G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Changed reverse light, car won't start?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 12:10 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
Changed reverse light, car won't start?!

So I changed out my reverse light and turned the key on(did not start the car) and put the car into reverse so I could check if the bulb worked. Well after doing so I put everything back. I put the car into park then tried to start the car and it wont start now. All the lights come on and the fuel pump is engaging. What the hell did I do? Can you not put your car into gear when the engine is off? Is this some security feature?

Old 06-15-2011, 12:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sometimes you have to cycle the key from the beginning. try taking the key out and back in again. It could also be a weak battery. Try jump starting it.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by JZeezG35
Sometimes you have to cycle the key from the beginning. try taking the key out and back in again. It could also be a weak battery. Try jump starting it.
I've tried that. I also disconnected the battery and re-connected and nothing. I guess I'll jump start it. Is there any other issue this could be? Should I disconnect my battery for a few hours?

Old 06-15-2011, 02:21 PM
Ok just had my battery tested and its 100%. I'm thinking its the starter now... FML

Old 06-15-2011, 05:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a same, if not, similar problem to yours. Some of my grounding wires were cut near the air intake area, after soldering them back together, my car started just fine. My thread was here if you want to check it out: https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...ries-work.html

Old 06-15-2011, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by khoacalacan
I had a same, if not, similar problem to yours. Some of my grounding wires were cut near the air intake area, after soldering them back together, my car started just fine. My thread was here if you want to check it out: https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...ries-work.html
Yea I saw your thread actually before I posted. It cant be that though bc I just drove the car 10 min before and then parked in my garage. I had it towed and will find out soon what the problem is. Is there a code they can pull for the starter? I wish/hope it is only a ground wire!

Old 06-15-2011, 07:16 PM
Well pep boys just ran a quick diagnostics and found the starter, battery, and alternator all in good working condition. Now they want to charge me $89 for a full diagnostics. They said if it does turn out to be the starter, that they will waive that $89 fee. I'm very curious now. I was starting to think they were just trying to get more money out of me but I argued that if it were the starter then that first test was faulty and so I need a waived fee for the $89 test. So they agreed. We will see...

Old 06-16-2011, 09:46 AM
Ok now they say it's a 648 dollar part bc the car computer won't recognize that it's in park or neutral which is why it won't start?! Could I have just thrown something off by putting the car in reverse without the car on? This seems extreme!!! Help!!

Old 06-16-2011, 10:10 AM
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
^ That sucks and I don;t think that is the issue. While installing a new shift boot you have to put your car in drive without starting it up fully. What pep boys in Charlotte did you take it to?

Old 06-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by walshtj
^ That sucks and I don;t think that is the issue. While installing a new shift boot you have to put your car in drive without starting it up fully. What pep boys in Charlotte did you take it to?
It's called the intelligent power distribution module. I'm actually in rock hill. Nissan said it's probably not that so I'm towing to them now for a more accurate diagnostic. Any other ideas??

Old 06-16-2011, 10:51 AM
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
Not really.. If you were off of Independence I was going to tell you to go to my family mechanic but I think the Nissan Dealership would probably be much more experienced. Could also take it to CIN if Nissan can't find anything.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:07 PM
Wow! So I walked the mechanic through what I did then he started pulling fuses out and checking them. Turns out it was the attc fuse located near the battery! Yup a little ol' fuse was telling my car that it wasn't in park so It wouldn't start! We put a new fuse in and vrrrooommm she started right up! What a relief!!!!!! Glad I actually spoke with the mechanic that was working on my car. I almost shelled out 700 bucks! I can't stop smiling right now

Old 09-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
which fuse is it exactly? the one right by the battery or behind the battery? i am having a simialar problem i was installing a backup camera on my 04 g35 and when i wired everything up, the car isnt starting and reverse lights dont work... so which fuse is it exactly? i dont have a test light :/

Old 09-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts
Just read through the thread. What a huge relief eh? haha. Happy for ya. And good luck to "theoneyouwant".

Old 09-10-2011, 12:55 PM
It's the fuse box behind the battery. Not sure exactly where the fuse is but just start pulling all the 10 amp fuses and check them to see which one is blown. Shouldn't take long to find it. Goodluck

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Changed reverse light, car won't start?!