G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Wheel Fitment Question...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 06:47 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Wheel Fitment Question...

Hello, just a couple quick questions...

Will a 20x8.5 wheel with these specs (Offset: +38mm / Backspace: 6 1/8") fit on a stock height 2005 G35 coupe (non-sport pkg)?

I am getting conflicting information and wanted some verification, some say they will only fit the sedan and others say it only fits the G35 coupe with a sports pkg (I guess all G37's are fine with those wheel specs).

Also would 245/35/20's be ok for tires if the rim fitment is ok?

I would like to verify this fitment before I spend a couple hours of driving time getting to the wheels only to discover they do not fit properly (plus wasting $ paying a shop to test fit). I searched but did not find my specific questions asked/answered.

Thank You, very much appreciated!
Jason

Old 06-05-2011, 10:14 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Jason, they will fit but that's the wrong offset for a coupe. They'll be sunk in way to far and not look right. Take your time and find another set with no more than mid 20s offset or mid teens is even better. The 245/30X20" tires will work but if you buy rims the right size for a coupe you'll want wider rims out back which will require at least 275/30X20s.
Gary

Old 06-05-2011, 02:07 PM
Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by DGP-G35
Hello, just a couple quick questions...

Will a 20x8.5 wheel with these specs (Offset: +38mm / Backspace: 6 1/8") fit on a stock height 2005 G35 coupe (non-sport pkg)?

I am getting conflicting information and wanted some verification, some say they will only fit the sedan and others say it only fits the G35 coupe with a sports pkg (I guess all G37's are fine with those wheel specs).

Also would 245/35/20's be ok for tires if the rim fitment is ok?

I would like to verify this fitment before I spend a couple hours of driving time getting to the wheels only to discover they do not fit properly (plus wasting $ paying a shop to test fit). I searched but did not find my specific questions asked/answered.

Thank You, very much appreciated!
Jason
Where at in the PNW are you located?
As Gary stated the offsets are not that great. The wheels will sit about how your stock wheels fit (assuming that you have 18's). For most (99.9%) that look is not desirable. People usually go with a lower offset wheel to push the wheels and tires out a bit. They wont look very good with the offsets you posted, but they will fit.
The 245/35/20 will fit just fine on those wheels and your car (thats what I run up front). I would honestly look for other wheels, preferably a staggered set of wheels so you can run a wider rear tire, or at least a wider non-staggerd set with a lower offset.

Stock height + 20's + high offsets + narrow wheels = bad fitment

Old 06-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
It'll be a waste of time and money.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:37 PM
Thanks everyone, I appreciate your time and expertise with the G.

Rubbing the inside edge was my main concern, the tires are actually 245/35 series and not 30's so they would be a bit closer to the size that is suggested vs 245/30.

I know they would be tucked but I figured with some thin spacers they would still look and function ok... no?

I understand they would not be the flush/dished look that so many are seeking here and while I like that look I think even the stock fitments look good on most G's, especially the 19" rays.

If you click this link http://www.bossmotorsports.com/custo...els.cfm?id=333 and then click the Infiniti G35 link under GALLERY you can see the wheels that I am considering on a sedan ( I guess they'll fit different on a coupe? ).

Thank You,
Jason

Old 06-05-2011, 02:58 PM
Thanks everyone, I appreciate your time and expertise with the G.

Rubbing the inside edge was my main concern, the tires are actually 245/35 series and not 30's so they would be a bit closer to the size that is suggested vs 245/30.

I know they would be tucked but I figured with some thin spacers they would still look and function ok... no?

I understand they would not be the flush/dished look that so many are seeking here and while I like that look I think even the stock fitments look good on most G's, especially the 19" rays.

If you click this link http://www.bossmotorsports.com/custo...els.cfm?id=333 and then click the Infiniti G35 link under GALLERY you can see the wheels that I am considering on a sedan ( I guess they'll fit different on a coupe? ).

Thank You,
Jason

You would probably need a 25+mm spacer for those wheels to sit good.
The coupe and sedan have different fitments, the coupe runs a lower offset.

You are far from rubbing on the inside or outside. I would look for other wheels that have better offsets and widths so you are not limited on tire sizes and have to run spacers. You are looking at another $250 for spacers, so factor that in, if cost is part of your decision.

Are you looking to buy those wheels local?

