G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

MY G is making a loug engine noise (YouTube video included)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 08:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry MY G is making a loug engine noise (YouTube video included) [SOLVED]

Hey G experts,

Year: 2004
Mileage: 100k
Transmission: Automatic

My G's engine started making a really loud and rapid clanking. I regularly check the engine oil, however I checked it after a few days hearing this noise and it was BLACK

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-2dQ...ature=youtu.be

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? The closest Infiniti dealership to not that close, I would rather get your opinions before I drive there!

thanks and FML

Last edited by prada.robot; 01-11-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:16 PM

Received 802 Likes on 678 Posts
G35 Sedan
sounds serious, any engine codes?

Old 01-10-2012, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by JaE35
sounds serious, any engine codes?
Hey, I haven't had a diagnostic test on it yet... just trying to grasp how bad the problem is before I drive it 30km to the dealership.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:19 PM
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
Sounds like something is hitting the fans.... Weird noise.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by 04G35NYC
Sounds like something is hitting the fans.... Weird noise.
In person, it sounds like it's directly coming from the engine :S

anyone think it could be a damaged piston??

Old 01-10-2012, 08:44 PM
Received 300 Likes on 192 Posts
I guess a better video with a small engine rev would be better. It sounds like something in the fan, weird valve tap, or a leak in the exhaust.

Last edited by Pepper; 01-10-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by Pepper
I guess a better video with a small engine rev would be better. It sounds like something in the fan, weird vavle tap, or a leak in the exhaust.
So from the replies, I shouldn't be too too worried to drive it up to the dealership.

I'll let you guys know what they tell me.

Thanks for the feedback!

Old 01-10-2012, 09:19 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by prada.robot
So from the replies, I shouldn't be too too worried to drive it up to the dealership.

I'll let you guys know what they tell me.

Thanks for the feedback!
Personally, I'd have it towed to a private shop.... and not a dealership. I definitely wouldn't drive it in that state if it's as far as you say to a dealer.

It could be a busted valve/lifter or something, but it's kinda tough to tell from the video. Either way, it sounds pretty bad and not worth risking on a drive.

If you have AAA, you should use that to have them tow it to a local auto repair shop.

Does it go away if you let the car idle for a while? Sometimes a sticky lifter will make a noise something like that for a few seconds and then go away once the car warms up a bit.

Can you describe the circumstances around the time when you first heard this noise? Did it start doing it as you were driving one day, or did it just do it one morning when you started the car up cold?

The following users liked this post:
prada.robot (01-11-2012)
Old 01-10-2012, 09:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
From your vid, sound like your fan is going bad. When did you last change oil and what type of oil did you used? Some oil turn black faster but back does not = bad.

prada.robot (01-11-2012)
Old 01-10-2012, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by partyman66
Personally, I'd have it towed to a private shop.... and not a dealership. I definitely wouldn't drive it in that state if it's as far as you say to a dealer.

It could be a busted valve/lifter or something, but it's kinda tough to tell from the video. Either way, it sounds pretty bad and not worth risking on a drive.

If you have AAA, you should use that to have them tow it to a local auto repair shop.

Does it go away if you let the car idle for a while? Sometimes a sticky lifter will make a noise something like that for a few seconds and then go away once the car warms up a bit.

Can you describe the circumstances around the time when you first heard this noise? Did it start doing it as you were driving one day, or did it just do it one morning when you started the car up cold?
Hey, i found a AAA recommended auto shop that's 10 mins away so i'll take it there, thanks for the recommendation.

The timing of the sound goes like this: Once the engine turns on, sound is very loud then levels off to a constant loudness.... when i accelerate in first the noise increases a tiny bit and when i i take my foot off the accelerator and allow a coast the noise is *almost* gone until i accelerate again...

Originally Posted by dunut
From your vid, sound like your fan is going bad. When did you last change oil and what type of oil did you used? Some oil turn black faster but back does not = bad.
I can't remember when i last changed the oil but according to the sticker on my window, theres around 2k left till I have to change it again - it was changed at the dealership so oil quality shouldn't be a factor?

i'll let you guys know what happens... i have a feeling i'm going to have to drop a lot of dollars...

Old 01-10-2012, 10:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey G experts,

Year: 2004
Mileage: 100k
Transmission: Automatic

My G's engine started making a really loud and rapid clanking. I regularly check the engine oil,however I checked it after a few days hearing this noise and it was BLACK

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-2dQ...ature=youtu.be

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? The closest Infiniti dealership to not that close, I would rather get your opinions before I drive there!

thanks and FML
You asked question about your oil so I shine in about oil, still think it could be your fan from the video.

=I can't remember when i last changed the oil but according to the sticker on my window, theres around 2k left till I have to change it again - it was changed at the dealership so oil quality shouldn't be a factor?
If you didn't bring your own oil and filler to the stealership than it a big factor. Are you sure that they even change the oil or filler? Just my 2cent, I got ripped off by the dealership too many time.

prada.robot (01-11-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 09:03 AM
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
whoa thats scary sounding...you should really get familiar with your area and find a reputable shop yourself...not what AAA recommends....and yeah dont take it to the dealer unless you under warranty lol

prada.robot (01-11-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 06:26 PM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
OB '04 Coupe Premium w/Performance Wheel & Tire
First ever VQ diesel conversion!
Maybe when you took it in to get your oil changed at the stealership, they hooked you up with a bio-diesel conversion. On your next visit to Mcdonalds, ask for a jug of used fryer oil and fill her up, maybe the noise will go away, jk. I'm wondering if it could be an exhaust leak, possibly a cracked manifold, sounds scary enough to to want to drive it. If your oil was black with 2k left until your next change then maybe you should start doing your own oil changes, seems to me like they might be skipping your filter . Sub'd for results and good luck.

prada.robot (01-11-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 06:57 PM
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
sometimes it may seem like the noise is coming from the engine are but it could be from somewhere else, just try using a long screwdriver and see if you can get a bit more specific about the noise?

good luck though!

prada.robot (01-11-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 07:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it sounds like a lifter/seal on the top end.. had a vehicle that made that same noise after being started and run without any oil..

prada.robot (01-11-2012)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MY G is making a loug engine noise (YouTube video included)