G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Realistic Gains?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2011 | 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by rdeverett
Yeah, I don't expect to get race car-like performance after a few bolt-ons but a noticeable difference will be nice. Did you get a tune as well? If so, what kind of numbers did you reach?
Yeah, I have the Osiris Standard...so it's an eTune. Obviously not as good as having it dyno-tuned...but I didn't want to spend another $3-400 on dyno time, plus the extra $200 Osiris Tuner costs over Standard. Would be interesting to see if there's really a noticeable difference between the eTune and dyno though.

Old 10-06-2011 | 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by walshtj
Y-pipe will not add much power, but will change the sound. Those are great mod choices and you may actually be able to get more power than that at the rear wheels depending on your tuning. And +1 with Gary, if you do want a full cat-back exhaust go with MD TDX V2. That should add another 10 or so hp tuned but you dont get the great stock exhaust note. GL!
+2 on what these guys said... you should dyno your car sometime soon and share the numbers with us

Old 10-06-2011 | 02:30 PM
N80
dleted double post

Old 10-06-2011 | 02:31 PM
N80
What do you want with the extra horsepower and where in the RPM range do you expect to find it? Just curious. Some folks just like to see that dyno printout. Some like to drag race at stoplights.

Before spending that much money for a few extra HP at 6800 I'd ask myself why and what it will mean in actual use.

In terms of very real performance gains I'd say better brakes, shocks, springs and sways will get you a lot more than bolt on hp mods.

Old 10-06-2011 | 07:10 PM
Xet
Originally Posted by N80
What do you want with the extra horsepower and where in the RPM range do you expect to find it? Just curious. Some folks just like to see that dyno printout. Some like to drag race at stoplights.

Before spending that much money for a few extra HP at 6800 I'd ask myself why and what it will mean in actual use.

In terms of very real performance gains I'd say better brakes, shocks, springs and sways will get you a lot more than bolt on hp mods.
All of his mods are going to give him very substantial gains in the usable range, at least the mods he listed aren't designed to put all the power at the top end and nothing in the normal range, MD specifically designed their products to make huge changes in the curve at normal rpm ranges. Sure he isn't going to post 300+ or 350+ whp numbers but he is like most of us who decided they want to have a lot more fun and usable power with their car instead of just being a dyno queen.

Old 10-06-2011 | 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by Xet
All of his mods are going to give him very substantial gains in the usable range, at least the mods he listed aren't designed to put all the power at the top end and nothing in the normal range, MD specifically designed their products to make huge changes in the curve at normal rpm ranges. Sure he isn't going to post 300+ or 350+ whp numbers but he is like most of us who decided they want to have a lot more fun and usable power with their car instead of just being a dyno queen.
Really? Do you have all the same mods? Because "very substantial" and "huge changes" is a far cry from reality...in my book atleast.

Old 10-07-2011 | 12:05 AM
Originally Posted by Jhambor
Really? Do you have all the same mods? Because "very substantial" and "huge changes" is a far cry from reality...in my book atleast.
A peak gain of 20+ HP and TQ with a much better powercurve will certainly be noticeable.

Old 10-07-2011 | 01:38 AM
Xet
Originally Posted by Jhambor
Better than personal experiences are the dynos provided by Tony and others that go with MD products, those speak for themselves.Now like I said, if you are expecting 300, 350, 400+ whp you are barking up the wrong tree. But the OP is clearly not expecting that. Don't be butt hurt that you were expecting a 400whp car from your boltons and are unhappy now.

Old 10-07-2011 | 02:13 AM
|
Originally Posted by jstudrawa
rdeverett, i've got the 5AT, and I have the 5/16's Motordyne plenum as well as a custom made, gold lined ice cold air intake powered by Dyson's air blade technology (read: z tube).

I'll be doing the HFC's next and then a tune.

Anyway, when you get to the tuning stage, post when and where. I'd love to see it first hand before I get mine done, if at all possible. I'm in Dunwoody, so I can shoot anywhere.
I'll let you know whenever I get the tune. It will be at least early 2012 when I get it done. I hate dumping a whole lot of money into my car at once so it will be a little bit.

Originally Posted by R10T_x
+2 on what these guys said... you should dyno your car sometime soon and share the numbers with us
I'll bring this thread back from the dead when I do get it tuned and post the numbers.

Originally Posted by N80

I would like more power in the midrange and maybe a tad in the lower end since I'm already happy with the higher RPMs on my near stock G. I plan on tracking it every once in a while when I'm done modding.

I've already done some work on my brakes (EBC slotted rotors + Project Mu B-force pads) and I've got some revised Z springs in my garage I just need to order my Tokico HPs this weekend.

Originally Posted by Xet
Exactly. I just want my car to be a little more fun and not get completely embarrassed whenever I decide to track/autoX it. Anything above 275whp would be great IMO but I'm expecting around 265whp. I'm REALLY looking forward to the amplified stock exhaust note. It's already like sex for my ears.

Old 10-07-2011 | 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by rdeverett
Anyone from the Atlanta area have any preference of where I should get a tune? It's between Z1 Motorsports and Forged Performance.
Im in the Atlanta area, from my personal experience I would say z1. Had a way expensive quote from forged, took it to z1 and lower price and they were very customer friendly, if that makes sense. Anyways just my two cents, but I would make the drive to z1 over forged ANY day

Old 10-07-2011 | 02:13 PM
I'm in ATL as well... everyone says Forged if overpriced... No personal exp with either but from my research Z1 is the place to go.

Old 10-07-2011 | 06:48 PM
I heard Forged Performance has a heart breaker dyno...you will be lucky to see your goals if you tune there. Good luck!

Old 10-07-2011 | 10:14 PM
|
Originally Posted by Randall
Im in the Atlanta area, from my personal experience I would say z1. Had a way expensive quote from forged, took it to z1 and lower price and they were very customer friendly, if that makes sense. Anyways just my two cents, but I would make the drive to z1 over forged ANY day
Originally Posted by KnowScott
I'm in ATL as well... everyone says Forged if overpriced... No personal exp with either but from my research Z1 is the place to go.
Originally Posted by silver g
I heard Forged Performance has a heart breaker dyno...you will be lucky to see your goals if you tune there. Good luck!
Thanks for the info. I was slightly leaning towards Z1 to start with since I've bought some parts from them and have been happy thus far. A friend of mine also got his Z tuned at Z1 and said it was a pleasant experience. I'm hoping I get better results than he did though. He has an 04 Z with intake, 5/16" regular spacer, HKS replica exhaust, and possibly 1 or 2 other mods I'm forgetting. His baseline was 245whp and after the tune he was pushing 251whp. That's about $100 per HP....

Old 10-07-2011 | 11:03 PM
If your looking for horsepower stick with boost if your going for looks stick to body not sure what your trying to do you want horse power but dont want to change the sound of the exhaust?

Old 10-07-2011 | 11:25 PM
|
Originally Posted by 90fairladyz87
If your looking for horsepower stick with boost if your going for looks stick to body not sure what your trying to do you want horse power but dont want to change the sound of the exhaust?
I may go FI years down the road when I have another daily driver and $9k laying around. For now, I want a few more ponies under the hood while amplifying the stock exhaust note. I don't want to change the sound, just make it a little louder, hence the reason I will never have a full aftermarket exhaust.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Realistic Gains?