G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Hello. Mustang to G35 owner!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 08:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ Didn't say the G was reliable lol, for an import, G is one of the worse. There are so many problems and TSB but I still drive one and love it.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by Project
Welcome. Never had an issue with my mustang, but each car has its issues. Like most of the people stated the things that are wrong.

Mod bug will hit you, but its not like a 5.0 to reach high hp numbers your going to have to boost. For now a plenum spacer and an exhaust will hold you over. For about a month or so. Gl with both and theres two of us 331 guys(one has a blower) on here in case you have other questions.
My mustang was quite reliable during my freshman year of college, only being out of commission for one week the whole year. After that, once July of 2010 hit,my sophomore year, things just got bad. Blew its second headgasket and just died after that. Barely drove it, it seemed.

And my car will one day have a turbo 331 but like a girlfriend you are getting tired of, I need to take a break and come back.

Any definite suspension mods I should do for the G? My mustang was running a whole MM coilover setup with adjustable rear upper and lower CAs,

Old 10-20-2010, 10:11 AM
XiN
Supersonic... Hypertonic

Received 430 Likes on 278 Posts
Itasha Coupe
Originally Posted by RogerG35
Congrats on pursuing the g35, domestics aren't really reliable.
That's a pretty bold statement to make. This all depends if you're taking care of your car or not. It is called "preventative maintenance." I do understand that some cars are better then others, bust most problems that occur with any car come down to you taking care of the thing.

Originally Posted by RogerG35
^ Didn't say the G was reliable lol, for an import, G is one of the worse.
Again, another bold statement to make. I haven't had any big issues with my car yet. The car does have issues, rear axle click and door motor going out, but these are all easy fixes if you're willing to take the time to actually correct the issue.

As for bigger issues like the OC problem and #6 plug, all can be prevented if you go through the proper steps to ensure you don't have these issues.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:59 AM
That is true because my cousins has an f150 with 200+ miles. But the crowd I hang out with; we hate domestics unless it's a truck. I'm just biased and I just simply hate mustangs. And when you see a car on the side of the freeway it's a domestic or a really old import.

As for the g, it has more issues than most imports and that is why I said it. But I have an 06 non revup and I don't have any major issue. Yes it preventable but most people are having oil consumption, noises, gas tank not filling up correctly, etc.

Originally Posted by konxeptionz
That's a pretty bold statement to make. This all depends if you're taking care of your car or not. It is called "preventative maintenance." I do understand that some cars are better then others, bust most problems that occur with any car come down to you taking care of the thing.

Again, another bold statement to make. I haven't had any big issues with my car yet. The car does have issues, rear axle click and door motor going out, but these are all easy fixes if you're willing to take the time to actually correct the issue.

As for bigger issues like the OC problem and #6 plug, all can be prevented if you go through the proper steps to ensure you don't have these issues.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:20 AM
Congratulations. and welcome. I've had my G for 3 months and I can say I'm a happy camper. I got an 07 6mt. If you want luxury get the premium package. I'm lucky to have bought this car because I was so close to getting a hyundai genesis coupe... right... Hope you find your way around here.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:24 AM
Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
Welcome

Old 10-20-2010, 02:30 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I'm curious what year Mustang you have and how many miles are on it? That was the only other car I seriously considered getting when I ultimately decided to buy the G Coupe. If I'd known the G's engine was already pretty much maxed out short of going forced induction or having a stroker motor built, I probably would be driving a Mustang today.

I don't think you'll be disappointed in the handling of the G vs. the Mustang.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by Irrelevant
I'm curious what year Mustang you have and how many miles are on it?.
It's a 94 or older if he's talking about the old 5.0...

Old 10-20-2010, 05:55 PM
I'm curious what year Mustang you have and how many miles are on it? That was the only other car I seriously considered getting when I ultimately decided to buy the G Coupe. If I'd known the G's engine was already pretty much maxed out short of going forced induction or having a stroker motor built, I probably would be driving a Mustang today.

