G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

performance upgrades

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 07:01 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
So many opinions and for the most part they're wrong! There's not a car made that can't be improved upon....fact! This thread started by a member asking for upgrades on his '06, the answer couldn't be easier. MREV2+Spacer, intake and exhaust/ tune. Tony at MotorDyne guarantees no less than a 15 HP/18 lb-ft torque and that's on the low side with only the MREV2/Spacer. That alone is HP you can feel/use and you can pickup another 30+ HP by installing a true-dual exhaust/ HFC's and a tune. Now does that sound like our cars are "Tapped Out?"
Gary

Old 07-18-2010, 07:02 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LOL yeah we do agree on most on things concerning these cars, glad we got that out of the way. I think you just misunderstood a lot of what I wrote or maybe I wasn't that clear lol I love my car, really enjoy it. I wish there were simple ways to increase performance but if you know like I do that dead lol.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by Louisiana G35
LOL yeah we do agree on most on things concerning these cars, glad we got that out of the way. I think you just misunderstood a lot of what I wrote or maybe I wasn't that clear lol I love my car, really enjoy it. I wish there were simple ways to increase performance but if you know like I do that dead lol.
The mods l listed above are easy/simple and why wouldn't you enjoy having another 40+ HP? These are mods you can install yourself, is that not easy and cost effective? I don't understand what you're trying to say in the last sentence?
Gary

Old 07-18-2010, 07:39 PM
Wow here we go again lol. The only reason you recieved those gains is because of the ''TUNE'' as you said. The ''TUNE'' allowed him to ajust the parameters of the engine, timing, air fuel mix, rev limiter,shift points ext. without it the ECU would have only allowed mininal gains from the mods. That's why whenever you do major modifications to the engine it has to be remapped, retuned, or in some cases you have to send the ECU in to be upgraded.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:43 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
Wow here we go again lol. The only reason you recieved those gains is because of the ''TUNE'' as you said. The ''TUNE'' allowed him to ajust the parameters of the engine, timing, air fuel mix, rev limiter,shift points ext. without it the ECU would have only allowed mininal gains from the mods. That's why whenever you do major modifications to the engine it has to be remapped, retuned, or in some cases you have to send the ECU in to be upgraded.
Actually spacer, mrev2, intake, exhaust, hfc/art/test pipes, etc can all be run without a tune and you will still see a very sizable gain in power across the entire power band. Sure you aren't maximizing the use of these until you get a tune but you will still see a substantial gain without a tune.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:56 PM
Yeah it sounds pretty easy but it comes with a price. With all that hp/tq your gas milege has to suffer? In order to get more power you have to add more fuel to the mix and at almost $3.00 a gallon that's the last thing I wonna do. And like I said, my car is a daily drive and not for racing of any kind so I have know need for the added performance lol. Plus changing it will definatly void your warranty if there is any left?lol Im just not the enthusiast that I use to be, been there done that. These are very classy and stylish cars and I like mine the way it is but I enjoy hearing and watching you guys transform your cars into works of art, performance machines, and visions of your on personalities. I believe a persons choice in vehicles says a lot about them.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:06 PM
I agree Xet, you will see a gain in most of the parts you install, it all depends on the use of the vehicle. You usually see the biggest gain with the first mod you install, after that you will only see a fraction in the rest. That's why when they advertise an intake that produces 20 hp it's on a bond stock car, but when you add an exhaust the intake only produces 10 hp. Some people believe that they can add up all the hp numbers from the mods they installed and get all the gains not know that hp can't be stacked. A 20 hp intake and 20 hp exhaust won't get you 40 hp, you make get 12 hp if your lucky lol Am I making since?

Old 07-19-2010, 04:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, buddy...you've sucessfully contradicted yourself throughout this entire thread. If anyone is mistaking posts in here, it's you. The OP asked "As far as performance of my car goes what could i do to increase the horsepower/torque/etc. on my '06 g35?". By you replying that these cars are tapped out is a flat out lie...then you try to justify your response by saying it's about personal preference. Just answer the question.

