G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

What is this? Pics included

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 03:19 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I don;t know Herrschaft in the slightest either way, but never confuse money or power (of any sort) with wisdom/knowledge.

His HP isn't the issue, the panels are to IMPROVE aerodynamics. I have no idea how much. Might be a little, might be a lot. I have never seen our cars in a windtunnel or been strapped underneath while on the highway.

The point is, it's USEFUL in some fashion. Herrschaft has the power to overcome damn near any wind issue, so using him as an example doesn't apply.

Drive on the highway with your windows open, probably affects aero more, but it all affects the car in some way, just like using regular vs. premium gas, wider tires, stiffer shocks, etc.

Edit: No offense meant to Herrchaft, obviously.

Last edited by jstudrawa; 10-27-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:22 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
^Edit: none taken
Originally Posted by MADtotheA
Wasn't this an option with the aero package? Meaning a lot of cars don't have these at all? Herrschaft said he took them off over a year ago and he's pushing some pretty serious horsepower. I don't think he would have done it if it were that big a deal. Not to mention, mine are hanging lol and I don't notice anything. There actually causing more drag right now. I don't think they would help much with dirt/debris either because they are still very exposed even if they were bolted up.
They're not very important. Maybe they increase the top speed by 1mph or save .05mpg but they're just about useless IMO. I took mine off because they were damaged from scraping all the time. And my power output doesn't have any effect with these plastic panels.

Last edited by herrschaft; 10-27-2011 at 06:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MADtotheA (10-27-2011)
Old 10-27-2011, 03:24 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
Gary, these were the aero pack. AKA a factory option, so some car (most) didn't come with them.

Making them not a vital piece in protection of the suspension components....

They reduce the coefficient drag by a .1 IIRC. Contact member Andrei for the specs, he was having them built aftermarket.

MADtotheA (10-27-2011)
Old 10-27-2011, 03:31 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by herrschaft
They're not very important. Maybe they increase the top speed by 1mph or save .05mpg but they're just about useless IMO.I took mine off because they were damaged from scraping all the time. And my power output doesn't have any effect with these plastic panels.
Yea that's what I figured. I know they help to some degree, but not enough for anyone to notice.

Originally Posted by 4DGS
Gary, these were the aero pack. AKA a factory option, so some car (most) didn't come with them.

Making them not a vital piece in protection of the suspension components....

They reduce the coefficient drag by a .1 IIRC. Contact member Andrei for the specs, he was having them built aftermarket.
I also read this which only strengthens my understanding more. I'm keeping them on simply because they look harder to take off then for me to just buy a bolt/nut for each side and screw it in. I wish i knew what size bolt to get but it probably doesn't have to be exact, as long as it fits snug I should be good.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by jstudrawa
I don;t know Herrschaft in the slightest either way, but never confuse money or power (of any sort) with wisdom/knowledge.

His HP isn't the issue, the panels are to IMPROVE aerodynamics. I have no idea how much. Might be a little, might be a lot. I have never seen our cars in a windtunnel or been strapped underneath while on the highway.

The point is, it's USEFUL in some fashion. Herrschaft has the power to overcome damn near any wind issue, so using him as an example doesn't apply.

Drive on the highway with your windows open, probably affects aero more, but it all affects the car in some way, just like using regular vs. premium gas, wider tires, stiffer shocks, etc.

Edit: No offense meant to Herrchaft, obviously.
It does apply but we won't go there. I wasn't taking his HP into account, I have been reading his post for quite a few months and he seems to have a good knowledge of these cars. That's what I based my decision on.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:39 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
Exactly, if they aren't dragging off the car I would recommend leaving them on.

Probably helps hit vtec quicker I'm sure of it.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:40 PM
It does apply but we won't go there. I wasn't taking his HP into account, I have been reading his post for quite a few months and he seems to have a good knowledge of these cars. That's what I based my decision on.
My apologies, I was remarking on your reference to his power in the post I quoted previously.

If you had stated the above, I would have agreed with you more readily.

I was trying to make the point that most everything on the car is useful in some way.

Again, sorry about that.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
I have been reading his post for quite a few months and he seems to have a good knowledge of these cars. That's what I based my decision on.
Only in the performance area, regarding much else...... I think the bolts are 10mm and they're pretty easy to take off.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by 4DGS
Exactly, if they aren't dragging off the car I would recommend leaving them on.