I don't think you'll be disappointed in the handling of the G vs. the Mustang.
Yes. It's an 87 with a 306 stroker. Was pushing about 330hp. Also had a list of maximum motorsports goodies. Was definitely a fun car. Miles were possibly in the 200k+ range.

And these cars are seriously maxed out? Well, I'm quite used to that in the import crowd. If I have anything to do with the car, it'll be turbo'ed within three years if not less.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by Dj_Seph
Yes. It's an 87 with a 306 stroker. Was pushing about 330hp. Also had a list of maximum motorsports goodies. Was definitely a fun car. Miles were possibly in the 200k+ range.

And these cars are seriously maxed out? Well, I'm quite used to that in the import crowd. If I have anything to do with the car, it'll be turbo'ed within three years if not less.
Cool. I had an '88 LX that I parked in a ten foot deep ditch when I was 24. That was the first, and last car I owned that I paid more than $400 for until almost ten years later.

Bolt-on wise, you're looking at perhaps another 10%-15% increase in horsepower, and to hit the upper end of that range gets relatively expensive. Forced induction, a larger displacement engine, or NOS are the only real ways to get a significant power increase out of the displacement-challenged V-6. The VQ was an engineering masterpiece when it debuted in the '03 model, but unlike American car companies, the Japanese really did their homework and didn't leave many easy performance gains for us gearheads.

After driving an '87 Mustang I think you'll be blown away by the G's handling.

Welcome to the forum.

b.t.w. did you mean to write your car is a 360 stroker? 306 doesn't make sense on an engine that started life at 302 c.i.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:31 PM
Cool. I had an '88 LX that I parked in a ten foot deep ditch when I was 24. That was the first, and last car I owned that I paid more than $400 for until almost ten years later.

Bolt-on wise, you're looking at perhaps another 10%-15% increase in horsepower, and to hit the upper end of that range gets relatively expensive. Forced induction, a larger displacement engine, or NOS are the only real ways to get a significant power increase out of the displacement-challenged V-6. The VQ was an engineering masterpiece when it debuted in the '03 model, but unlike American car companies, the Japanese really did their homework and didn't leave many easy performance gains for us gearheads.

After driving an '87 Mustang I think you'll be blown away by the G's handling.

Welcome to the forum.

b.t.w. did you mean to write your car is a 360 stroker? 306 doesn't make sense on an engine that started life at 302 c.i.
I test drove the G and wasn't blown away sadly. But my mustang was a track rat. It was set up for road racing so the G not wowing me in that aspect was a given.lol but I do love the luxury and ride.

And I ment the 306. It was a free kit. Not much gained from the extra 4c.i.lol

Old 10-21-2010, 05:44 AM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
I would keep the G as a dd. The mustang is easy to mod and also parts are numerous. Im planning a k member swap and swapping in 5 lugs in the back. Havent dyno'ed the car as of now but i am hoping for around 400-420 at the wheels. Add some nitrous or a blowzilla and have some fun. Everyone says domestics are horrible and thats not the truth i have another mustang at home with 180k on the odometer and still running good.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:12 AM
Good luck on your purchase!

Old 10-21-2010, 08:18 AM
congrats on the switch. my 03AT is at 130K miles. only problems ive had are driver window motor. both seat motors. and oil coiler was leaking around the o-ring (easy fix w/ high temp RTV hope your search for your car goes well!

Old 10-21-2010, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by Dj_Seph
I test drove the G and wasn't blown away sadly. But my mustang was a track rat. It was set up for road racing so the G not wowing me in that aspect was a given.lol but I do love the luxury and ride.

And I ment the 306. It was a free kit. Not much gained from the extra 4c.i.lol
Thanks for the clarification. Welcome to the forum and the G35. If you want something similar that's a little more performance oriented with less luxury you might want to take a look at the 350z. Same engine and modification limitations, but 10% less mass to motivate.

Outside of random power window motor failures, power door lock actuator failures, and the aforementioned oil consumption issues on the 06+MT I think the G coupe is a pretty solid car. You'll read a lot of complaints about miscellaneous problems on this board, but I think that's pretty common with any car related message board.

Keep us posted when you find your next car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hello. Mustang to G35 owner!