G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Who wants a Big Rotor Upgrade kit for Brembo's?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 01:40 PM
Man with green rock in Vortech
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who wants a Big Rotor Upgrade kit for Brembo's?

I am dealing with a company on the west coast that is prepared to do a rotor upgrade kit at an incredible cost. I really need about 5-10 people (5 at minimum) to jump in on this deal and put down a deposit.

Obviously not everyone can fit a 15" brake rotor inside their wheels, but that is going to be the biggest we can go. The rotor kits will feature either 14" or 15" rotors (slotted, drilled or fish hooked) and will be directional vaned rotors. The hats will be completely custom and will be machined out of a nine inch blank. The brackets will all be CNC'd and will be a direct bolt on to the stock brembo application.

These rotor kits will be offered as an upgrade for the front and rear. Typically you do not need to upgrade a standard 13" rear rotor, but if you have 20" wheels (or even some 19" wheels), you can fit a 15" rotor in the front and a 14" (possibly 15" in some applications) rotor in the rear with no problems.

The company I am working with has an incredible reputation and has been around for years. Please send me a PM if you are seriously interested in this offer. There is no firm pricing as of yet, because it all depends on how many people get in on this project to start, but I can tell you it will be right at $1200.00-$1300.00 and the fit and finish will be perfect.

Please do not post in this thread if you feel that larger rotors are unecessary unless we are Nascar cars and etc. This is partially a cosmetic upgrade, but you will greatly reduce heat and improve braking with larger directional vane rotors. Stainless Steel brake lines can be added as an option to this upgrade. You will not need to upgrade your master brake cylinder or brake lines unless you feel necessary; brake lines are recommended.

Jason Sadler

note - stock rotor sizes are 12.87 and 12.90 (front and rear)

Old 10-19-2004, 02:50 PM
Re: Who wants a Big Rotor Upgrade kit for Brembo's?

is this through baer / eradispeed?

Old 10-19-2004, 03:38 PM

Not Baer or Eradispeed.

It's actually through a company that does work for Wilwood and Outlaw.

Old 10-19-2004, 04:02 PM

I would be intersted if they were to make a kit that fit under stock 18's? I would also be willing to give them my car if they needed it for R&D?

I think it is important you mention the whether the rotors themselves will be molded cross drilled, or cross drilled after a solid rotor is produced? This has a major effect on the strength of the rotor? Will they produce different color hats, and will hats and mounting brackets be CNC'd billet 7075?

'03 G Coupe, 6 speed, Bose, Nav, Ivory Pearl / Graphite, 350Z airbox, more MODS to come!

Old 10-19-2004, 04:33 PM

If the front calipers could mount to the rear without modification (which I doubt?), I would consider it, otherwise I would stick with the 2 pot stockers? These stock Brembos are pretty darn good brakes, what people always forget is to change the brake fluid to a good high performance fluid, that makes a HUGE difference, especially when it come to fading problems! Upgraded pads are a must, but I personally would not go with a track pad as 90% of my cars life is on the street!

'03 G Coupe, 6 speed, Bose, Nav, Ivory Pearl / Graphite, 350Z airbox, more MODS to come!

Old 10-19-2004, 07:32 PM

To my knowledge it would be 7075, the same aluminum used on aircrafts and in aftermarket applications for heat shields and other things. The rotors are usually ordered as blanks and then drilled, it is near to impossible to find an affordable pre-drilled blank at the size of 14" or bigger. You would be surprised at how much integrity you actually don't lose. There is a 15.2" brembo brake kit for BMW owners and it uses blanks that get drilled/slotted/etc after construction; I trust that if this is good enough for bmw's and brembo, it's good enough for us.

A 14" rotor kit in the front MAY fit, but it would take a test car to find out and that involves a lot of other factors I am not too keen on getting involved with. These are going to be produced mainly for the people who have upgraded wheels looking to fill up some space and help counter the heavier wheels they have just installed. Granted rotational mass goes up either way, it will prevent fade and overheating of brake fluid.

The hats will probably be offered with an option of anodizing or powdercoating, but will not come standard with it at that price.

There is absolutely no need of upgrade to a 6-piston caliper in the front when the stock brakes were already designed to stop such a large rotor. Obviously if these rotors were being done for the non-brembo's it would be a must to upgrade, but there really is no point. And as for the rear, there is not enough braking distribution between front and rear to warrant a larger caliper out back. You are very correct about the brake fluid, upon installing these it would be a great idea and recommended to change brake fluid.

As a note - I am going to try and find out if I can get a set of 14" rotors made and fit them to my car or a friends car out in Arizona to see if they clear the 18" wheels.

Jason Sadler

Trending Topics

Old 10-19-2004, 09:22 PM

When you do CNC machined billet you are saving a few pounds where you are gaining them in the rotors. Besides the fact that ordering a 13.5" rotor is actually more expensive than a 14" rotor. Rotors are made in standard sizes of 11.8", 12.2", 12.87", 13", 14" and 15". There may be a few mm here and there, but that is what I have been told by a few companies.

You hear 14" or 15" and you automatically think it may be overkill, but our car utilizes some pretty hefty calipers from the get-go that can easily sustain some larger rotors. I have had quite a few conversations with different companies and different manufactures of big brake applications and come to the conclusion that you aren't adding too much un-sprung weight by doing things this way.

Not to cut anyone off, but I'd like to keep the technical side of this to PMs or e-mails so that people don't get discouraged having to do a lot of reading. I would love to continue any of the conversations and I am sure I can learn a few things that may be helpful for this deal along the way.

Thanks,

Jason Sadler

Old 10-20-2004, 12:04 AM

Cool.....I would definately be interested if that is the case? I have not measured, but my guess would be that a 14" rotor would fit the stock 18's? Keep me posted, I will be interested to see what you come up with?

I guess I see what you are saying about the cross drilled rotors? The integrity of the rotor is comprimised when you drill holes in a solid rotor, that is my biggest concern? I am no expert in this field by any means, if they have a technology that helps keep the strength of the rotor by drilling after the fact, I am all ears?

Old 10-20-2004, 08:57 PM

I will try and get some more info on the drilling and integrity..

I am honestly surprised in the lack of interest.. hmm?

Old 10-21-2004, 11:47 AM

don't fret...i am very interested. i have actually contacted baer about this, because i think it is rediculous to buy a big brake kit if you have the Brembos. a larger rotor with a caliper adapter is the answer.

let us know how realistic this is (in terms of coming to the market), and when it will happen.

and as always...pictures speak a blah, blah, blah.

Thanks,
Chad

Old 10-22-2004, 11:42 PM

Are you barely clearing the fact of the brembo caliper by the wheel spokes, or inside the wheel itself? If you are barely clearing by the spokes, the rotor upgrade will not effect that at all. These are only going to decrease the distance between caliper and inside of wheel, not wheel spokes.

I am working on getting a set to my house by mid november. Anyone can order a set now, but it will be higher priced for 1 set. That's why I want to get 5+ people to cut costs for everyone.

jason

Old 10-23-2004, 04:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm interested, but would like to see the final product and how it fits the stock brembos. Will the rotors be 2 piece?

2003 G35 Coupe 6mt Diamond Graphite
AIM= bkchang79
http://www.sounddomain.com/id/bkchang79

Old 10-23-2004, 04:32 PM

Fitament will be perfect, I can already attest to that. And these will be 2-piece rotors, using hats made for wilwood applications and directional vane custom size rotors.

I talked to my manufacturer today and we are going to get a 14" setup asap. If there is anyone in Arizona that can contact me to help out, let me know.

Jason

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who wants a Big Rotor Upgrade kit for Brembo's?