G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Need help installing Shift light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help installing Shift light

hey guys i just bought a very nice shift light and really looking forward to getting it installed how can i go about doing this? what were do i tap into to get the shift light to work properly... i wish our G's came with a shift light like the Z's but oh well i got one now just need help thanks any help will be appreciated very much so

Old 11-19-2004, 12:45 PM
Premier Dough Slapper
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Need help installing Shift light

In many domestic cars and trucks, they'll have a "tach output" on the coil and or ignition module(s). That's where you would normally tap into to get the shift light to work (besides the obvious power supply). I'm not exactly sure where that plug and or harness is on the G, but I'm certain it must be there somewhere under the hood or under the dash, as it's commonly used by service for certain diagnostic testing. I'll take a peek under my hood later on this afternoon and see if I can locate anything. If anyone has a schematic or if you can get a hold of the ignition diagram for the G, you would be able to locate the + and - side to the coil(s) and you can then use i.e. plug #1 for the shift light.

"See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a *****, but only enough blood to run one at a time."

Old 11-19-2004, 01:05 PM
Premier Dough Slapper
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh yea, another way you can go about doing this, more labor intensive, is taking apart the speedo cluster and finding the tach signal wire (on older Z & SX cars its the blue wire with orange stripe) going right to the tach. You can then splice into it and you're done.

If you know anyone who works for Nissan or Infiniti service, you may want to also ask them, but one thing to remember, even though all you're doing is splicing in a shift light, if something were to go wrong with your tach, and or ignition system, they COULD blame it on the installation of the shift light. They would respectively have to prove that statement, but when push comes to shove, if they want to take you for a ride, they will. Just something to think about...

"See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a *****, but only enough blood to run one at a time."

Old 11-20-2004, 12:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well me and my buddy andy tried to tap into one of the wires for the coil... i think the plug on the left but the dang thing did not work so i have to wait til monday to test it with a tach to see if we are getting a signal... so right now we don't know if it's the wrong wire or the stupid thing doesn't work... so i guess we will see thanks for your help and if you know anything else lemme know