G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Clear bra for DG coupe? $600??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 02:11 PM
FGC's official flip flopper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear bra for DG coupe? $600??

Just bought a 2005 DG Coupe and its at the dealership. Thinking about clear bra because of all the paint chipping posts. I hate that seam line across the hood though. Is it worth $600 bucks. Thats a lot of money (but the dang thing did cost me $40K).

What do you all think??

Jason

Old 12-04-2004, 02:40 PM
Z2G
YES!!!!! it totally worth it. and at $600, that sounds about right. realistically, unless you get close to the car, you won't really even notice that it's there. it works great at preventing paint chips on the bumper. and it saved me several times when i side-swiped the side of my garage by accident and when a part of blown tire hit my bumper. in both cases, only the clearbra was slightly blemished and scratched but the paint was untouched.

Old 12-04-2004, 02:44 PM
I was thinking about it also, but don't know if I care for it when it comes down to it.

Old 12-04-2004, 02:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would and did. Everytime I wash it or take it in to be washed, I notice plenty of bugs on it. They wipe right off. No telling how many rocks have hit it. I already had a slight pit in my windshield and have heard rocks hit the windhsiled on numerous occassions so I'm sure they are hitting the front bumper. On a 240 I used to own, I had the front bumper repainted. The original paint was still oil-based so other than the damage, the bumper looked great. But after it was painted, with a water based paint, a year later, much of it was chipped. My last car had some similar issues, but not nearly as bad. There may have been some improvements in water-based paint quality, but still not as good as oil-based paints were holding up.

The only downside to them is they tend to get statically charged. It can attract more dust, particularly in dry weather. It's not terrible, but it does make the bra more noticable when it happens.

Old 12-04-2004, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by CKwik
...The only downside to them is they tend to get statically charged. It can attract more dust, particularly in dry weather. It's not terrible, but it does make the bra more noticable when it happens.
If you're having problems with dust, try this. Of course you'll need more products like these but at least the dust will not be a problem any more.

Old 12-04-2004, 05:49 PM
600 is a bargain, that is about what the material lists for on sites like xpel.com. Make sure you see what the quality of your 'free' install is going to look like. Saving a bunch of money is always good, that why I did my wifes sedan myself. Not sure I would recommend it though, it was a pain... My car had it on from the dealer and I couldn't be happier. If you have a hang up about the line, get over it. Most of the time only you will notice it anyway. Besides it is there to protect, not make the car look better... One of my friends has a black SC430 and there are TONS of chips down to the metal, it looks like it is covered by white and silver speckles! When he complained to the dealer in hopes of a free re-paint he was told he should have got the clear bra - it is now offered directly through Lexus... Soooo get it done, but be sure you know what you are getting for your money.

Old 12-04-2004, 09:13 PM
Have you tried checking with the local tinting shops? That's where i got mine done for around $300. You can't see it until you're within 5ft. I think it was Llumar brand. See if you can save yourself the extra $300 with a couple of phone calls.

Last edited by gecko; 12-04-2004 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Adding more information
Old 12-04-2004, 10:06 PM
Where do you live?

If you live in FL, Alan Seligman (407) 833-0505 is the MAN when it comes to clear bras. He did mine in 4 hours and it is AMAZING. The entire front bumper is SEAMLESS and INVISIBLE!

Old 12-04-2004, 10:35 PM
Clear Bra

I live in Ocala but my hometown is West Palm Beach. The car is at Infiniti of Palm Beach. I would hate to drive a couple hundred miles to put on bra (assuming Alan is in Orlando - 407 area code). My feeling is either i put it on immediatly or just live with it.

How much does Alan charge? Is it comparable.

That $600 is for Ultrashield 1/3 Hood / Bumber / mirrors / headlights. And he told me he would wrap all possible edges. I'm still divided...although everyone says you should do it.

Old 12-05-2004, 12:33 AM
what is to think about? You know if you skip it the front end is going to get sandblasted to nothingness... Just have your dealer put it on and be happy!

Old 12-05-2004, 04:14 AM
I have about 110 miles on my coupe now, got it friday.

I can hear some of the rocks hitting underneath when I drive and I dread it.
Most of it comes from road construction and the little tar covered rocks.
I dont know if the spalsh guards help at all, but I hope they do something for 140 bucks.

I'm in South Palm Beach County, anyone know a place so maybe i can get at least a quote?

Old 12-05-2004, 10:35 AM
Re: Clear bra

Originally Posted by lexicon
I'm in South Palm Beach County, anyone know a place so maybe i can get at least a quote?

Another member recommended Auto Super Shield of Boca Raton. A guy named Pepi Feliu was recommended. I called and he gave me a quote (with some G35 discount) of $700 bucks. I thought that was too much and its a 30 minute drive from west palm. That construction on 95 would nick it a few times.

The guy I talked to (Ultrashield) is only about a mile from the inifinit dealership.

The dealer uses autobahnd shield. They quotedme $600 without headlights. So...to summarize:

Dealer - $595.00 (no headlights)
Ultrashield - $600 (Everything and he said he would wrap edges)
SuperShield - $700 (Everything and he was recommended but its a 30 minute drive to Boca)

Still undecided. I have one more night to figure this thing out. Picking my baby up tomorrow.....

Old 12-05-2004, 11:11 AM
Re: Clear bra

Actually, I am now leaning towards the guy in Boca. Maybe if we both go there he'll give us a little discount. Worth a shot.

Old 12-05-2004, 02:37 PM
jki
I had the 3M shield put on the front bumber only for $450 installed. It's definitely worth it for peace of mind. I didn't have the full kit put on (hood/fenders) because I don't like the look of the line across the hood. The installer had a white G35 and with the slightly yellowish shield, the bra was clearly visible.
I'd say that at a minimum, the front bumper istallation is a requirement if you fear the paint chips. I only had 1000 miles on the car and already had 3-4 paint dings before I put on the bra. No dings yet on the unprotected areas, so I am happy with the compromise of not putting on the full kit.

Old 12-05-2004, 07:29 PM
[QUOTE=g8tor20]I live in Ocala but my hometown is West Palm Beach. The car is at Infiniti of Palm Beach. I would hate to drive a couple hundred miles to put on bra (assuming Alan is in Orlando - 407 area code). My feeling is either i put it on immediatly or just live with it.

How much does Alan charge? Is it comparable.

I live near Jacksonville. Alan drove up from Orlando (2+ hour drive) and did the clear bra on my G on Friday in my garage. It was $540. He did it in 4 hours using 3M material. It is perfect. 5 year warranty. He does a car a day. He did a $90,000 Lotus Esprit the day before in Orlando. Neffster from Oviedo (Orlando) recommended Alan to me and I owe Neffster a cold one, that's for sure. I HIGHLY recommend you do this- you won't regret it. The front end on these cars scratches up really easily. It's hard to find good installers of the clear bra who REALLY know what they are doing, and Alan definitely knows what he is doing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clear bra for DG coupe? $600??