G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Having a custom exhaust made.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 06:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Having a custom exhaust made.

Wanted to get everyones opinions on the subject. I was told a few things that I wasnt quite sure of by a shop that did the exhaust on my neighbors new Challenger.

They want leave the factory Y pipe and run 2.5" back from there. Then use a magnaflow muffler and re-use my tips. They are only charging me $300 for everything.

He said that making a new Y-Pipe would cause me to lose power.

He also said that running 2 separate pipes would sound bad.. But I mentioned the HKS high power system and he said what he plans on doing will be deeper sounding.

When it comes to exhausts and custom making them.. Im not really sure whats best. What does everyone else think and what would you do differently. Im looking for something very loud. I want there to be no doubt that I have exhaust when I get into the RPMs.

Thanks in advance everyone

**EDIT: Keep in mind I already have headers installed!

Old 10-01-2011, 10:26 PM
No one?

Old 10-01-2011, 11:04 PM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
Custom exhausts are hit or miss, IMO. I've heard a few that sound okay, and others that just sound aweful and lose the unique tone our exhausts have.

For that price, perhaps look into the HKS clones (X02 exhaust)?

Old 10-01-2011, 11:28 PM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
I'd rather spend the money with a company that has lots invested in R&D and have proven gains with great sounds, that way you know what you're getting.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:00 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by dEnbOy.GFM
I'd rather spend the money with a company that has lots invested in R&D and have proven gains with great sounds, that way you know what you're getting.
Oh so true....^....you can have some muffler dude make you a system and it might sound alright since he's using decent mufflers. The main restriction in your exhaust is the OE cats, replacing them with BERK'S HFCs will free up sound and rwhp. You muffler guy's is wrong about a dual cat-back system, nothing sounds better when combined with HFCs or will give you more HP and be legal!
Gary

Old 10-02-2011, 01:28 AM
_
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If you want a loud sounding exhaust. Custom a HKS clone exhaust and throw a muffler delete on it.

Or if you just want a loud exhaust without any custom, get the M2 KCR exhaust. my friend has it and its loud *** hell

Old 10-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
You muffler guy's is wrong about a dual cat-back system, nothing sounds better when combined with HFCs or will give you more HP and be legal!
Gary
Not necessarilly true. An N/A car requires a certain amount of backpressure in order to yield an efficient gain ratio between torque and hp. Sound ofcourse is going to be determined by airflow as well...and too much could easily turn into a raspy, higher frequency pitch. I think muffler design is going to have the most signifigant effect on that in this application though. Either way, the subject could be highly debateable on just what's the "best".

Old 10-02-2011, 05:51 PM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
Originally Posted by Jhambor
Not necessarilly true. An N/A car requires a certain amount of backpressure in order to yield an efficient gain ratio between torque and hp. Sound ofcourse is going to be determined by airflow as well...and too much could easily turn into a raspy, higher frequency pitch. I think muffler design is going to have the most signifigant effect on that in this application though. Either way, the subject could be highly debateable on just what's the "best".
back pressure is not the same as flow velocity. people always come on here ranting about back pressure is needed, it's not, it's never good. people don't add pipes to ensure back pressure, they do it to promote velocity.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:18 PM
What about the OEM Y-pipe? Replace it or leave it..? It looks pretty restrictive..

Old 10-02-2011, 10:03 PM
Better would be to get a HKS replica, (if you can't afford the real thing) better sound than any muffler dudes system and it will work good. Next buy HFCs to get all you can from your exhaust system. Now you'll have a nice system, great sound and added rwhp!
Gary

Old 10-02-2011, 11:51 PM
Arent the catalytic converters part of the OEM Y-Pipe? And doesnt the HKS or HKS clone bolt directly to the headers? Where would the HFCs go with a setup like that?

Old 10-03-2011, 12:24 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by G35LikeaG6
Arent the catalytic converters part of the OEM Y-Pipe? And doesnt the HKS or HKS clone bolt directly to the headers? Where would the HFCs go with a setup like that?
No the cats are separate. They bolt directly to the y pipe. The hks clone bolts to the hfc or stock cat converters; whichever u have. Hfc just take place of stock cats. Nothing fancy lol

Old 10-03-2011, 01:39 AM
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
if you have the funds.. motordyne shockwave tdx v2 and ART pipes and call it a night. LOUD and proven hp gains.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:20 AM
_
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
throw a muffler delete on a hks clone. super loud

Old 10-03-2011, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by ___
throw a muffler delete on a hks clone. super loud
Why would you buy something new that works and then screw it up? If he wants more sound ART pipes or if you want to be legal HFCs will work best....muffler delete?
Gary

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Having a custom exhaust made.