G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Problem with the window motor --> EMERGENCY STATUS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 01:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with the window motor --> EMERGENCY STATUS

A little background first. My passenger side door lock went out a while ago, bought the parts from riversideinfiniti and got it replaced, right after that, my PS window motor start giving me problems. So I ordered them from Riversideinfiniti again last week, planning on installing it next weekend.

Now, what happen today is that my driverside window motor SUDDENLY died. The WORST part is, it died at the very top position. (you know how you close the door the window goes up by half inch, that's where it is right now) So what happens is that when I open my door, the window don't come down, and so, if i try to close my door, my window wont go into its proper groove. If i shut the door hard, it will bump my upper panel pretty hard as well. In fact, my upper panel is already coming loose.

Now I gonna order another motor from riverside infiniti, hopefully it arrives next weekend. But i want to know is there a way to drop my window by like half an inch ? so at least my door will close properly? I really don't want to disassemble my inner door panel to do that (last time I do it, i cut myself lol..)

Anyway guys, sorry for the long write up, but my doors and windows have bothered me for century. I really expected better reliability from a $40k lux sports car.

I know it's bound to happen sometime in the future,

Old 09-23-2010, 01:43 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
When mine went i got lucky and was able to pound on the door panel while holding the button down and it came down.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by superchargedg
When mine went i got lucky and was able to pound on the door panel while holding the button down and it came down.
lol, that was what I did for my passenger side window. That time was lucky, I pounded pretty hard and it came back up (then I never open it up again). I tried a few times today for my driverside already...it didnt quite work yet, gonna give it a try later today

Old 09-23-2010, 02:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can usually at least pry it down slightly to let it close. You'll probably need to take the panel off so as not to damage anything, but you're replacing the motor anyway. I never had those issues out of my G, but it sounds pretty lame. Do you roll down your windows only occasionally?

Originally Posted by xyz999
I really expected better reliability from a $40k luxo sporty coupe.
Fixed.

Take it for what it's worth though, BMWs are expensive as well and they can't seem to stay together.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by usafdarkhorse
You can usually at least pry it down slightly to let it close. You'll probably need to take the panel off so as not to damage anything, but you're replacing the motor anyway. I never had those issues out of my G, but it sounds pretty lame. Do you roll down your windows only occasionally?
I roll down my driverside window every time i drive, but i never really open it all the way down cuz i am afraid the motor might die down there.

Take apart the inner pannel is a big hassle, with dozen nuts to unscrewed. If there's nothing I can do, I would take it as my last alternative. Now I gonna bang on the door panels a few more times. I usually just hit the part where the window motor is mounted, both from outside and inside. Any other suggestions as to where might work?

Originally Posted by usafdarkhorse
Take it for what it's worth though, BMWs are expensive as well and they can't seem to stay together.
LOL @ luxo sporty coupe. Man, I really like my coupe and all, it's just the little problems that are driving me nuts, especially when I am in university (like now)

Old 09-23-2010, 02:29 PM
It sounds like you might do more harm than good just banging randomly haha. I could physically raise and lower a window when I used to window tint by just pulling or pushing on it. You'll need it down that half an inch to clear that gasket/panel like you said.

See if you can't get it to drop that half inch without taking the panel off, but if you can't, prepare yourself to do it that way.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:36 PM
Thx man. Going out later tonight, I will see what I can do

Old 09-23-2010, 02:52 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
u should be able to push the window down with ur hand about .5 inches. try that. also for the pounding part best to hit it on the gray handle part since its solid and attached to the window panel.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by saywat?
u should be able to push the window down with ur hand about .5 inches. try that. also for the pounding part best to hit it on the gray handle part since its solid and attached to the window panel.
ha...after some fiddling with the window (unable to push it down still), I then pound the handle bar, and the window motor came alive. It is definitely slower than it used to be. I would not bother with rebuilding it myself, so I guess I don't have much choice other than buying a new one

Now I have bought 2window motors and 1door lock actuator. Life sux .

On another note, since I gonna install the window motor for driverside, do you guys think I should buy a door lock actuator as well? My guts tell that it is gonna fail in the not-so-distant future.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:17 PM
i say why not wait for it to break. the door panel isnt that hard to take apart. watd u pay for the window motors? i bought mine from checkers $150 with lifetime warranty and they work great so ive been recommending it to folks esp since it has lifetime warranty

Old 09-23-2010, 09:44 PM
i say why not wait for it to break. the door panel isnt that hard to take apart. watd u pay for the window motors? i bought mine from checkers $150 with lifetime warranty and they work great so ive been recommending it to folks esp since it has lifetime warranty
LOL that's what my mechanics said to me as well. "you dum-bass, y dont you buy a new car while you at it".
And for the window motor you got, is it OEM? (I wanna save the hassle of fitting it into the coupe, not that mechanically inclined) Can you send me a link for it n I will definitely check it out? i got mine from riverside infiniti for 210 incl shipping, best I could do since I am in Canada.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:48 PM
no its not oem but doesnt have to be nor does buying oem always mean its better as u can see the result of it lol. hmm maybe u never bought aftermarket oem parts before but it should always fit like oem. its not like buying a bodykit or anything where u have to worry about fitment lol. call up checkers/oriely.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:14 PM
just checked them out. No international shipping available....lol, sux to be a Canadian

Old 09-23-2010, 10:17 PM
that sucks didnt realize u were in CA. they dont have a checkers equivilant there? im sure other auto parts stores will carry the same parts with the same warranty. but $210 from dealer is actually a pretty good price for canada

Old 09-24-2010, 10:49 AM
no its not oem but doesnt have to be nor does buying oem always mean its better as u can see the result of it lol. hmm maybe u never bought aftermarket oem parts before but it should always fit like oem. its not like buying a bodykit or anything where u have to worry about fitment lol. call up checkers/oriely.
There's no such thing as aftermarket OEM. It would just be "OEM-like". The only thing you could actually call that would be something like Nismo or TRD parts.

For a part like a plastic tray, yeah that would be fine, but for specific parts the OEM pieces are above and beyond better than aftermarket pieces.

In this case, the differing qualities of the electric motors would favor an OEM piece, but the fact that they've been known to break paired with the lifetime warranty of an aftermarket piece makes the aftermarket more favorable.

Can you get lifetime with the OEM window motor?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Problem with the window motor --> EMERGENCY STATUS