Old 06-05-2011, 03:30 PM
Wow a plus 25mm spacer, that's more than I was thinking but I certainly do not have enough G experience to know those specifics.

How much difference is the Sedan really from the Coupe regarding offset, is it that drastic to where the wheels will really look far different from the link I gave?

I know a guy that has these and I can buy them for about 1/3 retail so it's not hard to understand why I am hoping they'll work.

Thanks again,
Jason

Trending Topics

Old 06-05-2011, 04:02 PM
The wheels I have on my car fit a coupe nicely with a mild drop. I dont believe that rolling the rear fender is required for them to clear.
20x9 +10mm F and 20x10 +25mm R. On a coupe you can run a 285/30/20 (or 275/30) no problem. On my sedan the front clear fine (im thinking of adding a larger spacer to bring it to +5mm offset, the rear my wheel pokes slightly and the widest tire I can fit is a 255/35/20. I am still messing with the suspension and camber to try to get the wheel flush. My fenders are rolled flat with a slight pull and the wheels are at -2.1 degree of camber.with the TOE dialed in.

I am almost thinking of selling the wheels to go back to a less agressive offset. I just dont want to lose the lip in the rear because thats what sold me on them and got me motivated to make them fit. Well that an I like the design.

My coupe 18's (18x8 +33) sit pretty flush on my car, compared to being sunken in on a coupe.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:15 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Just don't get them, it's a waste. Why bother with them? Look for a set of wheels on the forums. You're gonna need big spacers, not "thin ones"

Old 06-05-2011, 07:16 PM
Well after some research and calculations there is an 8mm difference (.31 inch) from the wheels that I am considering vs. my stock 17's so I do not see a major issue there (as everyone stated they will clear just fine). The 20's are 38mm and stock 17's are 30mm offset. I understand what is the 'IN' look, and I like it too, but if there is something else that I am missing please let me know (besides personal preference/bias). It is also my understanding from years in automotive that there will be less mechanical wear the closer you stay to factory spec., it is technically better for the car to remain as close to OE as possible. In this case less stress on hubs, wheel bearings, suspension, etc (I do still have an extended warranty to consider for another 2.5 years).

I appreciate everyones input and will proceed with caution, if they are indeed too tucked then I simply will not buy them (as suggested). I am still very curious to see the fitment however and I do like the look of the wheels... if nothing else it would make for a great 'air ride' vehicle.

Thanks again,
Jason

Old 06-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Well after some research and calculations there is an 8mm difference (.31 inch) from the wheels that I am considering vs. my stock 17's so I do not see a major issue there (as everyone stated they will clear just fine). The 20's are 38mm and stock 17's are 30mm offset. I understand what is the 'IN' look, and I like it too, but if there is something else that I am missing please let me know (besides personal preference/bias). It is also my understanding from years in automotive that there will be less mechanical wear the closer you stay to factory spec., it is technically better for the car to remain as close to OE as possible. In this case less stress on hubs, wheel bearings, suspension, etc (I do still have an extended warranty to consider for another 2.5 years).

I appreciate everyones input and will proceed with caution, if they are indeed too tucked then I simply will not buy them (as suggested). I am still very curious to see the fitment however and I do like the look of the wheels... if nothing else it would make for a great 'air ride' vehicle.

Thanks again,
Jason
I believe you have the staggered 17x7.5 +30 front and 17x8 +33 rear then. If so your front will extend outwards 5mm from stock and the rear will be 1mm outward.
In comparison I have the same size of tires that you plan to run, but I have a 20x9 +25 offset wheel. I have added a 15mm spacer to get it a little more flush, but it still is not so I think ill be adding a 20mm soon to make it a 20x9 +5mm offset. I have a few spacers in my garage that I plan to play around with this week.
My best advice to you is try the wheels on your car to see how they fit. Dont buy them just because you can get them cheap because you will most likely be back out shopping for new wheels sooner than later. Honestly there are a lot better fitting and looking wheels out there for your car. Check the classifieds here there are always deals there (mine might be there soon). Most importantly take your time, compare pics of other memebers cars to see what you like. Compare offsets and widths. Wheels make or break the car. You can have the coolest wheels in the world, but if they dont fit right you might as well keep the stock wheels.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:05 PM
I have changed my mind and decided against the wheels, thank you for taking the time to respond.

Regards,
Jason