G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Sway bar help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 08:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sway bar help!

I just ordered a set of Hotchkis Sway Bars for my 03 Coupe. I ordered the "Collars" from MCMaster.Com seeing as how they do not come with them.. And have read they really help out.. I dont really intend on taking the car to the track.. Just doing some spirited driving around the Bay area on the weekends. I've read in several threads about the end links snapping or making popping noises because of the extra load the Sways put on them.. So im going to upgrade to a new pair of OEM 05 coupe end links. They're relatively cheap so i figured id just do it while I install my sways... I feel that should suffice seeing as I dont plan on "*******" my car. Soooo.. I was wondering.. Do i need the end links for front and back? Or just rear? Im assuming I need them for both.. But im just not sure. If it's not too much trouble, can someone with a lil experience in this area lend a lil advice to a fellow G owner? Much appreciated.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:35 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
^End links are relatively cheap, I would just replace them all.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:38 PM
Yea... I suppose ur right. Might as well go all around. U know of any sites that offer the OEM end links at a relatively good price?.. Thanks for the help Herrschaft.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:50 PM
^Not OEM, check Ebay or the Market Place on this forum. You probably won't be able to post in the Market Place yet but if they are for sale you can always PM the seller. Aftermarket end links will run around $300 which isn't too bad either.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:10 PM
Found a pair of front and rear on Ebay for about $160 shipped.. I think im going to go with these. I dont THINK I need the aftermarket Links for the $300. Seeing as I plan on going Medium Medium at most with the sways. Hopefully a brand new pair of OEM end links can hold up to the extra stress.. Would u go aftermarket in my position? I really hope im making the right decision.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:25 PM
I think you should be good with the used set, provided they're in good condition. I have an 06 with both the Hotchkis swaybars and coilovers at max setting and haven't had any problems with my end links yet.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:01 PM
OP you shouldn't need aftermarket endlinks at all if you're running at stock ride height. I've heard the '03/'04 endlinks are a worse design, but I've never compared the two. Stepping up to a set of '05+ should be fine.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:20 PM
Thanks BJ.. His name is BJ.. But I digress.. Im on a set of Tein H-Tech springs. The drop isn't dramatic. Only 0.6 front 0.3 back.. I didnt want to compromise ride quality. So i went with these over the S-Tech, which is a little more aggresive. The handling is noticeably better than stock though. I love them. My sways just arrived today. Now im waiting for my collars from McMaster.com. As soon as those arrive Im going to install. Should have pics and review up soon! BTW.. I was just joking about the whole BJ thing... BJ. Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

Last edited by BlackG_03; 07-21-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackG_03
Thanks BJ.. His name is BJ.. LOL.. But I digress.. Im on a set of Tein H-Tech springs. The drop isn't dramatic. Only 0.6 front 0.3 back.. I didnt want to compromise ride quality. So i went with these over the S-Tech, which is a little more aggresive. The handling is noticeably better than stock though. I love them. My sways just arrived today. Now im waiting for my collars from McMaster.com. As soon as those arrive Im going to install. Should have pics and review up soon! BTW.. I was just joking about the whole BJ thing... LOL.. BJ. Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.
im interested to see how this install goes and how long it takes. im looking to go aftermarket sways and edndlinks as well

Old 07-21-2010, 05:41 PM
No problem. I highly recommend dropping the rear exhaust section if possible. I decided against this and it turned install of the rear bar into one big brain teaser. Otherwise, you have to twist and turn it just right to get it into place, and that took me about an hour to figure out.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:41 PM
BJ... Do u have an aftermarket exhaust? I've read in several threads about people with aftermarket exhausts running into that same issue... But they say with the stock exhaust there should be no problem... Is this true?

Old 07-21-2010, 08:50 PM
No I had the stock exhaust in place when I installed mine. There's just not alot of clearance to rotate the bar up and out from under the car, especially if you're just on jackstands. If you're on a lift, it should actually be no problem with the exhaust in place. Like I said, I eventually wiggled mine in place, but I also scratched up the finish on my pretty new sway bars.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:51 PM
Change in plans... Instead of purchasing the end links right now and installing those with the sway bars, im gonna hold off for about a month or so.. I figure my stock end links should hold up fine for a month.. Only 46k on the car.. Im going to set the sways to soft back and front.. Just incase. Then adjust them to Medium Medium once I order the new end links... Instead im gonna get a Motordyne 5/16 Iso thermic plenum spacer. I've only got a K&N CAI as far as engine mods go... I would really like to see what a few more ponies feel like.. I found a site that offers the spacer for $253 shipped... And if it's as rewarding a mod as everyone says it is, that's as far as im goin motor wise. Hopefully the collars I ordered for the sways come in before the weekend.. I will definitely be taking the car up to Lake Sonoma and carving up the backroads. Review will be coming shortly!!!

Old 07-21-2010, 08:56 PM
OK.. Good lookin out BJ.. Unfortunately I dont have access to a lift.. Just jack stands. So if I try to install them and it looks like the exhaust is gonna be an issue, i'll just drop it immediately instead of tryna fool around and wiggle the bar in there. Even though the bars arent gonna be visible.. I still dont wanna scatch these bad boys up!

Old 07-22-2010, 08:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
my 04 coupe has been on my Eibach sways (w/collars) and OEM endlinks for four years doing AutoX five or six times a year. The endlinks have survived without issue so i say spend the money elsewhere. breaking an endlink is not a big deal, not like you'll get stranded or anything. besides, go fast parts are a lot more fun.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sway bar help!