G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

what do you guys prefer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 03:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what do you guys prefer?

i'm trying to look to lower my g35 and i was wondering whether i should go with coilovers or springs. which one is less bumpy for the car and what should i get that doesn't wear the shocks out? post up brand names of what i should get. looking to spend around something that's under $1,000 and that's very good quality! looking to drop my car really mean and flush.

thanks for any suggestions or comments! =)

Old 04-28-2011, 04:02 AM
Received 309 Likes on 210 Posts
99.9% of the forum will tell you coils. why? a few reasons. they'll slam you much more than any spring can do. since it sounds like you wanna slam your car, the lowest spring will eventually blow your shocks and struts, then costing you upwards of $500-600 for a new set like d-specs, already making your total somewhere between $800-1000 for springs and shocks/struts. see my point? cost wise, it's the same or cost effective to go with coils. which brings to the next point, no adjustability. higher end coils let you adjust height as well as dampening. since you want a more quality ride, coils will be the better choice again cause of the dampening adjustability.

don't get me wrong, a lot of people are running new or oem shocks with lowering springs, myself included, running oem shocks with eibach sportlines, a 1.5" drop. I love the ride, I like it more than the oem ride. however, when you lower your car with springs you WILL want to lower it more, and more, and more. I didn't think I'd want to be lower, but it only took 2 week for me to want to go slammed, and I will in the summer. you'll prolly eventually want the adjustability too when you visit family out of town and you don't know road conditions or move somewhere with mt. everest of speedbumps.

stance gr+, bc, function& form are the few most common/quality coils to get right now.

keep in mind. you'll also want, or rather more need rear camber kits and front a-arms to get back in alignment specs.

a few links to check out:
https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-...ew-thread.html

https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-...w-updates.html

The following 2 users liked this post by DrewDrew:
Blue Dream (06-22-2011), Xet (06-22-2011)
Old 04-28-2011, 04:05 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Great post timmy

Old 04-28-2011, 04:21 AM
thanks for the quick response! where can I get stance gr+ and what brand new rear camber kits I should get?

Old 04-28-2011, 04:56 AM
Received 309 Likes on 210 Posts
any and all parts you can get here on driver. support your fellow members and especially our vendors, they can seriously hook you up while your at it.

spc is the main rear camber kit everyone goes for. try to stay clear of ichiba, as you'll find some scary threads about ichiba arms/bushings going out.

for front camber/a-arms spl is the best. I've been hearing good things about stillen now too. others don't usually offer enough positive adjustment to get back in spec.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:47 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by timmy4me
others don't usually offer enough positive adjustment to get back in spec.
SPC fronts offer positive adjustment.

Many people will say to just get coilovers because they started out with springs but wanted more options. A set of coils and camber arms will most likely cost you over $1K though. As already mentioned, lowering springs with a decent drop will reduce the life of the OEM shocks which is something you will have to deal with sooner or later, my struts lasted 16K miles after installing Tein S-Techs. I'm not sure what all adjustments are offered with an aftermarket spring/strut combination.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:38 PM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
99.9% of the forum will tell you coils. why? a few reasons. they'll slam you much more than any spring can do. since it sounds like you wanna slam your car, the lowest spring will eventually blow your shocks and struts, then costing you upwards of $500-600 for a new set like d-specs, already making your total somewhere between $800-1000 for springs and shocks/struts. see my point? cost wise, it's the same or cost effective to go with coils. which brings to the next point, no adjustability. higher end coils let you adjust height as well as dampening. since you want a more quality ride, coils will be the better choice again cause of the dampening adjustability.

don't get me wrong, a lot of people are running new or oem shocks with lowering springs, myself included, running oem shocks with eibach sportlines, a 1.5" drop. I love the ride, I like it more than the oem ride. however, when you lower your car with springs you WILL want to lower it more, and more, and more. I didn't think I'd want to be lower, but it only took 2 week for me to want to go slammed, and I will in the summer. you'll prolly eventually want the adjustability too when you visit family out of town and you don't know road conditions or move somewhere with mt. everest of speedbumps.

stance gr+, bc, function& form are the few most common/quality coils to get right now.

keep in mind. you'll also want, or rather more need rear camber kits and front a-arms to get back in alignment specs.

Wow... a poster that didn't post the usual "USE SEARCH DOOODE!".

Great write up man.

Trending Topics

Old 04-28-2011, 06:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i have oem 350z struts coilovers and sprints full set of 4 fs under classified suspension, make me an offer shipped

Old 05-04-2011, 05:29 PM
do you guys think i should get some buddy club coilovers for my 03 g35 coupe? anyone have any reviews on this by any chance?

Old 06-22-2011, 07:50 AM
Originally Posted by truonggnguyenn
do you guys think i should get some buddy club coilovers for my 03 g35 coupe? anyone have any reviews on this by any chance?
bump!

Old 06-22-2011, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May as well raise your budget or give up the coilover dream. Decent coils are close to $1k alone and the cheapest decent camber kits is SPC. I got both kits for $550 I believe. Then I bought some used Tein S Tech springs for like $130. I don't think you can do it right much cheaper than that.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:56 PM
XiN
Supersonic... Hypertonic

Received 430 Likes on 278 Posts
Itasha Coupe
Don't forget that some coils will also offer dampening adjustment, so you can ride as stiff as you want or as soft as you want.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:30 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by truonggnguyenn
Plenty of threads in the suspension forum on these coils.

Nice post, especially considering how new you are. Props bro.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:38 PM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
https://g35driver.com/forums/steerin...lover-kit.html

Lightly used Tein Basic coils in the private classifieds- $600

https://g35driver.com/forums/steerin...amber-kit.html

BNIB Ichiba Rear camber private classifieds $110

http://compare.ebay.com/like/190445226089?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y

BNIB Ichiba front camber- $287

Total (before tax and ship)

$997

I win.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:17 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm happy with my Tein s-techs on stock shocks... will eventually upgrade my shocks but the ride is smooth, no noises, and I don't track the car. So no reason for me to dish out the dough for coilovers... Unless I came across a steal

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: what do you guys prefer?