G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Trouble shifting to 5th and 6th gears after getting new transmission, clutch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 11:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Trouble shifting to 5th and 6th gears after getting new transmission, clutch

Hi everyone, I just replaced my transmission, clutch and flywheel on my 2006 6mt at an infiniti dealer. I had some problems with shifting into the second gear. They initially diagnosed it as a problem with a synchronizer and ordered a new transmission.
Once they opened up my car, they found that it was a problem with the flywheel. so they ended up replacing the entire transmission( under warranty) and the clutch and flywheel( for which i had to pay about $2000).

Now, I am having difficulty shifting into the 5th and 6th gears. All other gears are really easy to shift into. The 5th gear is a bit difficult and the 6th is really difficult and I have to apply a lot of force to shift it into 6th. I don't hear any grinding. This happens both when the car is cold and also when it has been running for some time.

I took it back to the dealer and he says it will become ok after I use it for sometime. But to me, it doesn't seem like something that will go away after use.
Has anyone else come across a similar issue? What could the problem be?
I did a search but could not find similar posts.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
New clutchs and trannys DON'T wear in. The stealership is giving you the runaround. Demand that they work on it until it's fixed. Any probs in the future will be blamed on you and warrenty will be denied. They don't want to work on your car for free, so they say "They all feel like that when new" What crap!! Which dealer is this to you?

Old 10-20-2010, 11:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would go back to your dealership and demand them to change it out free of charge. That's rediculous 2k for new clutch. I'd be mad as hell.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:29 AM
so this is not something that is normally seen after a transmission/clutch replace ?

Old 10-20-2010, 01:51 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
From my experience, replacing a clutch would not make it difficult to switch into gears. Not sure about replacing a transmission. But a new car doesn't have shifting problems, so why would a new tranny cause it?

Old 10-20-2010, 10:46 PM
I took the car to the dealer. I took the technician on a test drive and showed him the issue. He still says it is normal. I asked him to check the car again. he checked it and said there was nothing wrong and asked me to come back if i still had the problem even after a month.
i am worried that there is something wrong that he might have missed and driving it with the problem might make it worse..

Old 10-20-2010, 11:01 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
New cars don't do that, and their transmissions are new when you drive them off the showroom floor.... there's no reason why a new transmission in a not-new car would be any different in regards to ease of shifting. Sounds like you got a bum transmission or the fluid they filled it with is the wrong kind.

Does it make it any easier to shift into 5th and 6th if you double-clutch on your upshifts(rev match before going into the gear)?

Old 10-21-2010, 03:29 AM
Yeah I would say it's something with the fluid but every other gear shifts smooth, so I would think you don't have a new trans. I just got a new trans a few months ago and it feels like butter in every gear.

Also he didn't pay 2000 for a clutch he got a flywheel which is like a grand itself. Clutch was probably 500 and 500 for labor. It's a dealer what do you expect it could always be worse.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe the clutch is gold plated titanium. Complain to Infiniti corperate and the Better Business Beauru, your state's Attourny General and consumer protection agency.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:06 AM
i suggest taking it to another dealer if possible if this dealer keeps telling you this is normal or even ask to speak to a service manager. what you are describing is not normal if they did swap in a new transmission.

are you able to shift into all the gears normally with the engine off and the clutch pedal pressed down?

at any rate, at this stage i would go back to the dealer or even go to a different dealer and get a second opinion. All else fails contact infiniti corporate. I don't think the BBB, CPA or the state attorney need to be contact at this point though.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:01 AM
I have tried rev matching but that does not seem to help it.. also, I have the same problem even when the the car is stopped and the engine is off and the clutch pedal is pressed.
I got mixed responses from other dealers. I called up two other infiniti dealers - one of them said this can be expected, the other said it was not normal but he is charging $120 just to have a look at it..

Old 10-21-2010, 10:18 AM
I think i have the same problem you had before, sometimes its rediculously hard to get it into 2nd, other times its fine. I better bring it in sooon. tomorrow maybe, my warranty runs out in 6 months.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:25 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Typical stealership B.S., new trans/clutch & flywheel should feel like showroom fresh shifting into any gear at any RPM. Why would another dealership charge you to look at your trans if it's under warranty....I really dislike these guys and another reason I only go there for warranty work!
Gary

Old 10-21-2010, 10:37 AM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Dont worry guy i had this same problem.

Heres the fix. The bolts on your shift linkage are loose. Dealerships usually dont torque them and they come loose. Its not what they usually check also. Luckily the dealership noticed i had one missing and replaced it. The linkage only needs to be off by mm to not be able to shift in. Hope this solves it.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:15 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
^ You SURE about that? I thought the G didn't have a shift linkage since the shifter is directly bolted onto the tranny? Someone correct me if I am wrong.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Trouble shifting to 5th and 6th gears after getting new transmission, clutch