What is the fourth word in his question? P-E-R-F-O-R-M-A-N-C-E.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:41 PM
Look, i'm not going to go back and forth arguing about this subject. Some people install an intake and exhaust on a Honda Civic and assume they have a high performance sports car witch is a joke. In my ''opinion'' , did you get that? My ''opinion'' these cars don't respond well to the basic mods because they are already pretty good from the factory (intake, exhaust). In order to see real gains you will have to go inside the engine (bigger cam, pistons,lifters ext), or by installing turbos or superchargers witch i don't believe everyone wants to do. It is our responsibility as enthusiast to be honest with other members as to what products work and don't work. If you tell someone that by installing a cold air intake you will gain 20hp and 3 miles to the gallon that's a lie, If you tell them to install an aftermarket exhaust to gain 2 seconds on your 1/4 mile times that's a lie. Everyones level and idea of performance is different. If the gentleman knew the answer he wouldn't have made the post asking the question. The discussions that we all have been having may help him with his desition? maybe not? But he will know that everyone has a difference of opinion and will not always agree on many of these subjects but we can all get along with one another. If you paid attention to my my posts you see that I constantly discussed performance with the other members, shared there views on certain products and how they may affect the drivability of our cars. You on the other hand only focussed on that fact that I may or may not have contradicted myself? And so what if I did? At least I did offer my opinion, you haven't given him the first clue of what he could do to increase performance on his '06 g35'. This post is not about me so why don't you tell the man what he needs to do ''Genius''....NOT

Old 07-19-2010, 02:11 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
Some people install an intake and exhaust on a Honda Civic and assume they have a high performance sports car witch is a joke. In my ''opinion'' , did you get that?
True, but unfortunately their little tin cans can go much faster than ours for much cheaper

Old 07-19-2010, 03:28 PM
What's up Xet lol, Im not so sure about that? We start off with more horsepower from jump street. If you do the same exact mods to both cars there is know way the Civic will keep up. But yes i do agree that the price of the mods and installation may be a little more exspensive. Look at what they have to do to get there rides to perform like ours? New suspention, bigger brakes, bigger engine, plus there is not much luxury in a Civic lol. Now the SI model is a totally different story.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:48 PM
Got a question? When we remove the factory intake air box there is a black bottle that attaches to the bottom of the box. I checked to see if there was an opening for air to enter from it and found that it's basically another resonator. I poured water in it to see where it would go and it obvioisly has a couple holes in it because the water drained under the front bumper. Im thinking of removing the bottle and running a tube from the front valance to the the opening where the bottle would be in order to bring in more cool air from outside the vehicle to the filter , do you think that would be worth the time and effort. I have heard of some people drilling a larger hole near the radiator brackets to allow more cool air to enter the engine and filter area. What do you guys think?

Old 07-19-2010, 07:03 PM
That "bottle" brings in cool air from the bottom but it also picks up moisture due to it's location. Sean (SxExCx) drills a hole in the radiator support and directs cool air to the intake filter. Probably the best idea anyone has had thus far, way better than OE which is restricted by the hood....
Gary

Old 07-19-2010, 07:49 PM
Thanks, I was wondering about that? I saw the area that Sean is talking about, seems like a great location to draw in cold air. The holes in the bottle are very small, maybe the size of a dime or less so I don't see it helping much? seems more like drain holes or a place to catch trash, bugs are whatever else gets in the filter box. The full length intakes "cold air'' use that area to bring in air so you have to remove the bottle. I have the JWT POPCHARGER and Z-TUBE from Z1 MOTORSPORTS witch would be concidered a short ram intake assembly. Im just trying to bring in cooler air due to the fact the filter is exposed to more heat than the sealed box sysytem from the factory.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:49 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R34 Skyline Swap thats what i think my car needs the most i would do to a G well first off if your G is a automatic its a wast of time dont do anything put a for sale sign on it and look for a 6 speed W/Brembo's from 260-280hp to 298hp BIGGG DIFFERENCE then you can get started doing little things like intake, & Rez Delete, you don't need to change the exhaust it sounds like a beast
and yes i agree with Louisiana G35 if you really want to get power you need a Big Turbo with the right tuning you will be pushing low 12sec mabe even 11s if you can sift right

03 G Sport Coupe 6MT W/Brembo's Stage 3 F1 Racing Clutch & Flywheel
Custom Everything (1 Of A KiND)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: performance upgrades