G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Compass setting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 03:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Compass setting

My G35c is about 3 weeks old.

In the process of reading the manual (yes, I read it!), I saw that the nifty little compass in the dashboard can be adjusted for your location. I'm in Florida (#7 on the map in the manual). The directions are not really clear. I pushed the little button near the compass display after turning the ignition switch on and held it for a while. Saw #8 on the display. Then did this again, but with simultaneous pushing of the compass button and turning of the ignition switch. I managed to see a #7 come up and let go of the compass button. This was yesterday. The compass area went blank, and when I pushed the button again, some blinking dashes showed up. The manual says to bring the car to your dealer if this happens!

This seems to rival programming my G's Homelink garage door opener for a rolling block code for a fun thing to do. Next would be learning how to use the power seat repositioners after tilting the seat backs forward.

This morning, the compass still had dashes instead of compass bearings. I called the dealer and they said to drop by without an appointment and have this looked at. My G must have heard this, because when I got in it to attend to this, the compass was working. It healed itself.

Neat car, IMO. Seriously, I thought this might be of interest to others who might try to adjust the damed thing per instructions in the manual!

Last edited by BobT; 12-10-2004 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:59 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
That's odd. I suspect you just gave it a hissy fit by pushing all the buttons ..lol.

It sounds like it's working now, but make sure it's orientation is correct. IF not then follow the procedure in the book ie: push the comp button until the display flashes then drive slowly (in a parking lot with lots of space) and go in a circle once to the left and once to the right. It's important not to exceed 3 mph while doing this.

This will fine tune your compass so that it gives accurate readings.

G/L

Old 12-10-2004, 06:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, I don't think you read the full directions correctly. I think it is actually on two pages, you might have only read the first page. I don't have them in front of me but I did the same think. I think by you holding the buttons down you actually reprogrammed the compass. After you do this you need to drive the car around in a circle (in a large parking lot) I can not remember but I think it was counter clockwise, and at the speed of around 5 mph and the compass will set itself. Do a searh and you'll probably find more detailed instructions on here.