G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Car died after I turned the A/C off Help!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car died after I turned the A/C off Help!!

Mmk, as the title says, I'm doing a bit of preliminary research and seeing if any of you have run into a similar problem and perhaps the fix.

This is the most blatant account of the simptoms: I was sitting in the parking lot today with the a/c on. After idling for roughly 4-5 minutes I turn the a/c off and upon pushing the off button, the entire car stalls.

The prior day I was on the highway accellerating passed someone and my car jerked pretty hard, the VDC light slip light and SES light came on. Scared the crap out of me.. because car jerking at full boost = bad... very bad.... My A/C was on at this point too. (this was the first time anything of that nature had happened but no pinging, clicking, anything out of the normal sounding and it remained running on the highway/at highway speeds after the jerk and lights illuminated so I drove it home with no problem after that) I dont normally run A/C, but when I do it doesnt have any problems (sorry for makeing that sound like a dos XX commercial haha but this problem seems to be happening when the A/C is on, which I dont have on often, and leads me to believe the A/C is associated with my car dying) Then again yesterday, after the car had sat for 3-4 hours, I left in it again to run errands, made it about 5 miles away from my house. I was coasting down a hill to a light and the car just stalled with the a/c on agian. This time I pop started it since I was going down the hill. But I came to the stop light at the bottom, turned the a/c off and the car dies again. I was able to pull it aside, and it didnt want to start since the engine was pretty heat soaked (did I mention its turbod? and this has been common for it to take a little more cranks than normal to start after its warm since it had been upgraded) it did start back up after it cooled down for 10-15 seconds and cranked it for about 3 seconds. I had no problem driving it very conservatively home, but still scary.

Each time the car died the VDC and SLIP lights came on along with with SES. I'm getting the codes ran on it later today to see what codes its throwing. So that should shed some light...

After reading some threads it sounds like it could be throttle body not adjusting properly to the a/c idle bump. Or, it could very well be the cam shaft position sensor? The tuning I had on my car has been rock solid for over a year and the car has never exhibited any issues like this before, aside from when I had the UTEC, but that was due to low idle. I have since moved to OSIRIS which has been great.

Has anyone else ran into problems like this, or perhaps read a thread I had missed that has the solution to this little quirk? Any help would be much appreciated

Old 08-01-2011, 07:40 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
No idea, might be a cam position sensor, P0340 I believe, throttle body, or a couple of other things. The codes will tell you a lot.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:45 PM
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
What year is your car? Also how many miles have you been F/I. Also if you did get the codes pulled that will tell you exactly what the problem is. GL!