Probably helps hit vtec quicker I'm sure of it.
VTEC FTMFW hahaha

Originally Posted by jstudrawa
My apologies, I was remarking on your reference to his power in the post I quoted previously.

If you had stated the above, I would have agreed with you more readily.

I was trying to make the point that most everything on the car is useful in some way.

Again, sorry about that.
Yea should have been more clear myself. I really just meant, he wouldn't have spent the money he has and then take off something that would help his performance. That would just be counter productive. Anyway, no worries buddy.

Originally Posted by herrschaft
Only in the performance area, regarding much else...... I think the bolts are 10mm and they're pretty easy to take off.
SHHHH I was trying to make you look good

I think they're 10mm too, I just tried 14mm and it was just a little too big. Thanks man

Old 10-27-2011, 03:58 PM
Double post.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:01 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by LoSt180
I wouldn't, they are actually a functional part for aerodynamics.
When I bought my G it came with a sport package but without spoiler. I later bought a spoiler from a dealer and it came with those two plastic things that you got to attach somewhere under the rear wheels of the car. I tossed that chit into a trash, bolted on a spoiler and went for a drive.

Since then I did 155mph and I can safely say that my car did not get airborne or showed any signs of nonfunctional aerodynamics.

I say that those things are Nissans way of taking out a trash...........they mold it into some retarded piece of plastic, attach it to a car and make you pay for it as a part of aerodynamics package.

Also my G since then endured over 100k miles on it's suspension components and not a single problem, I have not even changed my bushings yet.

Those things are same as a batt cover that is under the hood. I'm sure it's important...........it keep the electricity from escaping the battery compartment and staying in the battery.........great, very useful piece of plastic.

Last edited by JOKER; 10-27-2011 at 04:34 PM.
MADtotheA (10-27-2011)
Old 10-27-2011, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by JOKER
When I bought my G it came with a sport package but without spoiler. I later bought a spoiler from a dealer and it came with those two plastic things that you got to attach somewhere under the rear wheels of the car. I tossed that chit into a trash, bolted on a spoiler and went for a drive.

Since then I did 155mph and I can safely say that my car did not get air born or showed any signs of nonfunctional aerodynamics.

I say that those things are Nissans way of taking out a trash...........they mold it into some retarded piece of plastic, attach it to a car and make you pay for it as a part of aerodynamics package.

Also my G since then endured over 100k miles on it's suspension components and not a single problem, I have not even changed my bushings yet.

Those things are same as a batt cover that is under the hood. I'm sure it's important...........it keep the electricity from escaping the battery compartment and staying in the battery.........great, very useful piece of plastic.
Glad you didn't go airborne lol
I definitely would never pay for these things but I would pay for a spoiler. Sounds like they just threw some "trash" in with it haha.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:41 AM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
They do serve a function. they reduce aerodynamic drag and reduce lift at high speeds. It helps put more power to the ground as you get to higher speeds and improves gas mileage. Have you guys ever looked under a mercedes or BMW? majority of the underbody is covered except for maybe the exhaust and cats.

I had a huge underbody shield on my mercedes c32 AMG, i thought it was useless and I took it off. At 75mph + i could feel the whole front end lift as i speed up more. When i put the underbody shield back on, that lift feeling went away.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
They do serve a function. they reduce aerodynamic drag and reduce lift at high speeds. It helps put more power to the ground as you get to higher speeds and improves gas mileage. Have you guys ever looked under a mercedes or BMW? majority of the underbody is covered except for maybe the exhaust and cats.

I had a huge underbody shield on my mercedes c32 AMG, i thought it was useless and I took it off. At 75mph + i could feel the whole front end lift as i speed up more. When i put the underbody shield back on, that lift feeling went away.
We've already concluded this except that it is very minimal due to the size of these diffusers.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:23 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
We've already concluded this except that it is very minimal due to the size of these diffusers.
it also helps with high speed stability. I don't know if nissan designed the g35 to go 155+ mph but all the BMW and Mercedes are and they do help a lot when you get into 100 + mph speeds. Just because your Butt dyno doesn't feel it doesn't mean its not working.

The point is, it helps reduce drag, helps with the gas mileage, helps with high speed stability and doesn't hurt you to have. So no real point in taking it off.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What is this? Pics included