Depressing day

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 03:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear about this...

Old 01-15-2012, 09:43 AM
Try new England wheel and wheel covers in Manchester,nh they usually can beat any price. They specialize in oem take offs.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:45 AM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
As I see it with your budget you have two options....find the local Nissan/Infiniti boneward in your area and buy a wheel from them or check your directory for wheel repair shops and have your wheel fixed correctly. I like the first option best....Gary

Old 01-15-2012, 10:03 PM
Day not bad enough? Go outside now....battery is dead

Old 01-15-2012, 10:08 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Maggot
Day not bad enough? Go outside now....battery is dead
Haha... I think mine is probably dead right now too. It's like 7 degrees out, and I haven't started it in about 10 days.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:10 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
robertsons salvage in Wareham normally has decent prices on OEM wheels if they have them.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:28 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Something else to think about... Perhaps instead of replacing with OE wheels, replace the axle (2) with a pair of aftermarket wheels of similar dimensions. When money permits, replace the other two.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by partyman66
Haha... I think mine is probably dead right now too. It's like 7 degrees out, and I haven't started it in about 10 days.
Wow... I just checked, and apparently it's been more like a month since I last started my car. It's 28 out right now and miraculously, it just started without even needing a jump on the original battery from '04. I never pulled the battery this year yet because I usually put my motorcycle away for the year first before I do with the G35... and the bike is still out. Normally I'm more on top of this, but sorta took it for granted that the battery would be dead after even 3 days of cold weather without running, since it's been a bit weak even during the summer at times. I'm very intrigued by the fact that it still started.... hmmm. I don't know if I've ever had a crappy OEM battery on any car I ever owned before last this long..... Going on 8 years now, with a lot of time spent sitting idle.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by partyman66
Wow... I just checked, and apparently it's been more like a month since I last started my car. It's 28 out right now and miraculously, it just started without even needing a jump on the original battery from '04. I never pulled the battery this year yet because I usually put my motorcycle away for the year first before I do with the G35... and the bike is still out. Normally I'm more on top of this, but sorta took it for granted that the battery would be dead after even 3 days of cold weather without running, since it's been a bit weak even during the summer at times. I'm very intrigued by the fact that it still started.... hmmm. I don't know if I've ever had a crappy OEM battery on any car I ever owned before last this long..... Going on 8 years now, with a lot of time spent sitting idle.
My car started the 2 times I needed it yesterday, so I have hopes of it being ok for the winter. My girl is offering up cash to help me with the rim or battery. I told her no, but she's gonna end up just buying the battery or something if I don't eventually accept it.

I've got to check that place in Wareham still. I also haven't been able to find any Nissan/Infiniti yards around here on google. I've got a couple calls out to some other used places. I'm really shooting for something like $150ish to fit. I found one at $125, but I'd need to trust someone to go and buy it and then ship it to me. He hasn't had a car for like a year though, so I'm not sure how it's gonna work out.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:35 PM
I do mostly city driving, so I've been basically dealing with this still as I look for one I can afford. I may have a line on one for $117 shipped. Calling them up tomorrow

Old 02-16-2012, 11:38 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I do mostly city driving, so I've been basically dealing with this still as I look for one I can afford. I may have a line on one for $117 shipped. Calling them up tomorrow
I mean this in the absolute nicest way possible, and absolutely no disrespect but if you are struggling to come up with a few hundred dollars to get a replacement rim, I'm not sure this is the car for you. What are you going to do when something else mechanically comes up? Anytime you are dealing with a car thats not under warranty I've learned the hard way to have reserve funds. If money is tight you should be driving an economical car. Once again no disrespect, just observation.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:19 AM
Originally Posted by TheBigG
I mean this in the absolute nicest way possible, and absolutely no disrespect but if you are struggling to come up with a few hundred dollars to get a replacement rim, I'm not sure this is the car for you. What are you going to do when something else mechanically comes up? Anytime you are dealing with a car thats not under warranty I've learned the hard way to have reserve funds. If money is tight you should be driving an economical car. Once again no disrespect, just observation.
A G35 isn't an economical vehicle, but it's far from exorbitant in terms of pricing of parts. There are cheap alternatives out there for the economist shopper looking to just buy something that works and isn't necessarily designed purely for 100% optimal performance and top notch looks. Tires might be a bad example, since our cars have large tires, but you can buy a cheaper brand of tire for about half to 1/3 of the price of the highest-end tires options. Keep in mind that most newer cars have huge tires anyways... gone are the days of 13 and 14 inch pizza cutters being standard on anything. You can get replacement brake parts pretty cheap as well, and order just about anything else you need online from some vendor or online wholesale distributor for super cheap.

The key is to never buy anything from a local Infiniti dealer directly. You should be able to buy just about any part that you need for significantly less than dealer cost by either buying the Nissan equivalent part from your local Nissan dealer if they're compatible(for example, transmission fluid), or by purchasing cheaper aftermarket alternatives.

I've had my G35 since I bought it new in '04 and I've spent around $1000 total on the car for every single maintenance item I've done or replacement part I've put into it (not including motor oil changes) COMBINED, and that includes a set of 4 tires, front and rear brake pads, a set of belts, replaced all fluids at least once, and even put on a new side mirror due to someone maliciously breaking it off in a parking lot. Granted, I do all my own work.... but that's not bad for a semi-luxury/sport vehicle.

Don't ever judge your vehicle expenses based on dealership prices when you need to replace parts, or even a Kia will burn a hole in your pocket.

Last edited by partyman66; 02-17-2012 at 05:31 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by TheBigG
I own a business, which comes first. The winter is a tough time for it, so all my extra funds go into an account to keep it running during the winter. The other rims I looked at fell through in the $200 area. $350+ is just not doable. Other than those that have been on sale since I started looking no one is really looking to sell a single rim. Luckily for me tax time is here and the business will start ramping up again.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:17 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I own a business, which comes first. The winter is a tough time for it, so all my extra funds go into an account to keep it running during the winter. The other rims I looked at fell through in the $200 area. $350+ is just not doable. Other than those that have been on sale since I started looking no one is really looking to sell a single rim. Luckily for me tax time is here and the business will start ramping up again.
I agree your work comes first and its a good attitude to have. I was more or less just wondering. I generally keep a good 500-1000 in an account solely for repairs on cars just incase. And the above poster is correct there aren't HORRIBLY expensive cars to own, but they are slightly more expensive than say a Honda Civic or something of that matter. Good luck on the wheel search dude

Old 02-17-2012, 05:20 PM
Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts
I picked up a spare set of Ray's in perfect condition with tires here in Orlando for $400 so lemme know if your looking for a front or a rear and ill see what we can work out....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Depressing day