that raises the intake to the front cylinders to balance the air flow??....check the links at the top of the page here, I thought I saw that one on one of those sites.

Better to burn out than fade away. '04 G35c, 5at, Prem, Sport, Punk Tunes "TEMPTID"

Old 09-13-2004, 06:38 PM
Old 09-20-2004, 11:30 AM

kinetix is good ive heard

Old 09-20-2004, 05:11 PM

I just installed the Kinetix plenum as my first mod. I can tell you there is a definate improvement in performance at higher RPM--it pulls to redline much stronger now. I paid $399 for mine direct from Kinetix and I just noticed they reduced the price to 369.

Old 09-20-2004, 05:48 PM

Hey Azcougarman,

How was the installation? It looks like a real breeze from what I saw online just unscrew the current and put on the new and screw it on... is it really as simple as it looks?

(waiting for the APS Plenum here =D)

Old 09-20-2004, 07:03 PM

Dennis,

The only hard part is getting to the two Socket Head Cap Screws under the throttle body. You'll definitely want a socket set with allen wrench attachments, as those buggers are screwed on VERY TIGHT!!! I did the plenum install myself and it was relatively easy.

Also, I strongly recommend the Crawford Plenum over the Kinetix. I've seen both plenums on the dyno and there is NO WAY the Crawford Plenum is ever going to crack! If you have the patients and time to wait for the APS plenum, it might be well advised. It looks like the perfect plenum solution, as long as it requires the removal of the Tower Strut Bar on the 350Z. Otherwise, I'd stick with Crawford...

Old 09-20-2004, 07:38 PM

neff real simple solution to that....

Take the throttle body OFF first. Very simple to do, there are 2 clamped hoses under the actual throttle plate (slightly out of view). All you need to do is stand at the driver side wheel and look at the TB (with the intake line removed ofcourse) and you will see both of them. The one facing the wheel can be removed with very little trouble, the one in the back will require you to wiggle a pair of pliars in from the back of the motor (VERY simple). Next, grab your drill (or impact gun for those who are fortunate enough) and remove the 4 hex heads from the TB with very little obstruction/effort. Those suckers are in there TIGHT.

2003.5 G Coupe premium. 6MT Black/black
JWT/Z tube, UR pulley set, Crawford v5 plenum, Crawford Cats, Technosquare ECU (Crawford package) -Crawford headers and Injen SES on the way-

Old 09-20-2004, 07:40 PM

After disconnecting the hoses, lift off the plenum.... I always leave out the important step lol =)

JWT/Z tube, UR pulley set, Crawford v5 plenum, Crawford Cats, Technosquare ECU (Crawford package) -Crawford headers and Injen SES on the way-

Old 09-20-2004, 07:49 PM

Yeah, but my problem was that those buggers were on there tight and all I had was an allen wrench. I tried and tried until I finally broke those screws loose. My fingers still have allen wrench impressions in them and I've had the plenum on for ~ 6 months. [img]/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Old 09-20-2004, 09:31 PM

Ok wow major screw up on my part. Do not take the TB off first. Leave it on, thats the point I was trying to get at, then remove the bolts with the TB attached to the Plenum, which is now off the motor and outside of the engine compartment. Reinstallation takes maybe 2-5 minutes longer because its a little awkward to install the lines back into the TB, but breaking one of those little allen bolts is the _WORST_ thing you could do during this install (short of dropping a bolt into the lower manifold... lol) Those bolts are such a PITA to replace, as pretty much any bolt on our car is. Im still rockin a MAF bolt in my plenum because of a damn backorder. God forbid I break the other guide bolt, I dont have anything to replace it with. I seriously wonder what would have happened if I had blown a bolt on my stock plenum and dropped it off for service. Ive been waiting for this bolt for ~1.5 months now. Imagine not having your car for that long for an issue like that.... geez.

JWT/Z tube, UR pulley set, Crawford v5 plenum, Crawford Cats, Technosquare ECU (Crawford package) -Crawford headers and Injen SES on this weekend!-

Old 09-21-2004, 12:10 AM

anyone know what the price will be on the APS plenum? Looks like i'll have money right when they bring it out so my baby's gonna be rocking a new plenum in about 2 months. =)

'03 G35c DG/G 6mt, full options
clear corners, tint, z-tube/popcharger,
nismo titanium shift ****

Old 09-21-2004, 12:25 AM

It's a straight-forward procedure as described in the forum. The four hex screws on the throttle body are very tight. As a result, I would recommend using a 5mm allen attached to a socket and not a 5 mm allen wrench. The swap took me about 1.5 hours, but I also had to re-route some of the grounding wires, as I did not want them attached to the plastic plenum. As for Kinetix versus Crawford, versus APS, that comes down to a personal choice. To be honest, had I known about the APS plenum two days earlier, I would have waited and ordered that one. My next mod are the test tubes, I have a pair sitting in the trunk, which I purchased last week. I am going to run the test tubes through the stock exhaust until I have $1,000 in mad money to buy the Stillen system. I am kinda curious to see how they work with the stock exhaust system.

Old 09-21-2004, 06:45 AM

If you do a search, for the last year I've been a skeptic of the plastic plenum. Here are 2 reasons why...

Kinetix problems

more recent Kinetix problems

Old 09-21-2004, 10:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No kidding, those hex screws are in so tight that I @#$% up the one under the throttle body. I almost cried. I spent an entire weekend trying to get it out. I didn't know it was possible to "round" a hex head, but I did. Good news !! when I told my car in for service the dealer said that my throttle body was missing the gasket (a victim of my attempt to get out the screw) and they put in a new throttle body; gasket and screws as a warranty repair.

Cool huh!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Plenum