G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

New rattling, buzzing noise from outside. Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 10:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy New rattling, buzzing noise from outside. Help!

I'm devastated as I drive down a nice stretch of roads (it was one of those perfect moments) and I hear this soft rattling / buzzing noise coming from outside....

I was driving with my windows down and I begin to hear a very faint rattling sound almost like buzzing sound (like there is a fly or bee stuck by a window but more consistent). It only happens when the car is moving so I don't think it's my engine or my exhaust. I did pull over and rev up the engine to see if I can create the noise again. I could not.

At first I prayed it was from another car but when I drove by a ramp where there's high wall on the sides, I heard the ratting/buzzing noise bounce back at me at a louder volume. So I confirmed the noise is indeed coming from my car.

I suspected that it may be a dry leaf stuck under the crevice of my hood but I wasn't able to locate any. I have a feeling it might be coming from underneath my car. I have not yet looked under closely to see something might be caught or stuck.

I have recently changed my rotors and pads to slotted rotors and hawk hps pads. I cringe at the thought of something caught in my pad that is brushing against the surface of one of my rotors and hitting every slot... I checked each rotor and didn't see any unusual wear or marks. But I can't be 100% sure as I didn't take the brakes apart.

This is obviously a long shot but has anyone experienced the same problem?

As you can tell I have a mild case of OCD and this other "squeaky sound" coming from the rear every time I make a slow turn is already enough.

Any idea on what it could be? thanks...

Old 08-12-2010, 03:32 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Wheel bearing....jack your car up and see if the tire can be pushed inward outward. If theres play you bearing is going. If you continue to drive like this it will sound like a windtunnel as it fails.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think we have a DYI tread of replacing the wheel bearing right??? check it out

Old 08-13-2010, 12:59 AM
Received 140 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by FrozenInferno
Wheel bearing....jack your car up and see if the tire can be pushed inward outward. If theres play you bearing is going. If you continue to drive like this it will sound like a windtunnel as it fails.
I just had my right rear wheel bearing replaced on Monday..it was making a crackling sound and also sounded like a wind tunnel effect...since it has been replaced no more wind tunnel sound or crackling noises..

Old 08-13-2010, 11:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by IP350GT
I just had my right rear wheel bearing replaced on Monday..it was making a crackling sound and also sounded like a wind tunnel effect...since it has been replaced no more wind tunnel sound or crackling noises..
Hi, good to hear you got rid of your noise. Was the noise sounded like soft winding noise? sort of sounds like tape wound toys? if that makes any sense. The noise I have is pretty uniform at consistent. I'm just wondering what kind of sound a faulty wheel bearing will make..

And cost to fix?

Thanks a bunch

Old 08-26-2010, 02:33 AM
Received 140 Likes on 129 Posts
sorry haven't been on here for a bit...u diagnose the problem...